Golf Mk2 20vt

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by jshep73, May 22, 2019.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yes see the cut blue on the left, thats where it used to go, you need to solder it to the other side of the board. reason is the mk4 level sender works opposite to mk1/2/3 :)

the tabs have been ground off so you can fit a mk4 pump, the cage in the bottom gets in the way of it you see

2. jshep73 Forum Member

Can anyone recommend a decent photo hosting? Photobucket not a fan, Flickr def not a fan. Google Drive needs people to be signed up.

I just want a simple site that has a link for the photo that I can put on the forum!!

3. rubjonny

you should be able to upload direct to the forum :)

4. jshep73 Forum Member

TOWER.jpg

erreesse likes this.
  5. jshep73 Forum Member

Ah it works. Cheers! The above is me making a bracket for the gear shifter....

6. jshep73 Forum Member

bay2.jpg

Engine bay last week! Seeing this photo has just remined me of something. Power steering pump, I heard people use the mk2 pump with the mk4 pulley. I just left the mk4 pump and pulley on. Any issues with this?

erreesse likes this.
  7. jshep73 Forum Member

crane.jpg

Ah I remember putting the block in the first time! I actually thought it would be the last time aswell!! What a noob!!!

erreesse likes this.
  8. jshep73 Forum Member

loom.jpg

This is what I removed from the Mk4 donor car. After reading many threads I decided to send the loom off to someone that knew what they were doing, even though there are how-to guides etc on here. I think £200 is very cheap for the service I got... the loom that came back was literally plug and play. Immo deleted from ECU, OBD2 port wired in, tacho converter attached, lambda delete etc etc. So much time and hassle saved. Well - as long as the car runs/drives!

erreesse likes this.
  9. rubjonny

looking good :) some versions of the MK4 pump have clearance issues when fitted to a mk2, yours lines up fine so you can keep it :)

10. jshep73 Forum Member

When the engine first went in the pump had 1-2mm clearance on the crossmember. But now there is 5mm. Not sure how as I didn't change any mounts/brackets etc!

11. jshep73 Forum Member

Could anyone confirm which way around the plumping is on the firewall. Which goes to 1.8T hardline and which to the plastic coolant flange?

12. rubjonny

whichever way round the hoses fit the neatest without crossing over each other. the early mk4 matrix is the same as the mk2 one and is in roughly the same spot relative to the engine so hoses should fit up pretty nice

jshep73 likes this.
  13. jshep73 Forum Member

Ah so it doesn't actually matter? I assumed it would be one way system. Cheers!

14. rubjonny

technically the matrix will flow just fine either way, the feed comes in from the passenger side pipe and outlet on the driver side. since the mk4 matrix is the same when routed right the mk4 pipes will fit right up nice and neat no bother

15. Matt_16v New Member

Watching with interest! I swear I have a fear of wiring harnesses. Every time I see one laid out like that it just fries my brain.

What’s the FMIC/hosing plan?

16. jshep73 Forum Member

I have read on a few threads - do not scrimp on wiring!

Intercooler and hosing will be planned in the next couple of weeks. I'm still waiting on parts. Just counted all items I have bought on ebay, Trackslag etc and I am waiting for 11 orders!!! Does my head in!

I will take some photos this evening of where I am at...

17. jshep73 Forum Member

Rad1.jpg

Standard 16v radiator and fan seem to fit so it will do for now.

Radpipes1.jpg

Mocking up coolant pipes with stuff I have from the donor and original KR engine.

PCV.jpg

Removed all of these vacuum lines

18. jshep73 Forum Member

MC1.jpg MC3.jpg

Stubby master and reservoir arrived after I paid my scene tax. Grrrr.

Plenty of clearance though which is nice... photo above shows it touching the cambelt cover but the servo is not bolted in completely. When it is pushed back to standard position everything clears great!

More issues though (of course) - the sensor plug is different to Mk2. So I thought of swapping the cap for my Mk2 item, but the dipstick is longer. Then I thought of swapping the dipstick that spins on the inside of the cap, but that is a different size also. So I guess I need to get a 2 pin mk4 style connector.

Also the threads on the MC are bigger than my old MC. Are adapters available? Or do I need to take the brake hardlines apart?

Cheers all

19. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

I had a stubby focus cylinder arrive a few days ago, had 4 outlets, 2 m10x1 on the passenger side which will connect to the original pipes, and 2 m12 on drivers side, which will get blanked with bleed nipples that arrived today.
    Could you change to m12x1 unions on your pipework?

20. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Adaptor, or larger end Screenshot_20200601-200936_eBay.jpg