ebay HID kits for mk2 - what do i need ?

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by dUff, Oct 1, 2007.

1. dave18 Forum Member

Faire enought but i havnt heard of people having their vehicles impounded on the spot for speeding where as running a vehicle which is not road legal does ;)

2. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

3. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

Interesting to see they claim them to be 100% road legal.

4. StuMc

Yeah, I`m taking that with a pinch of salt. But if I do get stopped, I`ll plead ignorance and say I was told they were legit! ;)

5. dave18 Forum Member

Legal in which country thou [:s] [:s] [:s] [:s] [:s]

Ignorance doesnt work it just shows narrow mindness especialy if the rest of the car looks good ;)

6. StuMc

He`s based here in Manchester, so I assume he reckons they`re legal here.

It strikes me as odd that they are illegal, because if you set them up right, not to dazzle other road users, they provide much better/further sighting in the dark than standard lights, which frankly I hate, especially if it`s raining. I just don`t feel safe/visible enough to other road users. And since I want to keep my car looking good, then I`m afraid the (ridiculous) law can go hang.

I can see where the government/road safety groups are coming from, because so many people are just sticking them in and not setting them up, which is clearly dangerous.

I have crystal lenses on my lights, so I hope I shouldn`t suffer from the diffusion problems evident with standard patterned lenses.

I can`t see the sense in automatic levelling systems. As someone mentioned above, how often do see a car in the distance, who appears to flashing, but is just going over a bump. Obviously the factory fitted levelling systems can`t react in time so, to my mind, are ultimately pointless.

I believe headlight washers/wipers are required since dirt can also cause diffusion problems. But, personally, I keep my lights clean regularly (even if I`m not washing the whole car), as I believe everyone should.

I think the whole issue is really about common sense. If you fit the system to your car, then you should consider other road users and set it up correctly. Perhaps this is the route the government should go; making sure they are fitted/operated correctly. In fact they should outlaw old, uesless lighting and make upgrades mandatory.

As I say, I just want to see/be seen better in the dark, so I`m giving these a try. If they turn out to be rubbish or cause too much glare to others, then obviously I`ll revert back to the standard setup. I`ll keep you all posted as to how I get on. :thumbup:

7. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

I've also just contacted this guy. There seems to be a couple of decent kits about by reputable sellers, but there is also a lot of cheap chinese rubbish out there too. The bosch kits arent' anything to do with bosch apparently.

I'm just trying to find out what H4-3 or H4-4 means?? I just thought it was plain old H4???

I plan to buy some of these from one seller or another tonight and fit them at the weekend so if anyone wants to see the actuall kit I'll post it all up in here.

8. dave18 Forum Member

thats a real good point about having to update your lights bud. ;) ;)

9. mac7

mac7 New Member

As I understand it, H4-3 bi-xenon bulbs have a single arc light source which moves in and out either on a solenoid or a stepper motor to switch from dipped to main beam. Each bulb requires one ballast.

H4-4 bulbs have two separate light sources in the same bulb - one for dip and one for main. The H4-4 therefore needs two ballasts per bulb and is more expensive.

I don't think these designations are recognised outside of the aftermarket HID industry.

10. StuMc

I wasn`t sure either, so I just winged it! :lol: I thought it might apply to the locating tabs on the back of the lamps.

Anyhoo, it all arrived this morning. (Bought it at 3pm. Arrived at 9am!)

I`ll fit later and show how it`s done!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

A direct quote from the ebay ad

12. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

StuMC , they look exactly the same as my chinese ones 68 inc p&p.. The plugs are the same , bulbs a a different shape the same connectors balasts , my brackets are differnet tho , interesting

[​IMG]

13. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

100% correct. I went for the H4-3 setup in 4300K. hopefully it'll come saturday.

14. G-Man Forum Junkie

Can these lights invalidate your insurance as they're technically a non-road legal modification?

15. dave18 Forum Member

YES any non road legal mod on a vehicle driving on the road will void your insurance, as for saying they are e marked and road legal in the uk i belive they might be IF fitted to vehicles modded to accept them as in self levelars and washers.

16. StuMc

All ballast unit casings and wiring plugs are the same, no matter what kit you have. They`re a generic component. The lamps will invariably be the same to, with only the solenoid units differing.
    The trains I work on have Xenon headlamps and the ballast units and plugs for them are the same and are made by Philips. (Pity they run at 220v or I could have swiped some for nowt!)

I`ve now fitted my kit and it`s an incredible improvement over what I had before.

The beam pattern is fine, with only a small amount of diffusion, but, it doesn`t appear to be a problem for other road users.

See my How to... thread for the full lowdown. :thumbup:

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150526

17. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

hmmm, got my kit today, and I can't say I'm impressed. So much for the seller speil about avoiding cheap chinese made kids off ebay.....it appears i've paid extra off a UK seller for the same stuff the chinks are selling at half the price....

the manual appears to have been written by a retarded child..such is the quality of the translating.

I don't know whether to fit them or complain and ask for my money back.

18. altern8 Forum Junkie

Are they really that bad

show us a pic and then ask for your money back

19. StuMc

Do you go for the same kit as me?

I agree the instructions translation left a lot to be desired, but were still usable.

The quality of the kit was spot on IMO. About on par with German kits I`ve seen at more than twice the price.

The only `issue` I have is the fact that I`ll have to cut and splice the wiring to mount the ballasts and controller in better positions, but as is not a model specific kit, that was to be expected.

20. altern8 Forum Junkie