Exhaust system for mk1 caddy 1.8l 16v

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by _E_, Jun 14, 2022.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

to check everything is ok car side, jump the tab on the stalk to the column with a bit o wire, and horn should sound. if not, check the steering rack is earthed its a little wire on the driver side near column to chassis

if that does work then you know thats all good, something not right with the switch. all it needs to do is bridge the contact ring on stalk to earth its pretty simples. if the horn button has 2 contacts one needs to go to the wire off the slip ring in the horn boss, the other needs bare metal contact to the main boss housing, usually you just run a wire with ring terminal pushed between wheel and boss where one of the bolts goes in if that makes sense

2. _E_

_E_ Forum Member

Cheers mate, found a bad earth to the steering colum.

Since I've put my clocks back in from fixing the odo the oil light constantly flashes. Is this a bad ground?

3. rubjonny

check the wires to your oil switches, pull them both off and the light shouldn't come on with ignition. earth each if them in turn and one of them should put the oil light on.

if these checks come back ok which ever makes the light come on needs to go to the low pressure switch 0.3bar and the other to the 1.8bar :)

4. _E_

_E_ Forum Member

Cheers.

Also the coolant light won't go out even after I've taken relay 42 out?

5. rubjonny

with relay pulled disconnect dash temp sensor, if light stops then its bad sensor

6. _E_

_E_ Forum Member

Thanks mate.

I'm really struggling to get the sump to seal properly keeps leaking oil. Have you any advice on the sump (where to purchase from) and the gasket I've tried the rubber and the paper one.

7. rubjonny

Sounds like sump is warped yeah, should be ok with a febi one. I haven't been sump shopping for years so not sure wheres good these days lol best ask on main forum someone will advise I hope

8. _E_

_E_ Forum Member

OK thanks mate, tried the test on oil pressure light and coolant they both just flash constant with sensors unplugged and earthed. Any ideas?

9. rubjonny

if coolant flashes with no 43 relay and coolant temp unplugged then its either a cluster/gauge fault or maybe you've lost your main earth. the brown wire on the cluster is the earth, you can poke an earthed wire into the back of the plug to test if its that. check the blue foil for tears as well

for oil light if you disconnect both oi switch wires the light should stay off ignition on and idle, then flash+buzz when you rev it

10. _E_

_E_ Forum Member

I swapped the connectors to the oil switchs and it did buzz when rev . The light just stays on constantly could that be a earth issue aswell?

11. rubjonny

it could be yeah, as I say try with them all disconnected 43 relay, coolant and oil sensors then you should have no warning lights at all except battery

12. rubjonny

ah you should have a short flash from coolant light though as a self test but then it should stay out. does sound like cluster though if it everythign else on cluster works ok apart from that anyway

13. _E_

_E_ Forum Member

Ye did try all that still the same flashing