EGT’s how hot is too hot?

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by badger5, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Guests Banned

I am running MBE....VERY VERY good!!! i am in rebuild at the moment 2lt and hybrid turbo....should be a laugh ;)

2. Chris M Forum Member

That should be interesting :). I was asking for a couple of reasons really.

Themotronic hasthe wideband O2sensor onmy engine and my matewon't run 920 before the turbine asthe stockwideband O2 sensor gets damaged over 850. Anyone else using stock management???

Cheers,

Chris

3. Lee-GTi Forum Member

MOTEC!!!! all the way [:D]

4. Guests Banned

5. A_N_Other Forum Member

That sounds about right! Oil isn't a great octane booster!
    Makes sense to improve what's going on. Good to know it works too.
    I guess the octane booster makes more of a difference than you think? At high speed on the 'ring the FMIC may be doing a better job of keeping charge temps down than around Coombe? Like you say it could be fuel pressure, although the Mk2 swirl pot should be pretty good at keeping that surge under control.
    Just a thought, but the fuel pressure reg is referenced to manifold pressure, no leak in the pipe or hasn't blown off? Or did you run out of water for the WI system?
    Also if AFR went anywhere near stoich then I'd guess everything would melt at WOT - narrow band wouldn't tell you much.
    Cherry red after you've coasted into the pits and got out and pulled the bonnet? That's pretty damn hot! I'd reckon on a dull glow at about 850 and 970 brght red!
    If you're running EGT probes post turbo, I'd take it for a few runs on a cool day and note the display full bore, and watch out for anything over that. Not very scientific, but something to watch out for.

I guess knock is the root of your problems though - at least retard due to knock? Either over active knock control, or too aggressive air temp retard - do you know if there is any retard for coolant temp too? Could be lots of things though! sometimes even a typo in the MAP or the end of a correction table not being far enough can cause problems if you go outside of "normal" operating limits.

Sometimes it can be better to reduce boost at high temps rather than retard ignition - if the engine is running flat out stinking hot it won't make best power anyway so retarding the ignition and forcing more charge into it will just make things worse in ever decreasing circles....

How much benefit do you get form the water injection though - do you know what charge temps are like with and without? I've never had to run one so it'd be good to know.

6. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

Its not been too bad.. (touches wood)
    54K on my engine now and 34K of it is IHI

7. badger5

ME7 Bosch (s3 Std)

8. badger5

I did'nt think octane booster would make any difference, but was the only thing I 'forgot' to bung in and the only thing different to the many other track days done this year. Maybe coincidence maybe too much advance etc as you say when its really hot and working hard. Was towards the end of a 10mins session so not a dyno run type duration which would miss that. 4bar FPR which does run on mani pressure, but the pipes are intact.

WI does make a difference on mine to the point of keeping very consistent on torque request and boost level. Without it on, the boost will creap up to meet torque request by ~3psi. WI was running fine on the day it melted @ Combe. Water was being used out of the bottle at normal rate.

I will suk it and see on the EGT's and keep a beady eye on the A/F Zeitronix meter too.

Off track its a dull red glow, not yellow. Yellow is dyno load which I have seen a number of times! (Interpro!!!! Arghhh)

9. dan-ish

dan-ish Forum Member

Why pay all that money for something standard management does when mapped correctly. Hence my IHI syncro 380bhp no engine problems and starts and drives perect.

10. Lee-GTi Forum Member

Because i can :lol:

plus i can adjust all the settings myself! if i need too! without havin all that rev'o stuff and the motec is easy to install and it'll run launch control onto a Mk2 couldn't be bottomd with all the clocks and key cr*p! [:D]

11. Chris M Forum Member

Yeah, i agree with that. Retain all the enginefailsafe's tooand get it mapped properly. Motronic can do more thanenough power than you could possiblyneed ;) You shouldn't need to adjust anything anyway if its been remapped, unless it wasn't done properly?????

For the sake of afew hours extrawiring iput the clocks in. Didn't bother with the Mk4 keys etc, got enough immobilisers on it already.

Cheers,

Chris
    Edited by: Chris M

12. dan-ish

dan-ish Forum Member

You don't need to wire the clocks and imobilizer anymore. Jabba,revo and custom code all do decode chips to remove imobilization on me7 me7.5 and mine motronic 3.8.3.I can wire them up in 2 hours ;)

13. nutter4x4 Paid Member Paid Member

yeh but you have to go back to those company`s each time you want to add more power to your car, another 400 session, your tied too that company for everything when comes to mapping, where as standalone your not, alot of satndalone are as good as OEM ecu`s i should know i `ve used both, with the standalone i use it tell me just about everything i need to know about wots going on about underneath the bonnet without the extra costs
    Edited by: nutter4x4

14. Lee-GTi Forum Member

:clap: exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    thats why i went for the Motec system it one of the best standalone management systems you can get! and being good friend of keith murrays it only costs about 50-100 to do a full remap! and the oem will not run launch control, oh with the oem ecu can you control the amount of boost you have at a certain time, so in wet conditions you can have the boost coming in nice and slow so you get maximum traction!!! [:D]

15. badger5

mine runs boost controller with Bosch ecu... no problemo.
    Happy ruuning with sensors to keep it all running, failsafes etc. Me7.5 has more and wideband and EGT too which is nice.

All down to what you're happy with.

Gone are the days where you HAD to change ecu if you did'nt have clocks/keys etc as Dan said.

Horses for courses :)

16. Rallye Forum Junkie

out of interest, what charge temps are you seeing post the intercooler?

17. badger5

with my oversized FMIC :lol: I get high 30's when tanking it on 1.4bar boost. consistent with the aquamist on on 20mins sessions on track.

18. Chris M Forum Member

What extra costs??? The standalone cost lots to buy in the first place.Which standalone system is as good as OEM?? Mapping might be cheaper but how often do you need your car mapping??? Only after big upgrades, turbo's, injectors etc etc.

Still each to their own.

Chris

19. Guests Banned

i am seeing 15 - 17oC with mine.....the forge intercooler is brill....and my MBE ecu and run everything a standard ecu cannot launch control, 4wd diff etc....plus as nutter said it costs alot less after install....

20. dan-ish

dan-ish Forum Member

Nutter does your engine management run your haldex?