Granny Write's My Car Off :(

Discussion in 'Ooooops!' started by t'mill, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

absolutely. that is what insurance is for and i cant stand c**** that make massive mistakes like that.

with regard to the value of the mk2 golf, i wonder if your own insurer would be more sympathetic as they know theyd be able to claim that for the third party insurer

2. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Unfortunately you can't demand that they fix it, any insurance policy will only pay out up to the "market value" of the insured item if insurers were obliged to repair every vehicle our premiums would rocket. I wouldn't want to subsidise the 3000 claim to repair a 1990 Rover worth 250.

They only "take your property off you" if the vehicle is a total loss (beyond economic repair) in which case they pay out the "market value" (or their version of it) & effectively buy the car off you.

I'm not saying that this is entirely fair, but that's how it is[8(]

3. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

ok in which case, DEMAND a whole heap of cash, as they have wrecked your golf that you litirally cannot replace.... try finding a mk2 with that kit in that condition?? not going to happen, so that means it is worth a lot

4. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

I quite agree, there's always the insurance onbudsman if the offers aren't realistic.

It's going to be easy for T'mill to prove to them that its rarity & condition make it worth more than the circa 750 (guess) book value of a mk2 Golf.

5. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

i wouldnt accept anything less than 2k if it was me

then you can buy this

mint mk2 on fleabay

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  6. Mike_H Forum Addict

If you want to keep the salvage, make sure they know in advance... Ask someone in their call centre to put a note on the case file, and put it in writing if you have to.

7. gazw Forum Member

When a transit van ripped the front off my Mk2, I was made an offer from the insurance company plus the chance of 'retrieving the reck'. They paid out 1200 in total, minus 250 buy back of the reck which left me with 950 cash, a car with a smashed in front end but lots and lots of good things to sell! Fortunately i'm friendly with a body shop that sorted out the damage for 400. Still quids in.
    My point is, you should get a payout, your lovely mk2 back and your own choice of how she lives on, fix it or strip it!

8. CorradoVR6-Turbo

CorradoVR6-Turbo Forum Member

man that sucks......!

9. t'mill Forum Member

Thanks for all the comments guys. My heads spinning with what to do. I went to see the car 3 days ago in the salvage yard to take my crystal lamps off and I did so with a heavy heart.

It looked so sad sat amongst the wrecks. I wanted to drive it home there and then to protect it. 2 of the lads who work at the yard came with me and loved the car so much that one of them had even gone to the trouble of positioning other cars around mine to prevent recovery trucks reversing into it or hitting it. Which he said happens an awful lot as the cars are more often than not scrapped anyway.

Ideally I would really like the car back to store until I had the funds to repair, but unfortunately I have no drive or garage in which to do so. Then there's the issue of having a new quarter panel welded on, and i'm assuming only pattern parts are available making the job even more tricky. Factor in the cost of it being jigged, labour etc, it could easily be over the 1000 mark and no doubt it would be a cat D or C. I'm guessing a G reg 8v will never reach the 1000 mark resale being on the register?

My heart really wants to save it as BBS kitted Golfs are thin on the ground.

10. Mike_H Forum Addict

I expect you can still get VW panels, but they won't be cheap. You really need to find a mate with a body shop, as I'd think it won't be economic to repair that damage at full price. Looking at the pics I wondered if the right rear wheel had moved, as it seemed to have a bit of toe-in.

Above all, make sure you know what you're into before you start.

Was this golf originally supplied with the BBS Kit? If not, what's the difference if you find another shell and put the special parts on it?

11. t'mill Forum Member

I don't think the rear wheel has been touched. It drove right. Good point on putting the kit on another car though. I'm not sure if my car was factory supplied/optioned with the kit on. I bought it with it already on and so did the chap I bought it from. I'm only the 4th owner anyway so it wouldn't take much to track the first 2 owners down.

I'll give VW a ring when i'm off nights and price up a quarter panel.

12. Mike_H Forum Addict

Good luck!

Maybe it was just the pic that makes it look like it's out of line - I'm sure you'll figure that out by looking at the car.

13. benthejettaman Forum Member

sorry to hear about your loss bud
    for a minute i thought it was a mates car that some 1 had posted as a friend of mine had a similar mk 2 with a kamei body kit written of in the same way

14. t'mill Forum Member

Did he put it back on the road?

15. t'mill Forum Member

I priced up a genuine quarter panel at VW today. Apparantly only available from Oldenberg, Germany. And the chap reckons they are sourced/made in Mexico. Didn't like the sound of that. Anyway, just for the outer skin/panel it was 240+vat. And that's if they could even get one as the system was showing obsolete but possibly available via Oldenberg/Mexico. All very confusing.

Then if any of the inner panels, strengthening parts were effected then there was of course extra costs.

There are however still producing 4 door quarter panels for all you 4dr boys.

16. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Gutted!! Just read this. Were you in Darwen or Cardiff?

17. brushdaft

brushdaft Forum Member

Mikedub had a rear quater fitted to his 3 door Golf a couple of years ago I think, Impact bodyshop in Brighouse fitted it, so maybe if you gave them a ring they might be able to tell you where they sourced it.

Such a shame to see such a tidy car damaged like that.

18. t'mill Forum Member

Hi mate,

It happened in Cardiff parked outside my house [:^(]

I'm definitely buying a house with a garage/drive next that's for sure.

Oh, and I made sure I took those rear headrests out you sold me! :lol:

19. smillsey Forum Member

ah i feel for you mate. Hope you get what its worth . . .. . ..scott

20. t'mill Forum Member

Just an update for folk. I have had an offer of 1000 for my car from the insurance company. I have rejected this and have sent off 10 copies of similar cars (age, mileage etc) to try and prove why good Mk2's fetch more than 1000. I await their reply!