Gran Turismo 5 Prologue

Discussion in 'Computers and Consoles' started by PhatVR6, Mar 27, 2008.

1. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

I actually played GT the other day round my mates and wasn't that impressed with the prologue tbh. Don;t get me wrong, it looks lovely, but I need more than fancy graphics to keep me entertained. I also found it quite easy (although it was near the start of it)

I think in this day and age having no damage modelling is a massive negative against the game. Especially one that claims to be the ultimate simulator. I don't necessarily expect fully integrated and real life rag doll physics with 100% realistic modelling of each different impact having different effects to the car. But some pannel bending and major loss of performace would be good after you've smashed into a wall at 100mph.

I guess that must be the difference between the "Ultimate Simulator" on a Console (GT Prolgue) VS what I think is The "Ultimate Simulator" on a PC (GTR2).

One actually does model as much detail into a game which affects everything to do with the handling of the car (and includes full intergration with Motec Engine management and full real time telemetry that you can watch and compare with different set ups etc) and that one allows you to fling you car at impossible speeds into corners you can't make it round without bucing of 3 cars and the barrier that will destroy your car but actually, it doesn't.

Enjoyable, short life arcade game imho.

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  2. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Glad I`m not the only one who thinks this.

It`s not as if it can`t be done. Look at GTA4 for example; by no means does it bill itself as anything like real life, but the damage modelling is the best I`ve seen.

Whatever you hit, lamp post, bus stop, other cars, even people, all leave their own unique damage, consistant with what would really happen. Granted you can plough into a parked car at 100+ mph, and, drive away, but this is only possible for playability purposes, and the cars won`t be entirely unscathed (front end stoved in, windows smashed, suspension bent, smoking, etc).

I just wonder if it is a condition of the licensing from the manufacturers? Ie; they don`t want to see their cars bent...

3. superden Forum Addict

I should imagine thats why the cars in GTA only look remarkably similar to the real life counterparts ... I mean, what mainstream manufacturer wants to be allied to a game that promotes gun crime, prostitution and graphic violence ? Hardly a coup for the PR department. Did BMW not poo-poo the alteration of the cars in GT4 ? IIRC you couldnt place optional alloys etc on any of the BMW range.

4. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

Wasn't a prolem for EA with Need for Speed Pro street

[YOUTUBE]KujGeD2F2sg[/YOUTUBE]

So why with Sony and GT they don't put it in...........[:[]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  5. fthaimike Forum Addict

What are those games out that you get points for crashing? do they use branded cars?

6. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Burnout. And no, they don`t...

7. Valleys boy Forum Member

How the fook are they supposed to create damage models for the reported 500+ cars in the game? You're either gonna get 500+ cars with no damage, or 50 odd cars with damage! I'd rather a greater choice of cars myself!

8. fthaimike Forum Addict

Uh once you have the basic crash model it wouldn't be hard to transfer it between each car, it wouldn't have to be that accurate as it's not as if someone is going to go & crash a car to prove it crumples differently, more down to brands not wanting to see they cars all smashed up.

9. Phil. Forum Junkie

Anymore news on the 'ring making an appearance on Prologue?