Jenveys on Mk2 ABF, what do I need?

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by murph81, Nov 6, 2011.

1. murph81 Forum Member

Right, I've just put down a deposit on a set of Jenvey DTH throttle bodies.

They come with injectors, TPS, fuel rail and throttle linkage.

My mk2 has a fresh enough abf in it running on abf digi management.

What else do I need to get it running on the throttle bodies.

Any recommendations for ecu's or other bits I'll need?

Cheers Murph

2. murph81 Forum Member

Yes, I'm reading through, slowly but surely, theres a lot to get through.

Just looking for suggestions really, what lads would change if they had a chance to do it again?

Recommendations on good and bad kit they've used?

I don't know should I go distributorless or not?

What functions does the aftermarket ecu need?

I'm not interested in launch control or anything, its just a standard enough engine at the minute but would like some scope to be able to tune it when I add bits to it like cams, ported head, pistons, stronger crank etc.
    I have an adjustable cam pulley, 4 branch and full stainless 2.5 inch sytem, so I suppose thats a start?

At the moment I'm on the lookout for a decent ecu, I was thinking about a DTA S40?

Also do I need a different coolant flange for the front of the block?

3. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

You'll find most of the info you need in the various threads, but the obvious item is indeed the ecu plus a wiring loom, fuel pump, air & water temp sensors, trigger wheel & coil pack if you go that route.

DTA is superb and certainly one of the better units...very good dealer network & manufacture support. Others swear by omex, motec, emerald etc, others swear at them...that's down to the individual, dealer location could prove to sway the choice there.

The self build kits can be ok if you can make it yrself or can have it built cheap, but when bought ready built not much in it compared with off the shelf units.

I've had great results with customers engines on DTA and seen many other pro's getting top results. . normally finding them a better all round unit than others.

Water outlet is easy and off the shelf. .[:D]

4. murph81 Forum Member

I should have mentioned that I have a mk3 tank and pump fitted, so I should be ok on that end.

I think I can use the abf crank sensor, not sure on air and coolant temp though?

I am looking into a few S40's for sale online at the minute, is there an s40 and s40 pro or are they the same thing?

I'm not 100% sure if I need a water outlet, but if I do I'll be onto you, one looks good!

Hopefully I can get an ecu on the cheap privately and buy a premade loom.

Is there any advantade in going edis? Probably is a lot tidier looking, but is there any extra adjustment/tweaking available when losing the distributor?

5. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

If you are going to run throttle bodies you need an ECU that can run in alpha-N mode. Alpha-N means the fuel and spark tables are referenced by the TPS signal as load vs engine speed from the pick up.
    You can use any ECU that comes configured like this, such as brands as Emerald, Omex, DTA, MBE and Megasquirt.
    There are some older DTA EXP48s that come up as bargins from time to time which, based on your requirements, will be fine.
    All ECUs will require integration to the engine via a built loom.

Your engine sensors can be reused and reconfigured to work with the SEM.
    You do not require "EDIS" but you can use the 4 pole coil pack and drive it with the internal ignitors that are already fitted to the SEMs as mentioned above.
    ABF Hall crank trigger and pick up wheel do work with some ECUs. However some do use an external trigger with a VR sensor as the pick up.
    The dizzy you can argue does have its down sides at very high rpm 7500 + when used as a pick-up hence the preference to use a crankshaft mounted speed pick up. If you engine will make torque and power in excess of this then a crank pick up would be recommend.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  6. jonnycab New Member

all the adjustment and tweaking (fueling + ignition) is done via the ECU. You can tweak it as much as you like in there :)

running a waste spark setup is nice with the coilpack.

loads of good topics under this section which should answer most questions.

7. murph81 Forum Member

Thanks for the replies lads, I saw an EXP48 over on pistonheads the other day and was wondering what they were like, I might try and find it again!
    I've mailed a few lads already, so I'll see what happens.

I suppose if you have one of those units its just as easy to get rid of the distributor.

What coil pack are you using btw Jonny?

Would most lads with rolling roads be able to map it when it is running?

8. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Don't under estimate the importance of the loom. Many a good bit of electronics has been ruined by poor wiring and connections/shielding.
    If there was any single part of your proposed setup I would recomend buying new, it would be the harness (and that would be made by someone who understood control systems eg shielding, twisted pairs etc)

9. murph81 Forum Member

Thanks Jon, any recommendations?

I was thinking Badger 5

10. Toyotec

The above ECUs do not come with plug and play looms though.
    It is not hard to make really.
    Once you have the gear to interface to ECU and PC you can develop the calibration on dyno as well as on road.

11. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Not sure who, I just remember researching this 10 years ago, and I eventually paid the 350 quid for the full matching harness to suit the full system I went for. It never missed a beat.

12. Toyotec

My harness came with the ECU and was integrated to fit the engine. With Emerald you are given the ECU connector and the rest you create. Same for the rest TBH.
    People on here are happy to make a loom and you should have no issue and it certainly will not cost the price of a second hand ECU!.

13. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

The problem with used older type ecu's are availability of repair parts should they ever be needed. Many parts are no longer available. .a bit like trying to repair old tv's or laptops. If it's cheap it could be worth a punt, but bare in mind the above...sometimes cheap is a false economy.

Generic looms are available but a custom loom can be made neater to fit the car and hardware better.

14. murph81 Forum Member

I've mailed a couple of lads about new DTA S40's so fingers crossed!

15. Toyotec

Several chaps run EXP48s on here and they are pretty robust. Well worth the try.
    However If you made up your mind on a S40 unit try Bill on here.

16. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I've got 2 DTA EXP 48s, one is dated 1998, the other slightly more recent. So cheap, I carry a spare.

Work fine.

17. murph81 Forum Member

18. MelG60 Paid Member Paid Member

I would use a S40, nothing wrong with a E48 but the S series ecu is much better (easier to tune, better cold start etc) you can not run the ABF crank sensor on DTA as its a hall effect one (the only VW engine using hall,all others have VR) so you would need a VR sensor from a 1.8T or Opel C20XE that you can swap with the ABF one.

19. murph81 Forum Member

Are you sure?

I think Jonnycab is using an S40 with standard abf crank sensor.

20. MelG60 Paid Member Paid Member