Granny Write's My Car Off :(

Discussion in 'Ooooops!' started by t'mill, Jan 19, 2009.

1. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Could a Club GTI official give you a written valuation?

2. t'mill Forum Member

I suppose it would be hard for them to that as they never so the car in the flesh so to speak. Would be nice though! :)

3. PeterGolf Forum Member

been meaning to read this thread for ages - i dont really know what to say apart from sorry to see whats happened! hope you can find another to fill the gap that has left

4. t'mill Forum Member

Thanks for the comments Pete. I did pick up a Mk3 16v Anniversary a couple of weeks back, so i'm quite happy with the replacement at the mo, even if it doesn't look as good in my opinion.

5. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

1k for a car like that is an insult, I think that you can ultimately go to the insurance onbudsman if you fail to reach an agreement on it's value, I would think that at least twice that amount would be a reasonable replacement value.

Good luck

6. t'mill Forum Member

I'm hoping to get 1500 which I suppose would be fair considering I paid 1200 for it 18 months ago. I insured it for 1500 (I know this doesn't mean much) so I can't see why they would offer over this. I know it would be difficult to find a nice Mk2 for 1500 but I don't suppose I can take the pee to much.

7. PeterGolf Forum Member

yeah you can - mine will be sold for less than a grand and thats 'nice' :thumbup:

you'll defo should definately hopefully get 1500

8. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Mate, this isn`t going to help you in this case, but if you get a classic policy, you can get an AGREED valuation. Costs another 35 or so, you have to send them photos beforehand and reasons why it is worth xxx, if they agree, that goes on your policy, then in the event of something like this, you WOULD get paid out what its worth.

As I said, it doesnt help you in this case, but as you obviously spent a lot of time and effort getting your so nice, it may be worth looking at for the next one..

9. t'mill Forum Member

Yeah I have heard of agreed values but wasn't sure on the credence of them by just sending photo's. I had an agreed value on my S1 RS Turbo every year before I put it into storage. But this involved having to have it assessed by the S1 registrar IN PERSON every year, where he gave the car a good appraisal before writing a report on it's value. This I then submitted to the insurer, which was a scheme run through the RS Owners Club, and they agreed that figure.

Am I correct in sating that the classic policy would incur a 5000 mile max usage? I live 205 miles away from all my friends and family so do travel a lot back and forth there.

10. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

The mileage caries depending on the policy. I`d definately ring round a few and even if the car did need to be assessed once a year, wouldn`t that be worth it [:s]

As I said, i fully understand it won`t help you in this case, but it may help if the unthinkable ever happened again.

11. benthejettaman Forum Member

no he didnt cause the shell was twisted

but if u ever want sell your rear apron yet me know plz as im trying to get a complet kamei kit back together for another project

12. t'mill Forum Member

Yeah I have no problems in getting it valued in person every year, but not sure if or how classic policies do this. With the RS owners scheme you have to attend one of the RS shows where the registrars are.

I've bought a Mk3 GTI now so this is probably to young for a classic policy yet.

13. t'mill Forum Member

The body kit on my car is a BBS mate. To be honest because I don't have a garage or anywhere to store the car, the insurance will be disposing of it (crushed I guess) if I don't claim any rights to it within the next 10 days.

14. red 8V Forum Member

Just get another mk2 mate , say bye to that one.

Red

15. t'mill Forum Member

I got myself a nice Mk3 16v a couple of weeks ago. I just wouldn't have been happy with another mk2 because I was so happy with the one I had and a new one just wouldn't be the same. A total different direction was needed :)

16. Andy947 Forum Addict

You don't know what you are on about.

You CAN demand its put back, as it is not your fault and you should not be left ina w orse off position because of it.

I had 2200 of repairs to a car i only paid 1600 for, becuase it was somone elses fault.

17. t'mill Forum Member

Another update for anyone following this.

I rang my insurance up this afternoon to see where my claim is at because they would have received the 10 print outs of Mk2 GTI's showing how much they really command. They said it takes 3 days for the engineer to look at the info and make a new decision. This would be tomorrow.

The chap casually asked what I was looking for the car so I said 1500 telling him that's what I paid for it and that I was having difficulty in finding another in the same condition for anywhere near the 1500 mark. He said he couldn't authorise such an increase from the initial 1000 offer but would put my views forward to the head finance lady when she returned from lunch.

Got a call later on from the same chap and he said they would give me the 1500 :thumbup:

Not to bad as I paid 1200 18 months ago and I paid 2000 for my new Mk3 Anniversary so I'm only 500 out of pocket :)

So that's it folks. Thank you for all the replies and helpful advice that was offered [8D]

18. nealey Forum Junkie

Least you got what you wanted in the end, shame about the mk2 though, it looked lovely

19. t'mill Forum Member

It is a real shame about the Mk2. I try not to think about it because I really liked that car and had no intentions or plans to sell it for another 2yrs. Even if I had bought a new car I was going to give it to my girlfriend anyway.

20. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member