Darling's 2k incentive to scrap your motor..

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by theboymike, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Admin Guest

being pulled apart in the mornings news right now.

Basically saying its pants and you can get a car cheaper yourself with a bit of looking about.

2. theboymike Forum Junkie

BBC News

Some say it's not generous enough, which is kind of fair considering that it includes a grand from the manufacturers, who have been offering similar incentives for a while so really the only bonus is the grand from the government.

Since it would take a lot of new cars only a couple of months to lose 1k in depreciation, I can see why people are still going with year old motors etc.

It's similar to the house price / stamp duty thing. A grand off is all well and good, but when the prices are falling by three times that per month, who's going to bother?

Still all a misguided and pointless waste of taxpayers money tbh, as if they hadn't squandered enough already :thumbd:

3. vidfletch Forum Member

I still say that 99% of those driving 10 year old cars do so because they can't afford a new one. 1000 or 2000 extra is not going to change that for the vast majority of people. Especially if they want to buy like for like.

AutoExpress had a feature on "scrappage bargains" which included a 30000 Jaguar XF!!!

Vidfletch

4. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

True, but for many, myself included, it`s the deposit required for a new car that is the sticking point.

I can easily afford the finance payments, but being sh*t at saving (and impatient) it `d be months before I raised a deposit, so if they were to give me two grand for the Polo, I`d be extremely happy...

5. MarkP

MarkP Forum Member

I have a mk3 8v - suspension is goosed, think one of the alloys is cracked or something as it consistently fails to hold pressure (2 changes of tyre) it leaks oil, coolant etc. etc. I'm planning to get the bare minimum to get it through its MOT and then it can go to VW heaven. However given I get it's MOT and I've owned it for 12 months (the criteria as I see it) what's to stop me stripping every last part off it all but pushing it into the stealers forecourt and dumping it there and then buying a new car with my dads money and immediately signing it over to him?

The bits I strip out would cover the cost of getting it through MOT and a bit more I think.

Is there a flaw in my plan?

6. Admin Guest

it was the way the scheme is set up. the BBC example was the incentive to trade in your car to get 2k off a brand new car was rubbished when you looked at the same model car but it was a year old, the money you'd get for trading in your current car was lost as the one year old was 3k cheaper anyway, even after your 2k trade in.

Its a b*llocks scheme which needs to be dropped and this have a new car every three years to keep up with the Jones mentality needs to be wiped out, this is why we have many thousands of cars sitting doing nothing on airfields round the country.

7. brushdaft

brushdaft Forum Member

Very good point.

8. vidfletch Forum Member

9. theboymike Forum Junkie

Spot on :thumbup:

Selfishness, materialism and greed are the primary reasons we're in this whole economic mess. If we want to stop this happening again we need a shift in the shallow government and media peddled values held by the majority in this country.

A new car every 3yrs, a 42" plasma telly and a house you can't afford on a 110% morgage does not automatically makes you happy, nor increases your worth as a human being [:x]

10. G-Man Forum Junkie

11. deepdishtj Forum Member

12. rocco2litre

rocco2litre Forum Junkie

cant see many people using the scheme anyway, too many t&c's
    like 2k is going to make me spend 18k plus on a new gti

13. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

doesn't the car your buying have to be a 'green car' also, under a certain co2 i guesse. If so, your not going to swap a valver for a 1.2 green euro box.

14. Matt G Forum Member

unless you cant be chewed with the valver not starting on a morning....again!

15. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

A guy at my work is on about cashing in a J-reg 16v in grey that he has sat on his drive. Such a shame.

16. t'mill Forum Member

A lot of the late spec Mk2 GTI's (especially valvers) command more than 2k anyway, so folk could be short changing themselves.

17. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

I thought it was only for the first 3000 people? waste of time anyway you should be able to get 2grand off with a p/x aswell anyway.

18. leontdi Forum Member

does this mean the dealers have to actually scrap them as in on the v5 as there may suddenly be alot of decentish hot hatch stuff that people have traded for an eco gordan brown friendly **** box.

i think dealers are crafty and may sell on , its a waste of good servicable cars otherwise , and have people really got 8 to 10 k to spend in a recession ?

19. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

If you can't get a dealer to knock 2 grand off an asking price then you shouldn't really be going and buying from a dealer. Learn to haggle with them and you won't need trade in.

20. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Not possible, the scheme doesn't allow it. No loop holes for it to happen. At the moment this scheme isn't working anyway, due to vat issues and from a VW point of view theres no stock pile of new cars in the country.