EGT’s how hot is too hot?

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by badger5, Jul 26, 2005.

1. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

Just physically test it with a temp sensor.. all will be revealed.
    [:D]

2. badger5

sensor error between them or other effects (like thermal heat conduction and fans blowing off rads etc)

heat exchange is just that... exchange.. higher to lower.. unless some other media is involved which has an elemnt of evaporation to it, so different Specific Heat Capacity with different Latent Heat etc. (water injection, methanol mix, Cryo spray etc)
    Edited by: badger-bill

3. badger5

Now I have had subambient temps on my previous CC system. but I did cheat and fill the recirc bottle with ice.. :lol:

4. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

still not 100% efficient, just transferring to a colder medium :p

5. Guests Banned

well the readings from two completely different cars cannot lie....

6. Andy947 Forum Addict

Well its quite clear that infact they can :)

7. Guests Banned

cause you know because you have a turbo car???? and the setups we have?

8. Andy947 Forum Addict

Whatever, you are clearly not prepared to accept that something is wrong with your readings :clap:

9. Guests Banned

i will accept something first hand not explained by some tw@t with a head wider than his Track.....

10. Andy947 Forum Addict

11. Guests Banned

thermal heat conduction

12. badger5

eh up

leave me out of this:lol: ;)

LOL [:D]
    :lol:

On a side note.. I remember seeign JBS's Octavia at a Seat RR day @ Stealth running NOS. 1st time I ever saw this in action..

Car had just got their and was very hot.. 50'C temps from hot inlet manifold. Ran K03s turbo and revo code back then, with progressive NOS. I watched the logged temps during the run and was gob smacked at the temp change in such a rapid time.

50'C to -8'C in an instant when NOS came in (progressively). At the end of the run the temps climbed to 0'C. The thermal shock to components must be high, but boy did that stuff cool as well as produce more power. I can see the attraction.

13. badger5

other effects like fans, radiators, hot cylinder head conducting to inlet mani..

I know these effect mine, and minimising things like heat conduction from the head to inlet mani where my AIT lives helps give real intake readings. outside of pipe is warmer where it passes by radiator fans, but temps of incoming air are a lot less inside the pipe.

the key bit I think is "heat exchange" where to exchange there has to be a difference between em. (unless we're talking something which has different specific heat capacity than air. like water/methanol etc. )

14. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

easy, no need [xx(]

Why is it so hard to accept that your sensors may not be reading 100% accurately, but you're willing to disbelieve one of the most basic laws of physics? I've seen inlet temp readings of close to 80deg C on my car (normally aspirated), do I think that means the inlet temps were actually that high? Do I bollocks. It's far more reasonable to accept that the sensor was being heated by radiant heat from the exhaust manifold rather than reporting the actual temp of the air flowing past it.

15. Andy947 Forum Addict

16. Rallye Forum Junkie

17. Guests Banned

but you have shown a static setup without the addition of mass of the air plus volume travelling over the objects and also moisture in the air conducting heat more efficiently.
    Edited by: Slapbladder

18. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

*head....wall*

How much detail do you need it explained in? The factors you keep dragging up change only the rate at which the two media (in this case intake charge and ambient air) will converge to the same temperature.

rate of heat transfer = (k * A * (Thot - Tcold)) /d

k is the thermal conductivity of the system being measured
    A is the surface area over which the process takes place
    d is the thickness of the material between the two temps, Thot and Tcold.

Moisture in the air will change the value of k, altering the rate of heat transfer.
    Moving air will effectively reduce the thickness d, as in a static situation a boundary layer of warm air would form around the intercooler, increaing the distance from the intercooler surface to ambient temp air. This layer is constantly stripped away in a high flow of air. The result is that a moving flow also increases the rate of heat transfer.

None of which alters that fact that when Thot = Tcold the rate of heat transfer has reached zero. End of story.

19. Guests Banned

listen you patronising prick i will bang your head on a wall in a minute.....there are more factors to the diagram you showed than you have accounted for.....

20. Andy947 Forum Addict