i bought a C4 now with pics

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by gorilly, Jul 30, 2007.

1. GRINGOG60 Forum Member

I have seen dozens of Mk3's on eGay at the moment that are sold as spares or repairs due to massive amounts of rust in the floors and sills.

2. damogti Forum Junkie

I know two people that have MK3 VR6's and the pair of them have scary amounts of rust.... [:|]

3. Dr Gonzo Forum Member

I actually think French (PSA, in particular) diesels are more refined than VAG ones.
    In my experience.:)

4. Dr Gonzo Forum Member

My '00 Mk4 has sh*t loads of rust. About the same as my '88 Mk2 that I sold last year.:)

5. gorilly Forum Member

my c4 has rusty boot lifters... the dealer can give me some new ones though

6. inoakgreen Forum Member

and so the problems start eh!!!!!!!!!!:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

7. inoakgreen Forum Member

shouldn't of really mentioned that!!!!! rounded up quite a possee as well!!!!:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

8. damogti Forum Junkie

9. farquare Forum Member

just to but in,

i've driven mk2 golf gti's for the last 5 years but got rid about 4 months ago cause the g/f was using the car for a 70 mile commute and being a wee thing it was a bit too much for her every day.

so bought a wee 306 1.4 lx '98 for 600 and 70 odd k on the clock off her brother in law and to be fair - its not a bad wee car.

bodywork wise there is no rust anywhere which couldnt be said about my mk2's and certainly couldn't be said about any of the mk3's my friends/family have had over the years.

in terms of interior the seats have wee bit of an odd trimming (not the worst i've seen) but at 6'3 i find it much more comfortable to drive that the mk2.

its also a bit of a novelty having all electrics - where everything works!
    in terms of build quality/rattles there are no interior probs either.

all in all a good wee car for her commute and taking stuff to the tip - plus i dont care where i leave it cause i don't really have any passion for it.

theres also wee bits like the speaker connections in the bot and the fact you can lock the crank and the cam sprockets when doing the timing belts that really jumped out at me as being well thought out designs.

as for the C4 - looks a good car for the money, wouldnt be my first choice but then again i couldnt see myself paying for a new car unless it was on the company.

10. Admin Guest

there is a lot of wee in that post:lol:

11. paulyb Forum Member

Glad you put a wink at the end of that one:lol:

12. farquare Forum Member

13. paulyb Forum Member

Was looking forward to having the free weekend hire deal from my work, picked a nice looking C4,as I had never driven one before, kept it to one side all day so no one rented it.

Got in it to drive home, turned the key, "BING BING BING", F'kin engine management light was on[:x] :lol:

Got a nice Jetta diesel sport spec instead, Nice :thumbup:

14. Seraph Banned

Why are people comparing a mk2 to a 306 - there a completely different kettle of fish[:s]

15. farquare Forum Member

because i've driven them
    because its relevant to the discussion

are you suggesting you shouldn't compare these cars?

16. inoakgreen Forum Member

at the end of the day how i judge a good car brand is by looking at how many of the older models survive today as everyday models. ie i recks there are far more mk2 golfs (in any guise) on the road today than there are esscys, astras, maestros, 205's, r5's, bx's, etc... these are all comparable cars of the same era (306's to me would be more comparable to mk3's). also i dont think mk2's sold as much units in the uk than, say an esscy.

anyway, this tells me that vw's seem to be more solidly built. so i would rather rely on a mk3 golf than other brands (especially french cars). even if people say french cars have become better and vws have become worse, i recks they're still better in quality than most cars. it aint just about how the cars put together, but also about the materials used. in that case vw's are better - i recks!!!!

17. Seraph Banned

Yes I am, sort of.

They're from different era's of design late 70s v early 90s, so it seems irrelevant to talk about rust proofing being better on a car designed 15yrs later.

It's as irrelevant to begin comparing a mk3 with a C4.

Beside, this whole debate is really nothing more than an opinion fest riddled with subjectivity - it holds no real value.

18. farquare Forum Member

well theres maybe one less opinion needed here then fella (yours or mine)

i say its a reasonable comparison.

i have had to change my prejudices on french cars and based on my experience, but its all anicdotal.

the real question is does your car transform into an ice skating robot?

19. altern8 Forum Junkie

hows it goin now you put a few miles on it

20. inoakgreen Forum Member

are you presuming he's managed to do that????? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: