Darling's 2k incentive to scrap your motor..

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by theboymike, Apr 13, 2009.

1. paul_c Forum Member

Never thought I'd see the day that they introduce this, but ho-hum.

This will split the REAL car enthusiasts from those simply running an old car to take advantage of the scheme. I wonder how many people will buy an old car, keep it for a year then buy a new one? And thus how much effect it will have on the prices of old cars?

2. Andy947 Forum Addict

Read it, its ends in March 2010, so if you don't already own the car you wont be eligible.

3. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Exactly, which will stop people going out and buying 2nd hand cars now to take advantage. Also, if someone has recently bought a 2nd hand car, they are also going to have to wait quite a while before they can scrap it to get the 2k discount.

4. paul_c Forum Member

Yeah, now read the details - so that loophole isn't available.

5. penny71 Forum Member

This 2000 system is a nonsense from an environmental point of view.

When you take the whole life of a car (from extracting the all the raw materials from the ground) 75% of the energy is used to build it and the remaining 25% is used to run it for its lifetime.
    SO buying and running old cars is the greenest choice.

We are the most inefficient throw away society in history and will leave it to other generations to deal with it !

6. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Do you have to KEEP the new car for a certain period? What's to stop me scrapping one of my old cars for 2000, buying a new one with money my "mate" has "lent" me, then giving the car straight to him? Seems there could be a few loopholes - glad I've got a few scrappable cars.:lol:

7. paul_c Forum Member

Old car to be scrapped, needs to be registered to you for >1 year and have an MoT. New car needs to be registered to same owner as old car. Other than that, your plan would work.

8. rocco2litre

rocco2litre Forum Junkie

out in africa, they re build any bike/car they can
    old peageots and mercs running about from the 70's
    Like top gears tests on so called green cars, they dont do what the makers say....
    plus all the damage done by making batteries for toyoto priarses.

9. theboymike Forum Junkie

Bugger. At least in their defence the 1yr thing should stop it pushing up the price of old motors.

Does anyone have a link to the full document? Is there a finite span of time before you can sell the new car? Any stipulations as to the state of the old car? I'm wondering if someone in search of a new car would like to "lend" me 16k so I can chop in my slightly bent old valver (shell) and "sell" the new car to them at a grand off list [8D]

10. POL

pol Forum Member

as far as i am aware the car being traded in for the 2k must be mot'd as well.

11. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

That would work grand - I could throw an MoT on it for 100, have owned most of them for over a year, and could buy it in my name with his money. Then sell it to him for the same price the same day, we split the 2000. Win!
    I'm sure there will be soething to prevent this, otherwise breakers will be making a mint...

12. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

There will be plenty of bent garages ready to pass them - just like a few years ago, when the N. Irish MoT system was backed up for months. Garages in Stranraer and Troon did great business.
    Suspension? Well, that's a twisty road and you got here OK, must be alright. Brakes? I saw you stop outside, so they are OK. Tyres? I'll take your word for it, I'm busy at the minute. 60 please, here's your cert.
    That's basically exactly what my mum got when she went over - the guy went out to where she parked, walked round it, asked if everything seemed OK to her. She said yes, the guy wrote her out the MoT there and then.

13. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

what a stupid rule!! so scrap a car that is perfectly road legal!!!

14. ev nutter Forum Member

sCRAP scheme

the goverment are bringing in a incentive that already exists as car manufacturers were already doing this as every manufacturer around the world signed up to recycle spent cars they had made.

And on top of this like any ''trade in'' you got a discount anyway so that salesmen got that sale what advantage are we getting 10yrs ha we've been using 'Eco' cars since 92 which was classed as a benchmark in environmentally friendly.

Were in debit so i know lets get more in debit by pushing you to get rid of your pride and joys GOOD ONE i couldnt believe it when it came out the last thing anybody needs at the moment is get further down the never never

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  15. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Were you drunk when you posted that? This isn't "recycling" old cars, it's crushing them. How are those brake disc retaining screws going BTW, still keeping your wheels from falling off?:lol:

16. ev nutter Forum Member

Firstly you feeling better tsc
    What they doing with them crushed cars then just living them sat there no they get melted down and of what cars they do sell building new.

To qualify for that scheme I'm told the car has to be motd for a full 12 mths before you scrap it but for the cars you'd be using your getting rid because its not cost effective

Who's going to spend money on welding,new tyres and brake pads to get it through the test to just to get 2k off a new car when after all these repairs you've got no discount at all

17. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

TBQFH most of them ,if not all,are sh** and deserve to be scrapped.
    As for the 2k scrappage ,what a load of tosh.Thinly disguised smokescreen from the real issues which are that they will get back any revenue lost many times over by other means.

18. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

thats what i thought, all bottom of the range, hub caps missing beat up pieces of cr@p. Admitidly some were a newer reg than i was expecting, but its only people that have neglected cars or boring bottom of the rangers that will do it imo. So they can go buy another mitsibushi lancer, 1.6 gl or what ever the f*** they are called.

its not compulsary so stop fretting!!!! no one's coming to crush your mk2 :)

19. 20VDan Forum Member

When I saw the Daewoo Matiz & Citroen Popemobiles all I was worried about was that their steel could be used in a decent car next. Who'd want a new GTi with Daewoo DNA in it! [eek]

20. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Frankly I think this idea has it`s merits...

If I can scrap the Polo sh*t-box for two grand against a new GTI, then bring it on...:thumbup: