Isaac - 1992 MK2 Golf GTI 8v...

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Zender Z20, Jan 1, 2022.

1. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

For the want of keeping the thread active pending the engine coming back, been sifting through some folders of images taken while the car was (slowly) being 'reassembled' over the course of 2021.

Already a box of that adhesive bitumen sheeting for the MK1, bought well over a decade ago and dipped into it for the MK2.

It's more or less the same stuff VW seem to have used as anti thrum / sound deadening on larger interior metal areas.

Probably overkill, but even it does no good it'll not do any harm either, time will tell.

I'd also some left over bitumen backed thick jute material, supposedly used by coach builders and got as an off cut from one on eBay. Real old fashioned stuff that sheds all over the place and a pig to cut.

The only areas on the MK2 that leapt out at me as maybe needing some were the voids either side of the rear passenger seat and the floor beneath the bench.

Already put waxoyl in before I'd planned all this and so as not to let the jute sit in it, it was suspended from the black cross member with ties, just hangs there, not touching anything. Added bonus is if there's ever a leak for example, shouldn't absorb water.

1.jpg 2.jpg 6.jpg 8.jpg 12.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

2. Zender Z20

If (big if) I can find it again and someone needs it I'd scanned the instruction book a few years ago for another forum, though something tells me it's in German which might not be so useful.

3. Zender Z20

End of January since an update, apologies!

In fairness there was a lull in things for a while, but doesn't mean I haven't been plugging away.

MOT is booked for early June and I'm genuinely getting concerned I'm not going to make it. No matter how much you think you've done and have to do, there's always more.

That wouldn't be such a biggie if appointments over here were easy come by. Daughters car is due mid-July and went to book it early a few days back... first appointment available anywhere in N. Ireland was mid-September.

Really don't know how it'll work out if the MK2 needs a re-test, are they given priority or not, and even they are is it likely to be days or weeks / months?

Will retrospectively put up some posts of work but at the moment I've the engine 'mocked' up so as to make sure I've every last nut and bolt, so it's far from it's final assembly.

Some things aren't on such as one use nuts etc. and some gaskets but so far so good and nothing missing after a year+ in boxes.

The wiring looms, both in the bay and on the engine were labelled but the ink has faded / leeched so much that they're unreadable.

I've sussed most / can remember quite a few, but there's some I'll likely have to post up soon for help / double check.

Also have to warn you, as if it weren't already obvious that this is a quantum leap for me from changing oil and plugs, never worked on an engine before.

Using 7Zap / manuals and trawling the inter-web so as not to plague you with too many questions but getting to the point I may have to.

built1.jpg

built2.jpg

costel1969, Cressa and caddyboet like this.
  4. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Best thing you can do with the engine is put it in your living room and just keep admiring it.
    Very new and fresh. A huge amount of time effort and money has gone into making that so well done.

Zender Z20 likes this.
  5. caddyboet

caddyboet Paid Member Paid Member

That motor looks amazing.

Zender Z20 likes this.
  6. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Better than new.

Zender Z20 likes this.
  7. Zender Z20

Cheers... maybe should've been spending more time doing the mechanicals though!

This is one I've probably been foolishly dodging, did ask around before, but nothing came back and i let it slide.

It's not important now, but the only explaination for the damage you see below was when some welding was being done (driver side stump).

Anyhow, can it be safely repaired... thinking professionally, splicing in a new section if such a process exists?

I'd ordered a new complete line with rubber end piece from VW Classic in Germany via Heritage, but after a few months was told it was no longer available.

Found some identical pipe on its own (for the Diesel) on-line and while it's not contoured exactly like the GTI's will probably work fine with some massaging.

Problem is that rubber connection piece to the fuel rail end on the damaged line... just won't budge.

Nearly bust a nut pulling on it, heated it up / immersed it in boiling water and no movement whatsoever.

You can feel how far it goes up the pipe - to the red line, so in quite a bit.

The end piece is still available according to some stockists, but at £60 - 70 I'd rather not thank you.

So ideally, the original line with end pipe still on being fixed is #1 choice if safely doable

Failing that a cheaper alternative to the VW end piece to the fuel rail on the new diesel line.

Guessing the original end piece is just regular fuel pipe, only countoured to fit nicely... or maybe not?

Sorry, couldn't get half decent piccies this evening.

feed.jpg feed1.jpg feed2.jpg

8. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

So you need the plastic fuel pipe?
    I got mk4 fuel lines for my conversion, but used mk4 style ends and fittings for ease to the filter I used and engine.
    But I thought the earlier cars use a brass insert in the end of plastic pipe so rubber can be clamped without crushing it, could you get a pipe off something longer, like a passat or audi a6 then modify that, cut and use inserts?
    I'll see if have any bits about.

9. Zender Z20

Your right about the brass inserts, both the existing black feed and blue return plastic pipes have them.

I've a black plastic feed line from the MK2 Diesel Golf which is actually a little longer than the GTI's.

It's pre-shaped too, but not so differently to the GTI's that I don't think it'll be a problem getting it to fit.

