ebay HID kits for mk2 - what do i need ?

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by dUff, Oct 1, 2007.

1. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Differant to mine.

As mentioned above somewhere, Bosch don`t make HID kits. Those kits are low quality Chinese units exploiting some kind of loophole to use the name.

2. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

Well, I'll eat my words.

I didn't have to cut any wiring, I mounted the drivers side ballast flat on the chassis leg using one of the carbon canister holder bolts, used the other bolt for the Earth point.

On the passenger side i slid the batter into the engine bay a tad so i could tuck the other ballst down out of the way between the battery and inner wing, with the bracket bent to pick up on the existing tab welded to the inner wing. Earthed that side direct to the battery. Glued the dim dip contoller to the front of the battery, power direct off the positive terminal, and tied the fuses up to the fan controller bracket, easy to get at and they won't get wet there.

I didn't have to drill a huge hole in the back of the light clutster, just big enough to get the connectors through, the light untt itself fits inside the corrado headlamp. I tucked the old connector on the drivers side side the lamp.

On the drivers side I had to drill a bigger hole to get the H4 connector through to plug the harmess into, as corrado's have different plugs on them. BUT, because I have the original plugs still plugged in so the sidelights work, the main beam now comes on with just sidelights selected, so I'll have to investigate why that's happening.

Well, they are little bluer than expected, I wanted the 4300K kit but he had none in stock so i went for a 6000K instead.

They are absolutely effing brilliant!! bright as hell, almost as good as the factory fitted kit the Mk4 had. Head on you can't look at them, they are just too bright. But I've tried moving about and stood where and oncoming driver would be and they don't glare bad at all.

Seriously impressed.

Don't know if it's related to the sidelight issue but the nearside tail has gone out now too.

3. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

4. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

before

[​IMG]

after
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. mac7

mac7 New Member

Phat, I'm just trying to clear something up in my head before I order one of these kits.

Would I be right in saying that the ballasts take power direct from the battery via a fuse each, and the single connection to one existing headlamp connector is just to provide a trigger for the hi/lo beam control module?

Cheers

6. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

Yes, they each have a fused power and seperate earth. The seperate box is the controller for the solenoids, and this takes it's feed off the original loom to decide which position to put the light in.

7. MrDubmeister Forum Member

Northampton in a village in the middle of nowhere
    PhatVr6: Thats the kit im looking to buy just wondering how you rate it quality wise and was everything included?

cheers

J

8. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

I was a little dissapointed with the look of the kit, the connectors looked a bit cheap and flimsy, there was nowhere near enough cable ties, and of course you need a drill to cut your healdlamp backing covers and some rudimentary tools. but the loom was all put together and crimped, covered in conduit etc etc

and you can't argue about the output, they do work pretty well indeed.

9. copper Forum Member

phatty the side light thing may have something to do with the resistor on the N/s. (same size as a packet of polo's wired into the headlamp loom) Im sure if you disconnect that, then it should be back to normal....well thats the theory behind uprated headlight looms anyway. They do the same thing once fitted, main beam works on side lights!

10. altern8 Forum Junkie

is that the same one you bought stu?

11. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

12. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

Had some guy in a BM flashing his foglight at me, must have been blinding him.he kept doing it, so i had to give him a dose of full beam....he pulled over and let me past!

13. mac7

mac7 New Member

If they get BMW's out of the way, I'm definitely having some!

14. Drew21 Forum Member

might want to get your alignment checked?

just an idea :lol:

15. mk2_pete Forum Member

well my xenons arrived today they were 68 quid from china like but i cant fault them the look really well made and are pretty bright there a great improvement at least i can see now i bought a 6000k h4 bi-xenon kit wel worth the money came in a well made box to most unlike chinese crap

16. Tomo IOW Forum Member

probely the ones i bought , but they broke down after a week. One side of the high beam was stuck in the "high beam " postion so it was blinding the on coming traffic. sent them back but got a massive postage bill of 25 ! great, they didnt refund it even tho it was defective item they sent but if they sent another and that went wrong then thats bout 50 total which = to a new unit !! just on returns postage ! mmm

17. dan0964 Forum Member

Just thoght id say, i ordered these

HID

(tho the ones i actualy received are a little different)
    build quality is really good and solid

i fitted them about an hour ago, and am just waiting for it to go dark so i can go check them out !

the fitting was very simple, took about an hour in all, goes from hi to lo nicely and im please so far, i shall report back in about another hour after ive tested them in the dark

Cheers

18. dan0964 Forum Member

Ok, so just went off for a drive round some dark, winding country roads, and all i can say is
    WOW

they really are amazing, passed a few people, no one flashed me, dipped is about 100 X better than my old high and on high, its like daylight !

ill take some pictures tomorro or maybe later tonight if i can find my camera.

i cant recomend these enough, for 70 quid you'd be stupid not to !

Cheers

19. Tomo IOW Forum Member

yep those are the ones! wicked i loved em,really bright and looks cool until they broke and got stumped with a massive fee back to hong kong, which i still havnt got my refund for,paypal claim under way now :lol:

20. dan0964 Forum Member

Good luck with the paypal claim, hope it all gets sorted