Kiwi Seat Ibiza Sprint Car

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by RobT, Aug 19, 2012.

1. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Hi All

Following numerous requests, thought I would put a few details down about my car. Hope you like it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CAR HISTORY

1996 Model 1.8 16V GTI N247XVV
    Originally SEAT-UK factory car used for trackdays and demos of new Ibiza (NOT a Super-6 rally car)
    o Standard cars with Custom Cages 6 point bolt-in cages
    o Adjacent registration to N246XVV, factory GpA rally car and later F2 rally car
    1997 TWMC Saloon Car Championships at Lydden Hill, driver Barry Andrews from the Motorist Center, Canterbury. Class C Champion, 2nd overall.
    o 2L 16V Brian Ricketts BRM180 engine
    o Suspension by Will Gollops GTech Motorsport
    o Sat unused for 2 years afterwards
    2000 bought by present owner for trackday use
    o Engine remapped with Lumenition ECU, 180hp
    o 020 gearbox mods, new clutch, new shocks
    o Badger-5 DTH 45mm throttle bodies, power +37HP
    2003 Curborough Sprint Championships, first year for owner in competition. Class 3b champion, 88 points.
    2004 Curborough Sprint Championships, Class 3b Champion, 110.5 points, 12th overall.
    2005 Mid Cheshire MC Gold Cup Championship, multi-venue. Hillclimb Champion and 4th overall.
    2006 Liverpool and Chester MC Speed Championships, multi venue. Blew engine whilst testing before first round.
    2007 LCMC Champs, 497.14 points, 7th overall, 3B champ
    2008 LCMC Champs, 493.09 points, 11th overall, 3B champ
    2009 year out - moved house
    2010 LCMC Champs, 509.01 points, Overall champion
    2011 year out - had son No.2
    2012 LCMC Champs - 504.47 points, 3rd Overall
    . 2013 year out - too much work
    . 2014 LCMC Champs - ongoing - 402.45 with 2 events to go - (worst score to be dropped, 5 from 6 to count) - http://www.speedchampionship.com/. Sold July 2014.

ENGINE

2L16V short block Mike Callaghan Motorsport race engine (250HP) with forged high compression Accralite pistons, Carillo H-beam rods, forged VW crank, steel billet Cat cams, Cat cams Gold Series valve springs and titanium spring caps, solid lifter big valve head. ARP bolts/studs throughout. Titan F3-type dry sump system with fabricated steel plate sump using VW Synta Platinum oil. 19-row Mocal oil cooler and XSport dry sump tank plumbed with Aeroquip AQP push-fit hose and -12AN fittings. 48mm Badger-5 DTH throttle bodies with custom billet rampipes and ITG F1 DFV dome airfilter. Bosch green giant multi-pintle 14 Ohm injectors (440cc/min@3bar), 10L round AH Fabrications foam filled fuel tank with baffles, twin fuel filters and Bosch 044 pump. Vauxhall XE coil and Lumenition coil amps, Magnecor KV65 plug leads, Lumenition 451 ECU mapped by Mike Gilman at Mikeanics Motorsport. 8500rpm redline. Inside and outside 4 layer ceramic coated Simpson 4 branch custom stainless exhaust manifold with JP Exhausts custom 2.5 stainless system and single large re-packable silencer. Poly exhaust hangers. Radtec custom WRC-spec core radiator shortened by 100mm over standard fitted with twin 8 slimline fans. 85 degree thermostat.

TRANSMISSION

Aluminium Autotec G60 flywheel precision drilled and secured with ARP bolts. Spec Stage-2 Kevlar VR6-spec clutch. 02a gearbox casing fitted with SQS Racing 6-speed dog-engagement gearset and Quaife ATB diff. Good for about 140mph. Redline Lightweight Shockproof gear oil. SQS racing billet ali lower shift tower support and MTS Motorsport bronze shift fork bushes. Skoda Octavia mag shift tower. SQS Racing seqshift shifter with rose-jointed shift cables and SQS Racing flat-shift module. WOSP 2Kw geared starter motor. Standard VR6 axles and genuine VW CV joints. Full set of race-spec Vibratechnics engine mounts.

