EGT’s how hot is too hot?

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by badger5, Jul 26, 2005.

1. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

you see subambient temps? eh?
    how come?

2. Guests Banned

because the intercooler is so efficient....this is the throttle body air temp....

3. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

The intercooler can't cool the intake charge to below the ambient temp of the air flowing around it, that defies the laws of physics. Only way to do that would be to have a yet colder medium transferring heat away, i.e. water or nitrous spray for example.

4. Rallye Forum Junkie

heheh yea, just wondered, sounds healthy anyway :clap:

5. Guests Banned

the speed of ambient air will be colder the faster it goes over an intercooler etc....

6. Guests Banned

ever heard of windchill?.......

7. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

Wind chill is a perceptual phenomenon, not a physical one.

It is true that an object will cool down faster in a moving flow than when stationary, but they will still both eventually settle to the same ambient temp, no cooler.

8. Andy947 Forum Addict

:thumbup:

9. Guests Banned

so when i place my hand on the throttle body side of the intercooler pipe it is very cold....feels like a can of beer from the fridge and the turbo side is hot....can barely hold it.....and my hand in still ambient air is ALOT different from the inlet pipe???? you are telling me that the inlet temp is the same as ambient?? naaaaa

10. Andy947 Forum Addict

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Its cos the metal conducts heat away from your body better than air, so it feels colder/

Try a wee test, plastic ruler and a steel ruler, both sitting on a desk, both been there for a long time so both reached a stable temp, pick them up, which 'feels' colder, and which is actually colder ;)

11. Guests Banned

plus add 60mph wind say and the moisture in the air....my inlet pipe normally ends up with droplets on the outside of it.....
    Edited by: Slapbladder

12. Andy947 Forum Addict

Irrelevant, heat transfer is driven by the temperature difference, if you go lower than the ambient air temp you will be breaking the laws of heat transfer becasue you can only transfer heat from a hotter source to a colder sink.

Think about it...

13. Guests Banned

well i must have a law breaking intercooler and setup then....you try in a really well setup car and see for yourself.... I have witnessed this on two of Designadubs cars.....and both ECU's and lnlet sensors cannot lie...24oC ambient and 18oC lnlet for mine (daytime) and 18oC ambient and 12oC inlet for the other (at night)

14. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

You can set it up as well as you like, it still won't get any colder than the temp of the material carrying away the heat. How it 'feels' to you and the actual temp are not one and the same.

If you really are transferring heat from cold to hot you should be shouting about it a bit louder, you have the underpinnings of a perpetual motion machine there.

'Ye cannae break the laws of physics captain' :lol:
    Edited by: martyn_16v

15. Guests Banned

do not agree....you are talking about still ambient air with no moisture....when you add the other factors...air speed/windchill, moisture and it changes things alot...

16. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

No, it doesn't.

Get windchill out of your head for starters, as I said above it's purely a conceptual thing, you percieve it as being colder because the rate of heat loss from your body is faster than if you were in stationary air. If the air is say 18 deg, it may feel like it's only 8 if there is considerable wind, but leave anything out there for long enough and it'll only ever cool down to 18, wind or not.

Moisture again may change the rate of heat transfer as it will alter the thermal conductivity of the air in which it is suspended, but at the end of the day it can't change the fact that the rate of transfer is dependent on the difference between the hot and cold temperatures, as your intake charge approaches ambient temp the heat is transferred away more and more slowly. At the point where the intake charge reaches ambient temp (if ever) the rate of heat transfer reaches zero - it stops. It is totally impossible for it to drop any further.

17. Andy947 Forum Addict

:lol:

Give up Martyn, he's arguin against physics fact here, losing battle :)

18. Rallye Forum Junkie

u can get intercoolers with over 100% efficiency, although they tend to be on
    powerboats and being dragged through the water at high speed:)

19. badger5

there has to be a reference temp tho yea? ambient (the cooling air) unless there is cryo spray or something aswell.

Mine was 22'C ambient full load power run and 38'C logged AIT maximum. Fast recovery tho. Inlet manifold after 20min track bashing, nurburgring etc physically cold to touch so maybe better temps now I run larger WI nozzle and 10% Meth mix in water.

Sounds like yours works well tho. :clap:

20. badger5

the temp will be the same.
    core can heat exchange at a certain rate and the temp difference will be key in what temps/airflow across thew core etc...
    Go too fast tho and you will need some of the Shuttles ceramic tiles as fast is hot then ;) :lol: