Little Red Ryder (hood)

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by PhilRyder, Dec 7, 2020.

1. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

That makes sense.

2. PhilRyder

This arrived today. May not get fitted for a couple of weeks as I'm laying new flooring in the house and SWIMBO might get grumpy if I am diverted from that before it's finished [:[] It's amazing how much water gets sloshed around the engine bay when it's raining. I've regularly seen water on top of the air filter and that can't be good.
    IMG_20210304_110734.jpg

3. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I've one of those, needed an extra brace for the front to atta to, but nothing difficult.

4. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Fitted one on the green one, took 5 minutes after I found some big screws.
    Could just say you off to get a tool that you think may have dropped under the golf and have to jack it up to get to it? Sneaky

5. PhilRyder

Replacement dashboard has been obtained and refurbished. Rather than write it all out again you can see it here
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/dashboard-repair.291018/

Today I took the blower fan out and gave it a clean and greased the brushes. I can't really tell the difference at the moment but it was an easy job so not a waste of time.
    IMG_20210417_104604.jpg

Engine undertray has also been fitted but needs some additional support fittings as it's not quite long enough front to back to line up with the holes in the bodywork. Pictures when it's properly finished.

dodgy likes this.
  6. PhilRyder

Took advantage of the sunny weather and sprayed the sun visors to match the headliner.
    Before IMG_20210419_164854.jpg

After IMG_20210420_075204.jpg

Came out much better than I expected. Used this stuff.
    IMG_20210420_081420.jpg
    Just the sunroof winder surround to do and then it's just hard plastic trims to spray.

dodgy likes this.
  7. PhilRyder

I decided that since the vinyl had shrunk on the sunroof winder surround, which seems to be a common problem, I would remove it.

IMG_20210420_095443.jpg
    The plastic underneath is nice and smooth. There are very small holes which I think must have been to allow the air out when pressing the vinyl into place. The glue used is blue but came off easily with thinners.
    IMG_20210420_100300.jpg
    A light sanding, primed with plastic primer and then satin black.
    IMG_20210420_115934.jpg
    Pretty pleased with the result. Sun visor retaining clips (although new black ones might be better to prevent chipping of the paint) and the large rear pillar covers left to do. Need some more paint first though [:D]

8. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Tidy work Phil.

PhilRyder likes this.
  9. dodgy

Looks smart, I liked the black headlining in my bmw, and need to address my golf one properly, may go charcoal suede, very impressed with how yours looks Phil

PhilRyder likes this.
  10. PhilRyder

Thanks Chaps. It's probably the best thing about the car at the moment :lol:

11. PhilRyder

We went to The Phirm in Camberley, Surrey yesterday. I wanted to have the shell checked over to make sure it was sound and suitable for modification. The short answer is yes. Great news! :thumbup:
    I can't rate the guys highly enough. Tim spent an hour going over the car and pointing out the issues. There is a finger sized rust hole up behind the rear offside suspension tower. This can easily be sorted when the fuel tank comes out. Previously welding at the rear of both sills hasn't been done very well. Bit of a plating job rather than cut out and replace so I'm expecting to have to redo that at some point. Other than that there is only superficial surface rust, typically at the bottoms of the arches. Tim said otherwise the shell was very good with the usual rust traps in good condition.
    Mechanically there are some bushes that need replacing, the lower ball joints are split and the front nearside shock is gone. Apart from that all is good.
    We chatted about mods and decided that the best way to go is to buy a ratty early Mk3 GTi and swap all the bits over. I know this has been done a thousand times before and it won't generate a huge amount of power but it's a good starting point for my son as it will still be insurable for him.

The replacement dash is in which was a labour to be sure.

Next up is replacement suspension which has been ordered. We took the good advice on here and are going for Bilstein B4 and Eibach 30mm lowering springs. I'll be very glad to get rid of the coil overs!

dodgy likes this.
  12. dodgy

Good news on the golf mate, let the games begin!

13. PhilRyder

A few things have happened since last.

The replacement dashboard fitted. That took a good six hours, start to finish. No pics of the dash in but this is what it looks like with it out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We replaced all of the foam wiring sound deadening while we were in there and the ignition surround. The original had been ripped off in the past so we put on an ebay replacement.

I have also replaced the blower fan. I took the old one out and gave it a clean and checked the contacts but it still squealed so new one ordered and fitted. Five minute job but now there is a gale rather than an asthmatic puff.
    As mentioned above new suspension has been bought and fitted The kit was good but I still needed new front top mounts, spring plates and top rubbers plus rear lower and upper rubber bushes. Still, whole lot came to about £320 - bargain. :thumbup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is what came off...................scrap metal.

[​IMG]

The ride is now soooooooo much better. It's still firm but it no longer "crashes" over every pothole. Number 1 son is not so happy as it is not as low anymore but there will be some settling (that's what I'm telling him anyway [​IMG] ). It's now the same height as a standard 16v GTi .

Next is brakes, wheels and yet more new tyres.

costel1969, erreesse and dodgy like this.
  14. PhilRyder

These are big heavy buggers. Definitely going to need a bigger engine to haul these around! I don't think I've seen pistons quite as big before either......
    IMG_20210602_131840.jpg

dodgy likes this.
  15. dodgy

When I fitted mine there was a tiny bit of rub from the disc to inner caliper bridging between the pads sounded awful, but a quick couple of passes with a file sorted it, was ok when cold, just a small bit of expansion after using the brakes and it started.
    Get the stopping sorted, then on to the go department, the 2.0 8v is getting stripped on the 13th if need anything.

16. PhilRyder

More bits have arrived.
    IMG_20210604_162001.jpg

IMG_20210604_171635.jpg

What's this hole for?
    IMG_20210604_171646.jpg

Also, it seems the carrier does not clear the ABS ring, is this right? It doesn't matter as I'll take them off but just want to be sure.
    Also 2, what size are the caliper carrier to bearing carrier bolts? I need to order those.
    Also 3, will the existing brake hose reach or do I need different?
    Also 4, the bearing carriers have the lower ball joints attached. Are they the right size or do I need different?

17. dodgy

Hole is for a plastic shield/duct to be mounted from memory, that tdi mk3 had them on in scrapyard last Friday.
    My carriers cleared abs ring, but you could un bolt it possibly when doing bearings, as believe your car is non ABS?
    I fitted new balljoints when did hubs, as I had them on the mk3 wishbone set (new) so just unbolted and fitted to my mk2, not sure if there are earlier and late sizes on the balljoint, mk3 were fine on my late mk2, may be the taper on them, but I'm not 100%.

Attached Files:

18. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

I had some 16v calipers that had a bracket that bolts on there for a short brake pipe that fitted between the caliper and brake hose.

19. PhilRyder

I thought it might be open to the fluid in the caliper but I've had a look and I don't think so. I've filled the hole with oil to see if it drains away.

I think I read elsewhere that the later/MK3 ball joint is bigger.

dodgy likes this.
  20. PhilRyder