Here They Are..... PICS!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by Andy947, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Andy947 Forum Addict

I never assumed i was invincible - i knew mk2 golfs werent strong, my old man had a pelvis in 4 pieces after he was hit in the side in a mk2 [8(]

BUT - how many cars do you reckon would still have a perfectly functioning door, like my passenger one does - the car had all that rear damage, and was resting on its nose with the centre cabin off the ground, and the sills / roof did not bend and the door aperature is still the correct shape - that to me suggests real strength!!!

At the end of the day it could have been so much worse, and i count myself very lucky, but i will have another mk2 golf, and i will drive it the same, and i will know for sure that it is not an unsafe vehicle in an accident.

2. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

haven't you learned anything from this?? you've been very lucky this time- i've seen the car, remember, and i think it's pretty miraculous that you were able to get out at all nevermind completely unmarked!
    if i were you i'd be seriously considering my future. you 've gotten away with it once, next time you may not be so lucky. you're an intelligent guy, you should realise -for god sake don't throw it all away...
    ... and besides, i don't want to be travelling all the way up to orkney for a poxy funeral! ;)

3. Guests Banned

One thing i never get is.

Roll cages, there as a safety device, but most insurance companies want to sting you big time on getting one fitted, even though it may save your life one day.

4. AndrewF Forum Addict

thats because they figure you'll think you're invincible and thus drive accordingly....but it is stupid.

5. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

My roll cage is costing me NOTHING more to insure! [:D]

Andy -- did you have a bonded in screen (seem to recall you do)?

Don't these ad a fair amount of stifness to the car.... maybe why it didn't all crumple on the roof?

6. Andy947 Forum Addict

Nope, wasnt a bonded screen - just a plain old screen n rubber. It was just that the roof didnt touch the ground.

7. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

8. Dubplate Forum Member

totally and utterly shocked, well pleased you walked away from it mate.

well so they say, but dont they sponsor ncap.

9. enc. Forum Member

is this your first crash?

10. VWSaxon

VWSaxon Forum Member

Oh man it does look bad doesn't it, im really sorry that mk2 was mint, i remeber the first time you posted pics of it...
    im sorry bout that, must be the worst after all the time and effort you spent on it.

whats you gonna do next then?

11. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

haha! andy? first crash? you're kiddin aren't you? :lol:

he's worse than windows 98.... [:-B]
    Edited by: darrynK

12. Andy947 Forum Addict

[:$]

Not had many crash's - thought echnically this is the 3rd time the car has been crashed - though this time was the worst. :)

13. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

really? and i thought that parking dent was pretty bad too :lol:

Edited by: darrynK

14. Davs Forum Member

don't wana sound like a wuss, but those pictures are genuinely disturbing.

id keep that in a museum now, looks like an awesome piece of art work!!! and it didn't even take more than 10 seconds to sculpt!

15. vwsean Forum Member

it looks like i might need a bit more than tcut for that

16. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

aim....fire...

17. poloace New Member

You guys wer very lucky if you had soun and the post hit the door one things would of been very different.

Please rember that all modern cars are made from is less the 1.6mm steel sheet folded nicely to give a stylish shape enough stiffness for it to hold together and a bit of crash abosorbtion from the front and back. My mate works for TRL and is looks at lorry accidents to help work out what happened Loory plus car= minced occupants. He had one car a MK3 golf I thik that had hit the central reservation on a motorway which caused the crash barrier to seperate from teh post and it pirced the front wing twisted thoug tthe bulkhead and then twisted thoughout the car. The main thing to remember when fittign a roll cage is that in an accident/roll over you may be worse off than without it if you don't wear a crash helmet as the solid tube will cave your skull in unlike hitting the folded sheet steel, would you rather head butt a baking tray or a scafold pole? This is one thin that puts me off a roll cage on a road car.

You were lucky, sad to see a nice car so bent.

18. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Just curious, 'cos I don't understand all these things, but did the modifications to the car contribute in some way to the crash? Or did they allow you to drive faster into the bend than if you hadn't modified it?Or did they save the crash from being worse? Or was it purely bad luck that you hit a wet corner?

(If they're impertinent questions, ignore them.)

19. Andy947 Forum Addict

Basically all the suspension / wheel modifications i had performed on the car, made it a worse car in wet weather conditions, and made the car less progressive if it is going to slide - so yeah, the mods didnt help in this one.

Though in the dry, it was superb!

20. stella

stella Forum Junkie

That sounds scary, Andy, esp considering the amount of times it rains in UK.

Does lowered suspension/fat wheels always make things worse in the wet?

Has it made you nervous about driving? (After I had a head-on in my beemer, it made me paranoid for weeks afterwards, almost put me off driving.)