Forget your VRs,your 20 vTs etc

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by GVK, Nov 17, 2003.

1. markovts New Member

i don't have a clue what to get, if i had unlimited money i would get a skyline (was going to get one before i got the saxo charged.......and before i found out the servicing costs lol) or an evo5/6.

i don't have unlimited money so i'll need to hunt around for a quick car for not a lot of money.

2. markovts New Member

well the vts is a group 14 as standard anyway, i don't think the grouping changes, just the insurance goes up for the performance modifications.

there's a few audi dealer in glasgow so i might pop in next week before i go on holiday...... they might just tell me to beat it though lol

3. S1MMA Forum Member

hmm, I know what u mean. The thing with skylines/Evo's and all the rest of them is the insurance is a f*cker. Even if you could get one for 8-10 grand, you wouldnt be able to insure them for sensible money until you were well over 25 and with full NCB. Thats the good thing about an S4, it's still quick and has loads of potential, with a very sensible insurance price.

Add high residuals, and audi build quality, and a bullit proof engine (produces 380bhp in the RS4 (albeit in a higher state of tune)) and it's a very convincing package. I'd rather save 1000+ a year on insurance, and have a car which will hold it's money, even if it's a bit more to buy.

All other cars in the same class are 3x as much to insure, which is the problem for me, and will be when I can afford one.

4. S1MMA Forum Member

I didnt mean your saxo would be in a higher group, I meant with the mods declared it would be more of a risk than my car, so you would probably be able to insure the S4 for similar/less money than me (as you're paying 900 already, you could probably insure my car for like 5-600, so if I can insure an S4 for 1100, you may be able to get it for less). All theory of coarse, not taking into account profession/area/and all the rest of it.

5. Armour

Armour Forum Junkie

My 1.8T Golf is insured with no NCB, I'm 23 live in a quiet village and Admiral took 736 for Full Comp.

Obviously the Golf isn't that quick from standard, but there is big power possible from the 20VT, and compared to my G40 it is luxury car lol

If its an Audi you want go over Lomond Audi on Kyle St, Glasgow, they have some real nice cars in there.

Alan

6. markovts New Member

yeah i suppose S1MMA (i was getting insured on the vts without the charger and parts for the charger for just 700 - that was lowered and an exhaust).........just need to wait and see how much i can get for the saxo :)
    Al, yeah thats where i planned to go mate, they've always got stunning cars in there.

7. Matt GTi Forum Member

To be fair S1MMA the interior on mine is very luxurious, full black heated leather, with air con, and dead quiet at 80 on the motorway. Admittidley the dash is a bit dated now, being ten years old. The only car that was more comfortable than my VR, was an M3, but you'd expect that. I bet there aren't that many cars about for 5000 that are as nice as a Corrado VR6.

8. S1MMA Forum Member

I agree that there arent many cars nicer for 5000, which are a complete package like a corrado, and I've driven a corrado, and I've been out in a VR6 Storm. But, I'd say that my mk3 is probably more luxurious than a corrado, and the dash is a lot better/upmarket. It rides better, and was engineered at a later date than the early corrado's (based on a mk2).

The point I was making was that an S badge audi is real luxury, albeit at a price, with performance to match. I know an S4 is 2-3 times the price of a corrado, but they are a hell of a lot more 'luxurious'. I've been out in a few S3's and an S4, and I was impressed, and when you take into account an S4 is insured for the SAME money as a VR6, it is tempting.

Would you not consider an S car for your next car Matt?

9. Matt GTi Forum Member

Personally, no, I don't really like the style of new cars. The money they are as well, I could buy myself a nice car, for example another VR, and have loads left over to do other stuff with. I personally don't think they are worth three times the price of a corrado. Just to add to your point, I went out for a test drive in a Golf VR6 a few years ago, and yes it was very nice, but not a patch on my Corrado in terms of build quality, power, or handling. To be honest I'd be very surprised if your 8v is more luxurious than my VR, in fact I'm willing to put money on the fact it isn't. A friend of mine has recently bought a MK3 8v, but he is working up north at the minute so I haven't had a chance to go out in it, as soon as I do it will confirm my suspicions I'm sure.
    Edited by: Matt GTi

10. S1MMA Forum Member

well, unless your friend has full black leather, and air con, then it won't be as luxurious as mine. Put it this way, your seats aren't going to be any more luxurious than mine, your dash is a more dated, and your ride is going to be firmer. Road noise, I can't comment on, but in terms of comfort, I'd say a mk3 is more comfortable than a corrado.

BUT, I think the corrado is 10 times a better car, it obviously is regarded as being in the top 3 best handling front wheel drive cars ever, the VR6 has 190bhp, I like the look of them much more than a MK3, and I'd have a VR6 storm corrado over a mk3 any day of the week.................but.......... it still isnt as luxurious or "comfortable" if you ask me! I recon a standard mk3 GTI will ride better than a corrado (due to the non-sports suspension) because it isnt a TRUE GTI like everyone says on here!

I'm not after comfort, I'd love a Corrado VR6 storm, but if you put one in front of me with an S4 next to it, I'd save up and get the S4. For the same insurance money, it would appeal to me more with massive tunability, massive spec, and the Q-car status.

I'm not knocking anyone's car, I'm trying to say it how it is. I love Corrado VR6's for what they are, not what they're not. And they aint luxury compared to this:

[​IMG]

And that one hasnt got recaro's...

11. S1MMA Forum Member