Funkbaron's MK2 Golf 24v V6 (Now Breaking)

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by funkbaron, Sep 2, 2008.

1. funkbaron Forum Junkie

On Saturday I picked up my 24v V6 from a 2001 Golf 4motion breaker that I had heard running and could get everything I needed from. Sunday, I took out my VR6 engine and wiring, fitted the parts I needed to get the 24v lump in place and attached my vr flywheel/clutch/gearbox, etc. Mechanically, it's all very easy if you know your way around the old VR6...and if your mk2 already has the VR subframes and cable shifter fitted, getting the engine sat in the bay takes only several hours effort.

My car, up until Sunday morning looked like this:
    [​IMG]

By Monday morning it looked like this:
    [​IMG]

Here's the pics with brief explanations to fill in what I've done so far.

The two engines side by side...I've removed the A/C pump and fitted the shorter non-A/C serpentine belt.
    [​IMG]

Rear VR engine mount bolted to 24v block - just had to remove the PAS pipe bracket and straight on.
    [​IMG]

Front engine mount from VR, with spacer in top bolt to accomadate the differnt blocks. I tried fitting this in the dark Sunday night after a few ales and was sure it didn't line up at all....in daylight/sober it was obvious. For clearance you have to fit the Vr oil cooler cover (bit with the large bolt head) - the coolers themselves are exactly the same though.
    [​IMG]

VR Clutch/flywheel - straight swap using new VR flywheel bolts.
    [​IMG]

First thing Monday morning wheeled engine into the car
    [​IMG]

Next jobs on the agenda are:
    Dealing with the wiring. Here's a bundle of it...
    [​IMG]

90% i don't need, it's just the mk4 seems to just have one huge mega loom going around the whole car- most of it I hacked off while removing from the donor.

The mk4 clocks/key/transponder loop
    [​IMG]

DBW pedal - I'll be taking the VR pedal box out this week and making something when I get back to work...getting the pedal in just the right position may take some fiddling.
    [​IMG]

The manifold - 4motion one (right) won't work, nowhere near the right shape to clear the steering rack. I'm not sure whether to butcher something out of it, or buy the very nice looking Storm Developments one designed for raddo/golf direct fit....369 though.
    [​IMG]

Here's the twin cats, which I'm hoping will fit in the mk2 tunnel, as I intend to use all 4 lambdas, etc - I know they will go under a corrado, are the Golf tunnels much different?
    [​IMG]

I have a shopping list of parts to get besides the manifold. I'm ditching the monster passat radiator and fans and going for a corrado one that fits properly - not sure how big the raddo coweling is, but I'm probably going to get slimline fans anyway. So that's pretty much it for now...another update soon!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  2. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

Awesome work so far :thumbup:

To be fair 369 for a manifold isn't too badly priced, does it free up any extra ponies?

3. philwept_33 Forum Member

keep up the good work Baz, i will be checking on your progress tonight on my way past yours!!

4. gillm

gillm ***** User

top work fella yet again . will be keeping a eye on this one :)

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Awesome work, if I was going to do a 6 pot into a MK2 this would be the way to go! I have MK4 wiring diagrams if you're interested, not sure if they include the 4 motion lump but the important bits should be similar I'd have thouight :)

Corrado tunnel is taller but thats only for cable shifter/awd, i.e. its the same as a Golf G60/Rallye. I dont think it is actually any wider at the base so I recon theres a very good chance it will fit just dandy :)

6. prof Forum Addict

Daz used some mighty yet slimline fans on his 2 motor corrado, details should be in the thread. might be Spal ones

7. pRot3us Forum Junkie

8. golfmantobes Forum Member

looking good dude, lovely looking clean mk2! and nice choice of lump! gonna be fun working out the DBW mounting i reckon! gotta be worth a you tube entry when all working!![8-}] :thumbup:

9. jimmy123 Forum Member

good going barry:thumbup:

10. funkbaron Forum Junkie

Cheers for offering rubjonny, but I've been lucky enough to have the diagrams sent to me and I've also installed elsa on my PC, so I have the wiring covered....I think. And thanks for the tunnel info, sounds like the cats will fit OK then.

Prof, I've been looking at Tripac fans on the Merlin Motorsport site, here:
    http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/COOLING-Electric-Fans-Tripac/c20_268_514/index.html
    With the fixing kit, which means no cowel required - presumably, the car will just take longer to get up to temperature without the cowel(?).
    Thanks for the comments.:)

Today I've pretty much got the wiring loom sorted (more on that later) and I also painted the inlet manifold - the rocker cover will be next...looks a lot better in "aluminium" silver I think.

[​IMG]

11. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

Looking good. Will keep an eye on this one! Hope it all goes well!

12. prof Forum Addict

pm dazbananaanana about those fans, as he's got loads of useful stuff on the corrado

13. funkbaron Forum Junkie

Not the most exciting update, but I've been busy hacking away at the engine loom and removed the bulk of unwanted wiring, which has left me with this:

[​IMG]

I'm hoping to drop this little lot in the car and splice in my stalks/mfa etc where needed.

14. rubjonny

looks like a lot of wires just for engine & clocks :o
    if it was me I'd bin everything on the mk4 loom that isnt engine/clock related then pull the mk2 loom and bin everything that IS engine/clock related :lol:

I would try to get rid of the MK4 fusebox if physically possible too, but having the MK4 clocks makes things tricky as i guess it plugs stragiht into the fusebox like on a MK2. Engine side I guess its just like earlier models, you get tons of wiring for the ecu but only a few wires that run to the fusebox?

15. funkbaron Forum Junkie

I pretty much have binned the bulk of non-engine/pedal/clocks/transponder wiring, probably 40% of the wires left in that bundle won't be needed either.

I'm not sure how feasible it is to ditch the fusebox, unless I got the immobilisor deleted from the ECU and ran mk2 clocks, then just spliced the engine into my old VR engine plugs...which is really starting to sound like the easier option.

16. rubjonny

it is amazing how much wiring you end up binning. on the abf loom for my mates car we have a box about half meter by half meter nearly to the brim with interior wires, blus a black binliner nearly just with wires i binned from the engine loom alone :lol:

17. vrbanana Forum Junkie

You can remove the fuse box and more wiring, it can come down to this few relays and note the small replacement fuse box built into the relay plate, that’s all you need

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. funkbaron Forum Junkie

I'm down to just the relay plate, with ECU and fuel pump relay, I'm just a bit confused about what to do with the clocks and immobilisor end of things, hence leaving the fusebox on - did you splice the rest into the CE2 box plugs? Most of the info on the net is from people who have deleted the immobilisor and binned the mk4 clocks/transponder ring, which leads me to think I'm making work harder for myself by keeping it.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  19. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

20. funkbaron Forum Junkie

I'm now going to ditch the mk4 fusebox, and splice the mk4 clock wiring loom into the two blue CE2 clock harness plugs (mine are from VR so most pins should be there) and splice engine wiring into the 3 white CE2 VR engine harness plugs....the remaining clock wires going to the ecu should sort the immobilisor out and the dbw pedal is on a seperate circuit direct to the ecu - there's very little info out there about all this, so can anybody see any issues with that wiring setup?

Cheers
    Baz