Dub styling is dying a death...

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by 1990, May 10, 2004.

1. Madbloke Forum Member

If it wasnt for cars like this being different then the whole of the MK2 area would have looked exactly the same with 15" split BBS's on.

I'm not to keen on the M3's on it but apart from that I thought it looked quiet reasonable

2. Seizure Forum Member

I agree. A lot of same old same old at Inters. I much prefer subtle mods to lairy bodykits, that's why I own a Dub. But there seem to be very little in the way of stylish originality in the scene at the mo. That grey Caddy van was cool though. Refreshing to see something different. As were the retro MkIs from Wolfsburg Edition. I got bored looking at similarly modified MkIIs and bl00dy R32s everywhere. [sarcastic tone] "Wow ANOTHER standard R32. Yay" [/sarcastic tone]

3. Dietrich Forum Member

Any word on the Orciari grill? I only need someone to say, "it costs f*ckloads, look *LINK*", for my hopes and dreams to be shattered... :)

Tom

4. prof Forum Addict

subtle use of influences from aspirational production cars

This is my aim, what Alpina did for BMW in the 80s, better mechanical bits, tidy interior, slight aerodynamic tweaks, all functional modifications.

kind of what williams did for the clio.

So imagine all the brands in the VW group now, now imagine if they all brought out special golfs that reflected the aims of their particular brand

like a bentley golf, or Lambo etc could be fun

5. NicD Forum Member

I remember when RS2 front bumpers were being grafted on to the front of everything and at the time i really rated them, now i think they look pants.

At one stage, even Venom's were the wheel to have [8(] :lol:

Also along with BBS splits, Ronals and Porsche wheels i'd like to add G60 steels - way way way over done again.

If your looking for new styling tips then the only things i can think of are:

1. Chrome mirror caps ala S series Audi's
    2. Certain flip paints such as the Alfa white/blue - never been to my taste and i still wouldnt BUT when the whole run way looks same as same as then you need change.
    3. The stretched tyre look in my opinion is toss
    4. Naked carbon fibre bonnets look good on some cars
    5. Seen a Seat Leon Cupra with a louvred bonnet - it can look good on some cars if put there for a proper reason, not just for show.

More worringly ;) what really stood out were the Polo's - is it their time now? Wicked one with Porsche wheels (i'll forgive it) dark grey audi paint, no rear seats, expensive looking sound install, front buckets and complete camel coloured retrim including dash. Loved that car.

Personally i made the decision that it was time to step away from the scene, put my 2 Golf's in storage and come back to them in a year or so's time with hopefully some fresh ideas as when i hear myself talk with friends i can hear myself speaking the same cliched poo again and again (BBS RS yada yada coilovers yada yada smoked crystals etc).

Because face it, to an extent we have to take the blame ourselves as we're the ones who are restricting the scene and drumming into younger dubbers that a Golf's got to look a certain way etc.

Its time to let the younger generation take over if you want change and new ideas, it may not be for the best but while we collectively continue to berate different Golf's then it all ways be more of the same.

Just my thoughts,

Nic

6. Guests Banned

well said :clap:

7. Guests Banned

Sooo, anyone got a big wad of cash so i can go do something different???

8. Guests Banned

yeah im a little gutted that i just forked out a bag of sand on 'done mods'

[:D]

9. Guests Banned

I cant even afford the already done to death mods!!! [8(] [8(]

10. NicD Forum Member

Hehe i almost did the same Recardo, glad i didnt now, had an electric recaro interior, coilovers, ronal turbos all lined up and ready to put on when it dawned on me i was simply copying a trend. Doesnt really matter for the amount of money you throw at a car if you havent got a vision you end up copying other cars.

11. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I've just had a vision!!!!!

12. Guests Banned

Well i got my azev A'son the way. i know been done alot before, but they suit the golf. I had been looking, hard for me to find some alloys that did!!

Some far out mad colour wont go far wrong either [:D] [:D]

13. Dietrich Forum Member

I've got a vision... I may not get there with you, but err... Freedom? Nah, wrong speech.

Got mine planned in my head. The real c*nt for me is only being 18 and struggling to afford it all. [:D]

Still - slow progress is better than no progress (1500 insurance is gonna' ruuule).

14. DarrenW Forum Junkie

Go on then, tell us!

15. Guests Banned

Sorry i couldnt do any better than that for you matey! To be honest, been busy and only quote i managed to do. If i get time ill get some more quotes for you, might bebale to get it down some more!

16. ELLISDEE New Member

i've had a that will be! down alabma way where little golf boys & golf girls will do styling different to one another......i had a dream :lol:

17. Dave-in-Herts Forum Member

Although I quite like the look of gtis/g60's etc with bbs's and factory colour resprays I'm more a fan of some of the more in your face stuff, like wide arches and lairy colour schemes. You just had to look at the thousands of cars parked at Inters to see the general trend in dub ownership, primarily, the mk2 is king! with them outnumbering other vw's by about 4-1, and so is subtle styling, didn't see much original styling, I might be different as when the respray comes am either going to get it sprayed a darker black (yawn) or that marble effect blue I saw on a car at Xtreme Christmas Bash last year, don't know yet :)

18. Mk2GolfBoy Forum Member

damn right you horrible lot trying to drum it into my nearly 18 year old mind. Stifling my creativity on my MK2 lol!

19. Dietrich Forum Member

Nah you're alright mate, I'll get the 'rents to do a good call around when the thing's sitting on the drive. Sitting there staring out the window with a frown should do the trick. :)

Tom

20. JCS16V Forum Member

Good point, and it's been the same for years. Even now the mk3 has dropped in price, the mk2 still reigns supreme 12 years after production stopped.
    That's an icon for ya though :)