Darling's 2k incentive to scrap your motor..

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by theboymike, Apr 13, 2009.

1. vidfletch Forum Member

2. leontdi Forum Member

oh right , god i hate this goverment when they do something like this its always to divert the attention from something else dodgy they are up to.

3. vidfletch Forum Member

Scrappage Hell

Been reading about some of the cars scrapped through the scrappage scheme. It's shocking what's been scrapped for new piles of Korean crap.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/blogs/anyt...5/20/cars-that-have-been-scrapped-so-far.aspx

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/240299/

Whether you like some of the cars being scrapped, this is bad news for the classic car scene in general. A Bond Equipe for a Picanto or Rio? Why? Surely there must be a lot of work to get a car like that even MOT'd. Why throw it away for something so dull and plastic? It makes no sense.

All these cars need to be MOT'd to qualify so most must be in reasonable condition. I wonder if there's a good trade for dodgy MOT stations supplying MOT's???

Vidfletch

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

mentalist. a woman at work is gonna scrap a 1998 fiesta shiit box for a new KA... fair dos

would i scrap the golf for a kia or hyundia? foook off. ill bet everything mine is more reliable, drinks less, maybe as safe and much faster... scrap the 928 for a new yawn mobile? what do you gain other than depreciation from a new car?!

5. turbotommy Forum Member

I'm picking the cars up atm & yes just yesterday i picked up a rare car and it was crushed (like they have to be) it is a crying shame for a few (worth much more in parts alone) but they need to have been MOT'd & taxed for the last 12 months too qualify so no good getting a dodgy MOT & some tax for the shed in your garden now etc...

6. vidfletch Forum Member

I was looking at the rules on this;

The government scrappage payment applies to cars or vans under 3.5 tonnes, first registered on or before August 31, 1999, only when traded-in against new cars. The scrapped vehicle must have been registered to the purchaser for at least 12 months preceding the purchase of the vehicle and have valid tax, insurance and an MOT.

So as long as you have had the car longer than 12 months then a dodgy MOT and you are away!

Vidfletch

7. brushdaft

brushdaft Forum Member

At least MK3's are safe then.:thumbup:

8. nealey Forum Junkie

I cant understand why the car needs to be mot'd and taxed when all they are doing is scrapping them

9. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Because they get a good few hundred quid off you before letting you have 2 grand off something that by the looks of it (on the basis of the crap people are buying) cost about 50 quid to make.

Personally. I hate this. I want them to go away and die. I read one of those links and I was nearly sick. I love classic cars, they were way better than the hideous crap we get now. Further more:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

10. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Why? Surely you mean Mk4s? Just.

11. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

So you can't drag a rotting shell you've had lying around for years to a dealer and cash in I guess.

12. vidfletch Forum Member

With old buildings we give them Listed Building status and there's outcry if anything happens to them. Old cars on the other hand are held in disdain by the powers that be. I don't think it matter who is in charge, something like this would always have been put in place.

Vidfletch

13. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

is "scrappage" even a word?

14. vidfletch Forum Member

Yes. It means Bo**ocks. :lol:

Vidfletch

15. lufbramatt Forum Member

as sad as that list posted above is, many thousands of 'classics" have been smashed to pieces by the banger boys every weekend, and no-one bats an eyelid over them. theres even special races for pre-1960 cars etc.

most of the cars that are gonna get traded in would probably need a good few hundred quid to get through the next MOT anyway.

16. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

It's the new buzz-word of 2009, instead of credit-crunch :lol:

They've put a faded red Astra-G on the forecourt at work with

"SCRAPPAGE available here" in bright YELLOW stickers :lol:

I did laugh the other day, the salesmen were putting leaflets in all the customer's cars about this new Scrappage thing, I said "That's great, the service dept gives the car a clean bill of health, the sales team are advising to scrap the bloody things"

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  17. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

I still hate it. It's damn disgraceful how there's vehicles out there that deserve to be museum pieces can end up being small cubes.