Heel and toe

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by Dubya, Apr 27, 2004.

1. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Works well, Chris can carry more speed through a chicane than anyone else I know, maybe not as useful down Craners though, eh mate??:lol:

We were using LFB at the Nrburgring last year at the tight corners (Steilestrecke kurve and Brunchenn II)that threaten to peal road tyres from the rim [:$], kept the front end in line and was more tyre friendly :)

I use LFB in the wet sometimes at Goddards (Donington) and used it at Shaws (Mallory) stops wheelspin in these tight corners as well :)
    Edited by: G_V_K

2. GVK

There's a lot of truth in that statement [:D]

3. GVK

4. NormanCoal Forum Member

Any of you guys follow rallying? Heard of the name Pentti Arikkala? Scandanavian guy who is termed as one of the Gods of LFB. He runs a school to teach the art of LFB. If you have ever seen a FWD rally car turn corners in the same way as a RWD car you know that LFB works. If I had the chance to go and learn I would - I love the way that you can hold the 'line' better when using it on the road (or track)

5. NormanCoal Forum Member

DOH
    Really should have know better, LFB would have caused that, I now know the cause to be an involuntary chicken lift :lol:

Worked really well in places - the tarmac was so hot and sticky it was almost ripping the tyre off because the grip levels were so high

6. AndrewF Forum Addict

that may be due to the fact that F1 cars don't have a clutch pedal! :lol:

they have a hand clutch for the start, but the electronics do the heal and toe for them when they downshift. similar with btcc cars, although the still have a clutch pedal, but don't use it on downshift as there's a sensor on the sequential shifter so that as soon as you start to move it the elctronics do the h&t and pull the clutch in.

i should metion that on most race cars (well, any with a 'proper' race gearbox - i.e. no syncro's) you can upchange without the throttle (even flat shift on some)...but you have to use the clutch on downshift.

there is no way on earth that it is quicker to downshift without using the clutch. the reason i suspect some of you can do it is that you're not braking anywhere near as hard as you can when on track, where it is esential that you h&t. if you ever drive and single seater you'll be off the road pretty quick in a braking zone if you don't h&t, cause you'll lock the rear wheels.

7. GVK

I think you saw the same proggy on Sky which showed some old footage of Pentti at his school, using an RS2000?, great stuff [:D]

8. Joe_G Forum Member

I heel and toe in mine and I think you have to get the height of the brake pedal right first. Also, I set the seat very forward so my knees usually rest against the dash almost, I'm 6'1 and my mum has to move the seat back to drive and she's only about 5'5!!

I find H&T is like riding a bike, once you've got it, you don't think about it, it's just automatic. You have to get to the point where you're confident about it and you're not actually thinking about what to do.

Joe

9. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

F1 cars don't have clutches mate! :lol:

10. AndrewF Forum Addict

yeah they do...they just don't have clutch pedals. hand lever for setting off and starting (these days they also have an anti-stall system for when you spin), the clutch is electronically controlled during gear changes (the elctronics also h&t for the driver)...these f1 boys have it easy! :lol:

11. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

You knew what i meant though!

12. AndrewF Forum Addict

;)

13. GVK

I'm the stage where I'm getting it right maybe 50% of the time,and always [:D] when It works :lol:

As you say, it's one of those things that you've got to do instinctively (sp?) :)

14. GVK

15. AndrewF Forum Addict

have you got it dialed now gary?

i was reading on ten-tenths the other day and was shocked how few club racers actually H and T, even in things like formula vee where the advantage is huge by doing it. i know that everyone does it in more professional UK motorsport.

16. edc1 Forum Member

Ha ha, but I'm not wromg per se, just arguing another perspective :p Why does there only have to be one way of dong things?! No tangled feet, just tangling with other ppl's opinions :lol:

17. GVK

I can do it 'better' in Claire's R32 , and now with the Miltek it sounds f*cking ace!! [:D]

18. AndrewF Forum Addict

read the post i put on there.

theres always a solution to the pedal layout...however strange and bizarre.

in single seaters and on my golf i used to do it by using left side of my foot on brake, right side of fott blipping throttle.

but as the brake pedal has got longer (i dont know why) i started doin it more by using my toes on the brake and right edge of heel on throttle (i suspect this will work for you in the mkII gary).

on my old punto (all three pedals were totally level) i would take this even more to the extreme by actually rotating my foot at almost a right angle to the floor (hurts your knees).

and on nova's i use the arch of my foot on the brake, and use my toes on the throttle pedal linkeage bar over the top of the brake (under the dash) to bip it.

19. GVK

I'd keep it quiet about driving a Nova :lol:

A decent brake pedal ( little travel) is the key to be able to do h+t in a mk2, and it's a lot easier if you're braking to the point of locking as well, which on track where you'll get the most benifit from doing it, you should be braking fecking hard anyway [:D]

20. AndrewF Forum Addict

better than driving a ford.