DSG gearbox swaps

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by RobT, Dec 29, 2007.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Yes, they look in the ballpark here too :thumbup:

2. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=202511

3. vwaudi Forum Member

I know what you are getting at but it would take a reasonable amount of effort to get it to work. New castings, input/output spines and a final drive assembly. My other concern is that the gears and shafts would not be strong enough for the torque especial 1st and 2nd gears. If you are going down this road it may be simpler design a sequential barrel/system to go in the 02A or 02M gearboxes.

A standalone DSG would be interesting in a road car but may take a substantial amount of effort and suspect that some of the control stuff is patented which may stop any aftermarket controller. With respects the weight issue I am sure the DSG gear box could be sent on diet to remove some weight to but 25kg is allot to find.

4. Mikey C Forum Member

i agree, it would take a massive amount of effort to put into practice. Just throwing the idea in there, that particular box takes 250Nm in the bike.

Its not something i'd be interested in doing, any jobs like this would take a massive amount of time, and would inevitably cost a lot, and you might not end up with something that works very well.

Having seen first hand the amount of development that goes into OEM stuff, i'm now of the opinion that major modifications like this are best left well alone, or follow tried and tested routes. Some enjoy it, but i personally would hate to pay more for something that is ultimately less reliable/usable.

Mike

5. emmmx New Member

I'm new to the club and I know this is a pretty old thread but I'm surprised that nobody mentions the vw scirocco gt24 and how successful it was from day 1.
    Basically a golf mk5 chassis with a 2.0tsi engine, front wheel drive and dsg transmission.
    Dsg is far superior than any other transmission, perfectly suitable for racing even though it is heavy but that didn't seem to hinder them much at the 24hr Nrburgring race back in 2008, almost making it into the top 10 out of 200 cars at the start line.

6. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Very true. I agree with you. Its the complexity of the control systems that makes it tough for the home builder. Hence my original question.....are there any standalone dsg control ecu's out there?

7. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

8. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

now I know a bit more about them in believe it's possible. mainly because all the inputs are given by the drivetrain can bus wires, but for the diy'er a mk5/6 auto car ecu/mapped ecu would be the best move

the gt cars are brillant to watch and well the boxes change of gear is so quick - i still prefer the earlier boxes with wet clutch packs.

9. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

So say you had a 2L valver in a mk2 golf. Are you suggesting that this could be controlled with a mk5/6 golf ecu......doubt it very much?

10. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Aye not much use if you have a old vw 16v but you are starting to see more mk5 engines fitted to mk2's
    It only a mater of time before someone fits a dsg gearboxs as well if it's not been done already

I sold the dsg gearbox i had to a guy that had a dsg conversion fitted to his mk4 r32 turbo

So people are doing it with the OEM ecu not cheap if you don't have a donor car
    As you said with the haldex It took a while for someone to come up with a controller

Would be nice to see a stand alone engine ecu that could work with dsg

11. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Yup :thumbup:

12. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Some high end aftermarket controls can run both DI engine and transmission all from one controller.
    Also have CAN protocols to pick up High Speed or Medium speed data from other modules for seemless integration.

13. kiko_zizo88 New Member

i'm working on a standalone TCU for 7 speed 0AM dsg box ,, i love the dual clutch idea and how it feels in driving so i wanted to but that 7 speed box to any engine "abf-1.8T " so i started this project and here where i'm right now ...any comment or questions or thoughts are very welcome..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGh4lrT2Y5c

14. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

Nice set up, the good thing about the OEM setup is the ability to match the RPM of the engine perfectly via road speed over the CAN network - are you going to be able to similar with your setup?

15. kiko_zizo88 New Member

sure i will ,, but i'm in the frist phase now so i wont complicate things i will keep it simple until i can perfectly control the 7 speeds and reverse with only 2 push buttons " up-down " shift..then i have a plan to automaticaly select the gear using the tps-roadspeed-engine load and Rpm signals coming from the ECU..

16. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Really good stuff - keep us posted how you get on - would love to install one of these with stand alone controller in my race car and drive with two feet, clutchless

17. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Oh, I thought you said crutchless Rob! lol

18. KCW

kcw New Member

I know there's not been a post for a while on this thread but have you guys seen that the "16vampir" Golf is now running a dsg 'box. Car's running a 'dsg controller' from Adrenalin tuning. A quick check on their website n a cant see anything bout a dsg controller but my german isn't up to much lol.

Adrenalin Tuning also have their own Golf drag car, in fwd form running a DSG . The car uses a stock dq250 unit with only their dsg controller listed as a mod. Pushing 700ps through this box. I cant post any links as am on my phone but have a quick YouTube.

Always fancied a DSG on a mk3 vr, have now favourited this thread, great info.

Ken

19. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

[video=youtube;dqSRrwLZo-g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqSRrwLZo-g[/video]

20. KCW

kcw New Member

Thanks for that Chris, whats your views on this setup? Are they maybe just taking advantage of the really fast (8ms?) upchanges and not delving deeper and sorting the downchanges too?