Here They Are..... PICS!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by Andy947, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Andy947 Forum Addict

Like i tried to convey in the previosu posts - me and my mate are the luckiest guys around!!!

It could have been so much worse, and it really has made me think about things differently.

Seein the wreckage today, and seein just how bad it could have been, well..... it fuks ya up!!!

The way i look at it, we got away with it unharmed - yeah the car is a loss, but 90% of the fun was buildin it and knowin that i did it all myself!

Totally gutted though, and feel pretty sick whenever i see the pics of it [:^(]

2. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

thought that, today you stood for ages just staring at it. knew exactly wit you were thinking!

major respect due for a self built, non-cheque book car that was actually driven!!! :clap:

3. Andy947 Forum Addict

Hey, the car died in action, was built to be driven, and it was driven, hard - gutted it happened though [:^(]

Am totally tryin to look on bright side, and laugh about it, cos if i dont then i wil actually just cry [:^(]

4. superden Forum Addict

F*ck me ! You are one lucky fella to walk away from that :o

:clap:

5. Admin Guest

yikes at the rear end!!!!

nice to see your ok! [:D]

6. MK2. Forum Member

Kin ell, i see what you meant about your mate who decided not to travel with you [:^(] [:^(] [8(]

7. prof Forum Addict

i suggest a roll cage as 1st mod on the next one

8. Pike Forum Member

Just think what the damage would have been like if that was a nova.
    There's one thing you can't slate about Golf's, they know how to put them together ;)

9. seamonkey New Member

Jesus!! Glad to hear there were no serious injuries thats the important thing after all. You must be gutted however that was a well prepared car.

I'd dread to think what the outcome might have been if that had been something like a pug 205

cheers

10. jenmk216v New Member

looks like 90% of the impact was absorbed through the c-pillar and roof....probs the weakest part of a mk2...i think your golf repayed your hard work by sparing your life though! It died with honour.... imagine in a 205 or fiesta or something....!!!!!!!

xxx

jen

11. G99 PSA New Member

acf8181 was closer to the mark! the impact speed was less than 30! we went round the corner at about 50 at slid for a good 150 metres so that really slowed us down.

Those pictures are really making we look at thinks in a different way....

Ali

12. Blown Forum Member

'kinell Andy,didn't reckon on it being that bad.
    As others have said,your a lucky bugger to walk away.
    Still,if you still want a dub,I can do you a deal on the GTi... ;) [:D]
    Sorry,did I say GTi? meant the POLO. :lol:
    At least you wont WANT to drive it.....

13. superflygti Forum Member

:o [8(] SH*T............ thats shocking!! you are very lucky young men!

14. AndrewF Forum Addict

its a common misconception that mkII golf's are really string...and its a dangerous thing to think. in fact its dangerous to think any car is safe, as if you have an impact speed of over 40mph you're in trouble in most things!

anyway, gettin back to mkII safety, i'd suspect that a daewoo matiz is safer than a mkII golf. seriously.

15. greg s Forum Member

acf8181, I was just about to start a new thread about that same thing - it's a total myth that mk1s, mk2s and even mk3s are going to save your life compared to "French crap" which people always seem to compare them to.

Golfs are put together well, yes. That means the dashes don't squeak much and the doors shut nicely for 20 years. It does not mean that your legs/head won't get chopped off when you crash! Anyone got NCAP figures to compare passenger compartment damage in something like a mk2 and a new Saxo?

Oh, and for the French car critics, what are the safest cars around? Renaults.

16. AndrewF Forum Addict

no mkII figures that i've found, but...

mkIII = 3 stars (same as land rover freelander incidently!)
    mkIV = 4 stars
    mkV = i suspect 5 stars

newest saxo is 3 or 4 stars i think!

i think its very dangerous for people to think a mkII is a safe car, as its really not. a saxo is probably safer, its true. but it has to be remembered that a mkII is a 25 year old design, and if you compare it to other cars of that age then it is good. but compared to modern cars, no way!

i'm impressed with the mkIII actually, its a 10 year old car, and is as good as a lot of new cars. must've been one of the safest cars back in '92.

17. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

that's all very well andrew, but they don't test em by flippin them on their roofs and firing them backwards towards solid inanimate objects now, do they? ;)

18. AndrewF Forum Addict

is very true darryn...doubt any car is gonna like that!

they'll prob start testing roll over effectiveness soon tho.

19. richgit Forum Junkie

you slid for 150 metres?! wtf?! thats a pretty long way.......

anyway, glad youre all ok.

andy - on a side note, do you remember me saying, as soon as youd rebuilt/resprayed your car half a year ago, that i thought you'd crash it?

argh am i psychic?

20. greg s Forum Member

Agreed on it being good for the age but a while back there were people on here with mk1 Golfs talking about "I wouldn't like to have a crash in a Saxo lololol" etc!

People should really be aware of the dangers of these old cars. I'm not for a minute suggesting Andy thought he was invincible because of the German build quality but I'm sure some people have those attitudes.