Digital Dash wiring Questions?

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by caddy_pimpin', Aug 29, 2011.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

buggered if i know :lol:
    is there a diagram for that hazard switch anywhere? or is it the same as the switch piccy above? if so, are the 1 2 3 pins on both sides of the switch separate, if you know what i mean?

i.e. is pin 2 on the left side of the switch not connected to pin 2 on the right side internally, does that make sense [:s]

2. caddy_pimpin' Forum Member

Jonny, it's the same switch style, as the wiring diagram I first posted up!

Yes I believe the 1.2.3 pins on each side are on seperate channels if that makes sense

3. caddy_pimpin' Forum Member

I found this diagram on a kit car forum (i think)

Not sure how applicable it is to the caddy's wiring,

[​IMG]

4. rubjonny

cool thats exactly what you need for the hazard switch :thumbup:

problem is, without the hazard switch you'll only be able to have the hazards on if the ignition is on unfortunately!

ok, so what you need to do is join the black/blue to the white wire, to get the indicators to work. next you need to join the black/white/green wire to both terminal 1 pins on the switch. finally put the black/green to one of the terminal 1 pins, and the black/white to the other, done :thumbup:

the only way to have it like oem mk1 is if you got a switch with 3 channels thru it :(

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  5. rubjonny

actually after a bit more thought, you coudl make it work as per std.

you would put the red wire to pin 1, white to pin 2, and blue/black to pin 3.

then on the other side, black/white/green to pin 1 and add a length of wire from the spades on the black/white and black/green wires, to pin 2. you would need to put a diode on both of these wires, to stop any voltage going back to the switch from either side.

basically, because the hazard and indicator wires are joined at the hazard switch if you run them both to the same pin on your new switch all your lights will flash if you select left or right on the stalk. the diode is like an electrical 1 way valve so it will stop the voltage from pin L on the stalk travelling down your new bit of wire to the R wires, and vice versa. Does that make sense?

6. caddy_pimpin' Forum Member

jonny, I don't mind if the hazards don't work with the ignition off. i don't leave my car places and put them on or anything like that.

The side light and headlight switches are wired to the ignition now too.

I had a friend round not long ago, and I tried to flash the full beam using the indicator stalk with no joy

Thanks for that though will go and have a crack at the hazards

Fingers crossed :)

7. rubjonny

does it switch from dipped to main beam ok? if not did you definitely hook the plastic tab over the flasher switch?

8. caddy_pimpin' Forum Member

Should the dipped/mainbeam on the stalk engage in a physical position? Should it lock into place when selecting either, if that makes sense?

I started this work without really doing any driving of the car to find out. (first VW too)

There was a little plastic piece with a hooked part on the end that went over the back.

What specific diodes would I need to solder in to the hazard switch wiring?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/search?criteria=diode&page=1

9. rubjonny

it wont feel like its any different when dip/main is selected, all there is to worry about is the hook is clipped into the switch at the base. if you feel a nice solid click when pulling back then its all located fine.

as i say can you select dip/main beam ok?

you only need the diodes if you want it to work all as per oem with hazards with ign off, indicators with ign on, if you dont care about hazards only working with ign on then wire it up as per my earlier post, no need for diodes :)

10. caddy_pimpin' Forum Member

I will go and have a look now.

To be honest I just want to get the dash in the car and operational now :)

If I have some spare time in the future I might look at getting things spot on, much to your dismay I imagine :)

11. rubjonny

cool, if the dip/main works fine then check you have 12v to the red/yel wire on the flasher switch, no fuse for this one goes to fusebox pin B/13

12. caddy_pimpin' Forum Member

Rubjonny,

I tried your first suggestion Re: Hazard wiring.
    I only read Terminal 1 I didn't see anything about pin 2, so I made my best guess as follows :)

1 Side of switch:
    Pin 1 - White & Blk/Blu Joined
    Pin 2 - Black/Green

Side 2 of Switch -
    Pin 1 - Black/white/green
    Pin 2 - Black/white

With the ignition switch on, and hazard switch pressed this gave - Passenger side flashing, Drivers side fixed on.

The wires left over were; White/Red (thick)
    Brown - switch light earth?
    White/Blue - Switch lighting?

After splitting the lightswitch into seperate headlight and side light switches, these were the wires left over - (could explain the dip/main on stalk not doing anything?)

Yellow
    Brown - bulb earth?
    Black/yellow (thin)

White/Blue
    Red - 12 v +ve
    Black/Yellow (thick)

13. rubjonny

oops, slight error in that post I said terminal 1 twice :lol:

corrected and bolded some stuff to make it clearer:
    red/yel is the live feed, which cant be used unless you mess about as per my latyer post or get a 3 way switch. blue/white and brown are for the light in the switch.

:thumbup:

black/yellow wires are ign live feeds for the light switch which dont do anything anymore, with the flasher stalk check the 12v feed as per my last post :)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  14. caddy_pimpin' Forum Member

Thanks man, so much for your help. :)

I joined Blue/black & white and insulated them.

I have 1 Black/white/Green going to each pin 1

Then the Black/white and black/green each going to pin 2

Indicators work independantly from the stalk, and when the hazard button is pressed all indicators flash as they should.

Using the Brown to pin B for the LED, and Blue/white to pin A for the LED I don't get any illumination :(

If I leave the earth in place on B, and do a link wire from Either PIN 1 to A then I get the LED to flash as the OEM did, but once I turn the switch off I get a nasty buzzing noise from the fusebox area!
    And if I try the indicators via the stalk with this link in place then the hazard switch flashes..

15. rubjonny

what do you want the switch to do, light up with dash lights or flash with hazards? or both?

16. caddy_pimpin' Forum Member

The simple option - well what i was already able to do was to get it to light up with the igntion, using the feeds I have going to the other switch lighting. Then it just glows a constant red whilst the ignition is on. I did this just as a test to have a look at it.

However, if possible I would like it to flash with the hazards whilst the switch is on, and not be illuminated at all other times, just like the oem switch would do.

17. rubjonny

if you want it to come on with the other lights then how you did it first should work using the brown and the grey/blue, assuming the brown is earthed at the other end and the grey/blue wire has lights on power. i cant remember what you did with the dimmer output from the light switch?

if you want it to flash with hazards then you'll need to link it to one of the pin 2 terminals :)

you could be a bit more poncy and put in the grey/blue lights feed as well with a resistor, then it would be like oem and glow dim with lights ad flash bright with hazards :lol:

18. caddy_pimpin' Forum Member

I really need a multimeter!

I have only managed to blow one fuse so far , and no fires yet thankfully :)

I *think* the dimmer output from the light switch is no longer connected to anything, but I will investigate.

I do have a soldering iron somewhere too. There's nothing poncey making things look as sweet as can be, I'll just be happy for now though to have it flashing with the hazards switched on only.

I'm eager to get the dash in now as I finished covering it with the last pieces of leather last night

19. rubjonny

yeah definitely get yourself one!

if the dimmer wire is off now then the dash lights wont get power, if you go back to grey/blue that used to go to the headlight switch then put the power to that. either give it an ign live or splice to sidelight power :)

20. caddy_pimpin' Forum Member

I used to have one, but it only rarely got used so I think I sold it to a pikey at a car boot sale for about 20p :(

I'm using a digital dash remember :) That gets it's power from the IGN live and lights up accordingly. I need to check with the new switches, but when I've had it out there to test it did dim automatically when the Old light switch was pressed.

Sorry, there's a lot going on in this thread! From senders to switches, Broken stalks to wiring. But there's not a chance I'd have got it to this stage without your help

Will go out to the car now, to try the LED connected to one of the PIN 2's and I will see if it flashes with the hazards.