It's the rubber connection at the engine / fuel rail end that's foxing me, can get it off the old damaged line so as to fit it to the new Diesel one.

The new Diesel line doesn't have the brass inserts at either end, something else I'll have to consider now!

Was doing the same with the gearbox as the engine and mocking it up to check nothing's missing... would like to understand the thinking behind the decision to use M7 x 12 bolts to hold on the tin wear between box and block, strange.

Sods law again, but down one of the three bolts, though starting to thing I was always missing one otherwise it'd be there with the others - Luckily Westfield Fasteners do the exact size in 8.8, £3.29 for 15 of them... Wonder what VW would charge?

Thanks for the offer by the way, appreciated.

dodgy likes this.
  10. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

I've got my non gti black line still, rolled it up, but has one kink in it if needed.
    Also a couple other lines, can get inserts out if want

Zender Z20 likes this.
  11. Zender Z20

Finally got the rubber pipe off - cannibalized the brass inserts from the old one for the new nylon line.

One's longer than the other for some reason - piccie for those of you like me who find things like this interesting!

Original VW rubber feed and return end pieces are in OK nick, in an ideal world I'd change them out while doing the other work but the feeds not longer available and the return is an eye watering £90 from Heritage.

Seems to just be regular reinforced pipe, only shaped to fit around everything else in that area.

Times against me, so something to look into after the cars MOT'd.

brass liner.jpg

dodgy likes this.
  12. Zender Z20

On a separate note... down to the last one or two pieces in the parts boxes, but puzzling over these?

(M8 nut for size comparison only)

UK.jpg

13. Zender Z20

Did warn you there'd be a few questions...

Hopefully not too many after this... If I've got all the other connections identified correctly (if not I'm in bother, as it'll knock on elsewhere) it's just this separate sub loom that has me scratching my head.

Rushed a few photo's of what I'd say are the distinctive plugs on it, and possibly get enough info. to work forward myself if I find out what they feed.

The only items I've yet to suss the wiring for are the front fogs (big bumper) but the connections don't immediately add up with anything on this.

plug.jpg

plug1.jpg
    plus2.jpg

14. Zender Z20

Forgot - looked into fuel line repairs a little more, haven't properly read anything I've found so may be barking up the wrong tree.

Norma seem to have been one of the OE clamp suppliers if the number of them on my car are anything to go by so when their name popped up while Googling homed in on this... https://www.normagroup.com/norma-aftermarket/en-em/fuel-line-repair-kit_en/#benefits

They do the brass sleeves too.

dodgy likes this.
  15. Zender Z20

Had an epiphany... Connectors are possibly for the Hi-Lo horns, too late to check tonight.

16. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

1. mk3 golf plastic feed lines are similar enough, though the one from tank to pump will need the rubber end changing as the inlet on mk2 main pump is larger. tbh i would go full mk3 tank if going to that trouble since the mk2 pump housing has probably almost had it by now. for engine bay use normal rubber injection hose and carefully feed/clip it this will do you fine, had to do the same back in the day

2. spacers for suspension perhaps, are they m10?

3. horns, mk3 style plugs as its runout spec

Zender Z20 likes this.
  17. Zender Z20

Original tank and associated stuff was in pretty good condition and cleaned up well, though wasn't aware of the MK3 tank substitution until I read about it long after I'd already commited to sorting out and keeping it.

Good news on the engine rubber pipes though, mocked up the originals again and as you say it's not just as bad fitting wise as I first imagined it would be, result.

You're right - the unknown pieces are M10, they're literally the last two things in my boxes of bits.

They look so familiar, yet just can't place them. Very possibly suspension related though, I've replaced quite a bit front and rear and they may be the originals of new ones that maybe came along with a bigger component?

There's also the possibility they're stray parts from the MK1, that've found their way into the wrong box?

They look quite fresh because I've put them through a bath ofphosphoric acid at some point, removes rust and gives them that grey passivated appearance.

Just going out now to hopefully finalise the wiring locations, one or two I'm just not 100% sure are correct, more pics likely!

Car is a very late production one, may even be from the last weeks judging by the VIN and date marks on some components. Have found other MK3 cross over parts on it, has caused some head scratching when you're trying to source bits'n'pieces.

tank.JPG

tank1.JPG

tank2.JPG

tank3.JPG

tank4.JPG

18. Zender Z20

Wiring is pretty much all accounted for with the exception of these two.

I've re-wrapped most, if not all the looms in cloth tape, but it was done while nothing was in the engine bay.

May mean some will have to be re-done or tweeked to for example reach things when they're back in their place.

These two are on the same wiring branch as the washer bottle pump (it's the labelled wire just out of shot in the second image), to give you an idea of rough location.

UK wires.jpg

UK wires1.jpg

19. Zender Z20

Would they be 191 512 117 'Spacer Sleeve' (#8)?

Those pictured above are approx. 34mm length / 18mm across.

It's maybe as I thought - got new ones with a kit and old ones now surplus?

Attached Files:

20. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

thats what I was thinking yep :)

the plugs left over are side repeators and front fogs

Zender Z20 likes this.