Heel and toe

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by Dubya, Apr 27, 2004.

1. edc1 Forum Member

I can well understand that ppl find some ways easier than others. I can turn my ankle to the right through more than 90 degs but turning it to the left I can't even turn it 90 degs unless I lean to the left and roll over onto my left butt cheek - that's great but not very comfortable and not how I'd like to drive a car! Granted, you don't need dalai lama like levels of ankle twisting ability per se. The BMW I sometimes drive has a floor mounted acc pedal so for me it's possible to pivot the foot about the toes or the heel and make decent contact. The gap's bit too wide unless I'm wearing chunky trainers (which I don't really wear anymore) for the accepted side of foot method. In cars like a Clio the pedals are offset so you might well have to make a few adaptations - and when you're driving a Clio those 10ths make all the difference lol, especially when it's not your car cos we all know mum's car and the hire car are the fastest cars in the world!! :lol:

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

I get paid to drive those ;) :lol:

3. AndrewF Forum Addict

is there enough money in the world to make it worthwhile?! :lol:

4. Jeff Forum Junkie

it helps to have big feet I think!

5. Unknown Forum Junkie

I wear size 7, still not a problem in most cars but i modified the golf pedals to make them level where the brakes bite. I also put that grip-srtip stuff that you use on skateboards on my brake and throttle, seems to help a bit but at least my feet stay put when I get oil on them in the breakers yards.

Modern cars are horrible for H/T, too much servo... [xx(]

6. AndrewF Forum Addict

only in rubbish road cars, not in a caterham though. i'm size ten but they're very narrow...still find i don't have much room in a caterham footwell.

tip - get a set of TT pedal covers on your golf, they're really grippy and give more confidence ;)

7. Nordoff Forum Junkie

Just reread this thread.
    Can't believe it's only been 6 months since I was learning clutchless.
    Biggest difference for me since then is deffinitely the right shoes.
    Using those adidas ones with goodyear tread underneath now, makes it so much easier to move around the pedals.
    Got bored with just clutchless changes a few months back and started on just left foot driving or swapping feet while braking and you don't even wanna know about lazyfoot style. :lol:

8. GVK

9. Guests Banned

i tried it and its near impossible with my mk2 the way the pedals.

im actually very good at down changes anyway and dont think it would make a huge difference. i mean on not on a race track.

if i was that concered about shaving .5 sec off the roundabout across the road from jim's flower shop i'd change my pedals

i do it all the time on my r1. blipping before down change but thats habbit.....power shifting up is harder and is not possible in a car i dont think

full power on the gas. clutch and change up at the same time

10. Nordoff Forum Junkie

Change yer shoes before your pedal setup.
    In normal shoes/trainers I didn't stand a chance with heel and toe or just left foot driving.
    Thought it was purely down to the pedal setup.
    Using these now.
    [​IMG]
    (Mine are a completely different colour but same style)

11. GVK

Should be good in the wet too, F1 GSD2 tread pattern :lol:

12. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

13. Nordoff Forum Junkie

Just don't run backwards. ;) :lol:

14. GVK

15. edc1 Forum Member

I just got some of those cheap. Looking to eliminate the wheelspin on those sprints to the bus stop :lol:

16. cforehead Forum Member

Right. A small forray if I may.

I had to learn to 'Double-Declutch' before I could even contemplate a roundabout when I was learning to Drive. The old Bluebird had absoluteley no Synchromesh in second gear (by virtue of having done 230,000miles on 1 box!), meaning that a downchange into 2nd was impossible without it.

I'm not sure what peoples definition of 'Heal and Toe' is, but if you look at G_V_K's Radical vid, that's exactly what I do (ok,ok, not even quarter as fast) but exactly the same. I honestly don't know how it's not a part of the driving test, it improves driving 10 fold. I do it on almost every downchange, driving fast or not. I wouldn't even contemplate a Downshift on the motorway without doing it.

I read this thread last night and had a go at clutchless changes on the way home from work. Yes, it's a nice feeling, but I reckon unless you get the application just right (which obviously comes with a lot of practice), a double-declutch (or DD from now on) is faster. Note I'm not saying better over all. I did also notice that a car that loses revs real quick (which 8v mk2's evidently dont!), would really help loads, I spent a lot of time waiting for it to drop into gear when I could've already DD'd and been concentrating on other things.

On the other hand, Double-Declutching is going to pro-long the life of a box since you are doing the job of the Synchromesh.

Please tell me if I'm well wide of the mark here, I may well be. I need educating!

Fordo! [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D]

17. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

You are not double de-clutching then. Heal + Toe is very different from double de-clutching.

18. cforehead Forum Member

Right. I AM double de-clutching, but NOT Heal + Toe'ing I think you mean.

Please explain why!!! [:s] [:s] [:s]

Fordo!

19. cforehead Forum Member

Right, with a little further research, I found that Heal + Toe is double declutching whilst simultaneously applying the brake and the throttle for the 'blip'.

Very similar, but a fooook load harder to do. Right.

Fordo! [:D]

20. GVK

:lol:

Amazing how many people think they heel 'n' toe without actually knowing what it is and why you do it.
    :thumbup: