ebay HID kits for mk2 - what do i need ?

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by dUff, Oct 1, 2007.

1. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

Hi
    My mk2 is gonna become a daily hack for a while so fancy a HID kit as driving in the wet last night was not great visibility and i already have 100w bulbs on a uprated loom.

I guess all i need is a kit that works for H4 bulbs

- what wattage should i go for ?
    - Should i get a bosh kit ?

I have seen kits from 59 to 250 on ebay and in shops, whats the differences

Any help would be great , complete newbie when it comes to HID`s having never had any

Cheers

2. Tomo IOW Forum Member

yeah im little un-clear of these,i was just gonna buy the kit and fit it,havnt got up-rated loom or anything,H7 i was looking at

3. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Few days ago i fitted my kit i purchased in worthersee this year

It is AWESOME!

Make sure you know what you are getting as most are low beam only and if you are running single lamps on your golf it wont be good for you as you will not have high beam

My kit is low and high beam, uses trick lamps that have electric motors built into them and they spin instantly

Very cool and very efective

In fact it will be easier on your alternator as it draws less current than standard lamps due to use of high voltage transformers, which brings me to my next point

Dont buy cheap kits whith cheap wiring loom and cheap connectors as it could be potentially dangerous,high voltage/sparks/petrol do not mix!

My kit is really high quallity, every single connector is water/oil/petrol proof!

Only 3 wires to connect and away you go:)

4. Steve B Forum Junkie

just so your clear, these kits are illegal if they fit into your standard headlights, and also have to have high pressure washers and auto head light levelers to be legal.

you will probably end up dazzling a load of people if you just stik them in your own headlights

5. Drew21 Forum Member

...and his 100w bulbs won't already be blinding everyone!!! I hope I don't meet him on a dark road:lol:

anyway, I fitted HIDs to my BM and yes they make a difference but they are also illegal and you should be aware of that. That said my MOT man happily passed them (I offered to swap back to standard H1s for the MOT) saying that allignment was all he cared about and allignment was fine.

nb, the main reason why you need to change the whole light to be legal is that on a modern car the beam cut-off is much more precise and sudden, on a non-HID car the edge of the beam is more diffuse and so the dipped beam may stray over the edge and into the eyes of oncoming traffic. With that in mind I dipped my dipped deam down and left a fair bit more than was strictly necessary (using the pattern on a wall at 20 feet) and all seems well. Well no-one has flashed me since I adjusted the beams (I was flashed a couple of times before I lowered the pattern a bit)

6. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Thats exactly what i'v done and had no problems yet with anyone flashing even on dark country lanes

7. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

Cheers for the info , yeah my 100W are only a bit lairy in full beam and they are those blue blubs so are not as bright as normall 100w i guess .

Anyone know what VAG HID kits are in kelvin , i am thinking of getting 6000K , what temp range did you get sambo

Cheers

8. Blue MK2 Forum Member

say if I had electric headlamp adjusters on my mk2? would they be legal then?;)

ive seen newer cars without headlamp washers and HIDs[:s]

9. pigbladder Forum Addict

how far back do these dip/main bulbs stick out?? any clearance probs on a 16v airbox?

10. Pete Taylor Forum Member

They don't stick out at all, just a couple of wires coming out of the back of the headlight rear cover that's all. I fitted the 6000k kit to mine as they are 'the norm' on road cars with them as standard. the 8000k and 10000k bulbs are more blue getting towards purple on the 12000k bulbs which are definately not legal. I bought a single beam kit for my mk3 but then changed the headlights which used different bulbs. I went for a Boshe kit for the new headlights and the quality was no different to the previous kit to be honest. Stupidly easy to fit and look awesome. Although my new headlights have seperate bulbs for the main beam I didn't change them as i've not even had to use them since fitting this kit

11. Tomo IOW Forum Member

sambo, so what was the kit u got then? make and model? also what would u recomend as in h1-2-3 ect , mines single head lights ,so in a nut shell,fit these kits and adjust the beam down a bit to avoid getting flashed?

12. Aquablue Forum Member

If you want them to fit the headlights of your mark 2 golf, then they are H4's. Don't know if people are aware, but these Bosch ones are nothing to do with Bosch of germany. Think it's a clever con by the Chinese company to sell more!

It seems to be really hard to know what you are getting quality-wise with some of these kits as you can't just go by the price-ie: the more expensive the better as a company could buy them cheap and whack their bit on the top to make more. Also most of them say they are better than others, so how do you know? Obviously better buying from a UK company as if you have any problems, it will be a lot easier to sort out!

13. richellis Forum Member

I wanna kit for my mk3. any one done this on a mk3?

14. Steve B Forum Junkie

obviosuly not, you also have to have the crystal projector, and if your headlamps do have the crystal projector, but they are for halogen bulbs, then they are still illegal, they are also totally ilegal on headlamps that have a textured lense (i.e. all headlamps for halogen bulbs except those with the projector) the texture in the glass is desighned to spread the beam pattern of the halogen bulbs, which will just dazzle everyone if you use hids in them.

in theory if the headlight was precice enough, you could use a crystal clear headlamp like those crosshair ones with a hid bulb provided you had auto leveling headlamps and washer jets but its unlikely they would cast the beam in the way they should with the cut off, liekley to still blind everyone lol

manual headlamp levelers on the dash apparently are not legal either.

all oem cars as far as i know are required by law if running hids to have headlamp washers, most cars these days have those pop out washers that are quite cool, i suppose its possible when they first came out some cars wernt equipt with washers, bt they all have to be now.

so they only way to lealy convert your car to hid would to be either to buy new headlamps that are hid which wold no doubt come with a leveler kit and washer kit.

or as is done in the rally headlamps remove the halogen projector and replace with a hid projector and fit auto leverlsand washerjets.

the reason this works is because rally headlamps as standard have the halogen projector which casts through the glass which is clear and untextured allowing the hid beam to pass through without spreading it around. so as long as you remove the halogen projector and fit a hid projector you can put them together legaly... technically anyway

15. prof Forum Addict

so with clear lenses you are ok?

16. Admin Guest

And where is this 'law'?

The current washers/self levelers applies only to vehicles fitted with HID's as standard.
    Retro fit HID's do NOT have to adhere to this.

There was a post on here some time ago where someone dug up the actual regs to prove it.

Mine passed the MOT with HID's for wo years running also, so personal experience is positive too.

17. Steve B Forum Junkie

if this is the case i stand corrected, but even if that is the case id still find it hard to believe that hids are legal to just stick in haloen headlamps might not need he levelers and washers but im sureyou would need the projector and / or not have halogen textured glass

18. Admin Guest

Good point well made.

I have dedicated HID type lamp units.

19. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

Well after a hunt about i opted for some from china from diane-shop , they are BI-XENON HID CONVERSION KIT H4 6000K HI LO DUAL BEAMS

They are 35w which is far lower than 100w bulbs i was using

took 2 weeks to arrive and total cost was 68 pounds

Fitted them today and the wiring quality is good and was impressed

Lights now are amazing ! in the mk2 , will see if i get flashed next week for using them tho ,

Will test them long term and if they are cool will fit some to my rallye next i reckon

[​IMG]

20. altern8 Forum Junkie

look good how hard was it to fit, any pics of the beam?