Digital Dash wiring Questions?

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by caddy_pimpin', Aug 29, 2011.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

think you're going to have to go back over the entire wiring harness and have a bloody good look!

yeah i meant bridge with a bit of wire, this was to rule out ign switch as source of the problem. nexy you need to trace all the ign wiring back to the fusebox to check for dodgyness

2. caddy_pimpin' Forum Member

Thanks jonny, yes I just linked them with a wire but it made no difference.

Last time I turned the ignition on the sidelights being on had dissapeared, I had a good look and nothing appeared to be either touching one another, I will give it a good going over though.

My new heater switch came, so I will try that and see if that is a goer or not.

I have spent a couple of days trying to CAD up some design ideas for the new dash build.

I'm unsure whether to follow a route like last time, using a wood frame and foam contruction and fibreglass over them. For a simple, symmetrical design I think it might be best that way..

Or I don't know whether to try the method stretching fleece material over the forms/mounting panels.

I just want it too look good! and not bodged..

It's a tricky shape the caddy/mk1 dash as the original intruments are positioned higher than the rear of the dash where the windscreen/vents are.

Anyway see what you think. Any design ideas are welcome! :) Better to resolve any issues now and have less making up as I go along.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I haven't put the heater panel in as yet. But basically, I would like to have a pair of 13cm Dash speakers, a stereo, 4 gauges, Instrument panel and a switch panel. Outer layer will be Carbon Fibre, I would like to have the panel pieces recessed and would cover them in leather.

Cheers

3. rubjonny

tough call, i like #1 for the simple lines, but kinda like 3 as well. 1 would be easier to trim thats for sure

4. caddy_pimpin' Forum Member

This one won't be covered in Leather (not making that mistake again!) for the main body, only the small panels for mounting things which will be removable/

Anyway I'll keep you posted. I'm going to get in the car and start making the templates, hopefully later today.

Cheers as always

5. caddy_pimpin' Forum Member

Tried the new blower switch, no joy there!

The sidelights being on, which I just thought was random is not, they come on (without the switch pressed) when the indicator stalk is clicked down or up.

I'm going to take a break from thinking about wiring problems for a little while, and get this #2 dash made. Hopefully be ready by late next week.

6. rubjonny

sounds like the parking lights, this is normal if the ignition is off ;)

what it could be is how you wired them to the switch you have lost the separate left/right ability of the parking lights, so instead they all come on at once

7. caddy_pimpin' Forum Member

I didn't know there were such things! :)

When the new dash has been made I will give everything a good going over noting down exactly what's what. Really want to fix the wiper/blower issue. Then it's just setting up the dash really. Setting up the fuel gauge sounds like a pain in the batty. Then additional gauges as and when I can afford them.