K-Jetters, check your O rings!

Discussion in 'Engines' started by KeithMac, Feb 16, 2004.

1. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Tried fitting the 8v ones this morning, ends are too small for the braided lines [xx(] . I`ve fitted the 8v lines and injectors complete, doesn`t look great but it`ll have to do for the time being as the old ones are too bad to go back in.

2. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Looking on the vortex thread the merc ones are thinner and finer thread than mine (89 car) may order one to find out if they fit... ?Didn`t recognise the part number.

3. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Me again! ordered one merc injector for a 1986 190e 2.3l 16v, got this,
    [​IMG]

Part number`s A0000785623, bigger threaded end than the 8v ones I got off ebay, believe later 90 on cars had the little threaded ends?

So 4 of these beuties going on on sunday (with the top hats off the old injectors), oil and filter change and I`ll see what Vince can do for me on Monday!

Injectors are identical size, but without the top hats and circlips.

Even a reply off topic would be nice as it looks like I`m going mad talking to myself [:$]

Cheers.

4. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

:lol: :lol:
    They look smart, don't they? No rust will be popping up on those, anyway...... be interested to see what the power differences (if any!) are!

5. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Forgot to ask, what did the difference in price between these and the VW ones end up to be? (I presume you got them from GSF/ECP?)

6. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Vag were 42+vat each, Merc garage charged 31 each all in. Great guys in the parts dept, apparently they get a lot of vw people in there buying parts for their vans!

f**king VW prices are extortionate [xx(]

7. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Hmm..... GSF do them for 19 but don't name the brand, ECP do them for 21 for genuine Bosch....
    The ECP VW ones are 25 (Bosch). Bit of a saving there - but I'd happily pay more just for brass injectors - a power gain would be a bonus as far as I'm concerned....

8. Steve B Forum Junkie

guys is it just a pull to get the injectors out? as you may or may not knwo im having starting problems and i guess changing the o rings is a good enough place to start as any?

where are the o rings located and how are they changed?

where can i get then and what part numbers?

cheers

9. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I read on here a few days ago someone got there injectors from GSF or ECP (can`t remember which) genuine and they didn`t spray properly, just put me off a bit. I payed a bit extra as they`re not far from me, plus I ordered the other 3 tonight after checking the 1`st one was ok, didn`t want to waste 120 on ones that didn`t fit [xx(]

Opent `till 7pm which is nice, only got Sunday to fit them before a 150 mile trip to stealth so I was in a bit of a rush!

Plus as you say they don`t rot, will have to get a pick of the old ones up.

10. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Pull them out, the o-rings just come off. New ones from VAG, GSF, ECP, etc.....
    If you want to check them, dribble water down round the injectors while the engine is idling - the engine note will change if they are leaking.

11. Steve B Forum Junkie

just read through the haynes about injectors not working properly, what is the safest way to test them?

12. KeithMac Forum Junkie

fatherless child really, you`ve got to hot wire the pump while they`re out, spraying into jam-jars with the air flap in the metering head propped up a bit. Should get nice even spray pattern, no squirting, and they shouldn`t leak after the pump is turned off.

13. Steve B Forum Junkie

sorry to keep asking but is it these that i need from GSF?

18723 SEAL RING-INJECTOR LARGE General Use Most Late Inj. 85> 0.60

18726 SEAL RING-INJECTOR SMALL General Use Most Late Inj. 85> 0.60

or is it these??

18720 SEAL-RING-INJECTOR G2 16V 2/86 >10/91 0.50
    18720 SEAL-RING-INJECTOR G2 GTI/GLI 8v >2/87 0.50

14. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

15. Steve B Forum Junkie

tsc i thought earlier in the thread you said there were 2 seperate o rings to change ?

would that be 2 to each injector and would that mean i would need

8x 18720?

16. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

No, they're different rings, and there are 2 for each injector. - Keith has the VAG part numbers on page 1. The VAG option is probably the best as they are Viton - the pattern ones won't be which means they crack sooner, and are harder to push back in.......

17. Steve B Forum Junkie

ok cheers mate ill go down 2 VW and get them from there if you think theyll be better, better safe than sorry

18. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

They will definitely be better - VW changed materials because of the cracking problem with the old ones. I can't actually remember the name of the rubber the old ones were made of - think it might just be "rubber". :lol:

19. Steve B Forum Junkie

lol very technial lol cheers for the help mate

20. KeithMac Forum Junkie

My old O rings actually cracked off, rather than being rubbery, new ones are viton (big ones anyway), I may have got away with leaving the smaller ones on the top hats alone. Vag want 15 for the lot but it`s worth it really.

My second hand set of injectors came with the o rings and these were well f**ked as well [xx(]