CHASSIS

Widetrack front suspension using oem Golf VR6 parts. Polyrace front wishbone bushes and Powerflex Audi TT race spherical bearing rear wishbone bushes. Altered front upright geometry. Custom steering rods. Custom blade adjustable front ARB and solidly mounted 25mm Eibach rear ARB. Custom ARB droplinks F+R. Custom revalved Leda front coilovers and Gaz rear coilovers. Custom spherical bearing front topmounts and custom solid rear topmounts. Spherical bearing rear beam bushes. OMP upper (ali) and lower (steel) strut braces. Powerflex front subframe bushes and power steering rack bush. Stoptec ST40 front calipers with Stoptec pads and 330x32mm disks mounted with custom Badger-5 bells and caliper brackets. Mk3 Ibiza Cupra rear hubs and disks with Pagid pads and new rubber hoses. 23mm master cylinder. ABS removed and system replumbed to F/R split with bias adjuster. Regularly changed Halfords Dot 5.1 high performance fluid.

Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels, 8x17 ET35 with variety of slicks and wets 240/610-17 BTCC/WTCC sizes.

OUTSIDE

Fibreglass bonnet and F2-style fibreglass/kevlar wide front wings. Standard GTI front bumper modified to fit arches and smoothed for improved aerodynamics. Headlights removed and fiberglass front grill fitted with brake ducts. Standard doors and hatch lightened internally. Perspex windows throughout except drivers window and front screen. Sunroof and mechanism removed. Removable plywood/kevlar flat front floor and splitter solidly mounted to chassis legs. Plastic aero side skirts. Side mirrors removed for aero and replaced with blanking covers.

INSIDE

All excess brackets, sound proofing, trim and wiring removed. Electric windows and heater retained. OMP race seat with Luke 6-point harness. Seatsport carbon fibre foot plate and clutch foot rest. Extra seat, harness and footrest for passengers when on trackdays. OMP plumbed-in fire extinguisher and additional hand-held extinguisher. OMP deep dish suede steering wheel. Additional gauges for oil pressure, A/F ratio, volts, and Datatool motorbike programmable shift light. Odyssey Extreame Racing 30 battery. Enclosure for oil dry sump tank and fuel tank. Custom Cages 6 point roll cage.

Personal Best Times

Aintree - 2.53 / 50.75 (April 2014)
    Anglesey National Double Lap - 60.42/124.05 (June 2014)
    Anglesey GP Single Lap - 102.46 (2012), 112.70 v.wet (June 2014)
    Curborough Single Lap - 2.59 / 35.82 (2010)
    Curborough Double Lap - 64.16 (think it was 2007)
    Curborough CGTI equivalent - 27.78
    Scammonden Dam - 29.29 (Wet; 2005)
    Loton Park - 2.61 / 25.04 / 62.93 (2007)

Only time I have drag raced it was GTI International in 2012. 0-60 5.28, 1/4 mile 13.89. Lots of wheelspin, 2-degrees negative camber not helping as left set up as used normally for sprint events.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  2. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Now that is awesome!

I guess it's not racing but more time trials with an exhaust like that hanging off the back.

3. jamesa Forum Junkie

Many thanks Rob :thumbup:

Rather well advanced these days :clap:

What does it noisetest at please ... static & driveby ?

Good luck for the rest of the season.

4. Phil. Forum Junkie

Love this car, fantastic spec!. I wonder what the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times would be if set up properly for that discipline.

edit: What does it weigh?

5. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Cheers chaps. Yes this is a sprint and hillclimb car, one at a time against the clock. Exhaust was done like that to make servicing easier and keep the noise levels down. Rear silencer can be taken off, repacked, and back on within the hour. With fresh packing, less than 100db. Last time out at 3/4 throttle, 104. So it will just about make the end of year hopefully. Driveby noise is LOUD. No chance at donny anymore, but are still ok at Oulton. Weighs about 950kg half fuelled. Lots more weight can come out now i have a trailer to move it about, till this year used to drive it to events. I reckon with zero camber, it would easily do less than 5 seconds to 60 and probably a 12-something run. It was wheelspinning in first two gears at Inters.

6. LukaszGti

LukaszGti Paid Member Paid Member

Does it have some sort of aero kit?

7. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Great to finally see some info this. :thumbup:
    I think the first time I saw this was at JBS in about 2005/6. I remember Bill having a look under the bonnet while it was warming up, and James cheekily blipping the throttle. Bill nearly headbutted the bonnet!! lol

8. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Been doing a lot of thinking about aero as it happens, and have acquired numerous race car aero books to look into possibilities. Firstly, I am limited by the mod prod sprinting regs which prevent nearly anything that might be useful on a hatchback above the wheel centers. So a front splitter can be used, along with flat flooring, and a diffuser up to a specified distance from the vehicle plan. But DIY flat flooring tends to add a lot of weight, without the benefit of nice rigid but light carbon moulded creations, and a diffuser is next to useless without a complete flat floor. So what i have done is try to limit the amount of air going under the car with the front splitter/ air dam and side skirts. The front splitter is part of a proper
    front flat floor section that extends to the front subframe and is rigidly mounted to front chassis legs so any downforce created has a chance of acting on the tyres. Now splitters work better if there is a slab of front bodywork above them so i have also created this by smoothing the front bumper, and also avoided putting brake ducts there, so these dont bleed away positive pressure above the splitter upper surface. At the rear, i have vented the rear arches to avoid drag as much as posdible. All air intakes at the front do something....and are ducted to feed air to the right place, to minimise drag.

The car feels much more planted as a result. I have done other mods at same time however so i cannot say exactly what the magnitude of the benefits is. But i think they are helping.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  9. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Pic of the splitter when being built

[​IMG]

It is suspended from four military-grade swaged wire cables which take the downward force, and held in positive tension against the cables with hydraulic struts. This allows the floor to move upwards if it hits a bit curb or when loading onto the trailer. The rear edge is fastened to the car using a stainless piano hinge.

It is 9mm ply that I painted with exterior gloss paint to make it water-resistant. Now I know it works, and the design is finalised after a couple of iterations, and it isn't getting broken in normal use, will get one made in ali honeycomb/kevlar sandwich.

Side skirt detail

[​IMG]

60-70mm off the deck as the regs state that min ground clearance is 40mm but that nothing on the car must touch the floor if a tyre completely deflates. Panels infront of the rear tyres are to minimise turbulence off the front face of the rear tyre. Started off as plastic but are now ali as a lot of stones hit this area and the plastic ones were literally shot to bits. The ali ends up quite dented so will make some kevlar-coated ali in winter.

10. LukaszGti

LukaszGti Paid Member Paid Member

Nice bit of kit.Which book would you recommend ?Just want to get to know more theory ,because I know absolutely nothing about aero stuff.

11. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

The spec is very extensive when read on one page like that. Really has changed quite a bit! Really glad to see you have stuck it out with a fwd hatch and developed it so far. Top job Rob.

Gurds

12. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Been reading your thread as well Gurds - some nice development there also - one of things for me over the winter is to go up on the spring rates and have the dampers revalved to suit - could still do with the front nearside corner staying a bit more upright

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  13. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

This is a good read - one of problems is that most books concentrate on formula cars and sports prototypes, and the humble saloon is largely forgotton! - but there is some good stuff to glean from this. Also anything you find on the internet from Simon McBeath, and the Mini link below is quite good also

[​IMG]

http://www.carbonweezel.co.uk/testing_mini.html

14. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

I don't think anyone who knows of the car thinks for even one second you'll be able to get away with just "a few details" - you're gonna get grilled into 30 pages about this car :)

And rightly so - quite an epic amount of development that isn't even nearly summed up in just a page of text! Look forward to seeing it run at Curby

15. mec82 Forum Member

+1 for the Simon Mcbeath books, very good.

Rob, was looking at your rear sills and wondered if there's an opportunity for some free downforce there? Hope you don't mind me scribbling on your image;

[​IMG]

rather than the plate to block off the rear tyre, why not use that high pressure region generated by the tyre to give some downforce. A horizontal plate that extended right up to the tyre would give a surface for the high pressure air to act on and also stop this high pressure bleeding underneath the rear end. this principle is used in f1,gp2 etc. and also in the front splitter design on BTCC.

16. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

I like the sound of that.....but supporting it would be an issue
    How about leave the end plate on, and use it to support the end of the plane that you have drawn? Infact that plane could be extended all the way down the sill to the back of the front arch....

17. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

You need to leave the end plate on, as the rear wheels sticking out produce a lot of drag.

18. Admin Guest

You want a fence on the rear wheels like that to stop the air getting under the tyres, however, I first thought the pic was the back of the front wheel, don't know if mec82 did as well?

19. mec82 Forum Member

yeah i knew it was the rear, you could leave the end plate, I don't think the tyre will generate much more drag than the end plate, however the rotating tyre will pull air around with it giving increased pressure.

It may only be a small effect but its 'free' and every little helps :thumbup:

This is what i mean on single seaters, floor extends right to the wheel, high pressure on top from air 'piling' up on top, low pressure underneath = less lift.
    [​IMG]

or BTCC splitter;
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  20. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Made the mags this month:

PVW Sept 2012, 2 pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Volkswagen Driver Aug 2012 Issue 147

[​IMG]