Little Red Ryder (hood)

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by PhilRyder, Dec 7, 2020.

1. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Definitely not drilled to calipers, mine is still open, but should put an m6 bolt in just in case want to use in future, may be for a short pipe bracket, the lcr and a4s4 calipers I've had used to have metal pipes to the hoses from calipers.

PhilRyder likes this.
  2. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

You are right, the oil hasn't drained away. I'll leave it as is. As you and the Meister say, probably a support bracket.

3. watercooled Forum Member

Like what you are doing,hope your son is helping out to ?,that was the deal for my son when I handed my 89 mk2 down to him,I said to him not to constantly bug me to do jobs on it,he was happy with that and learnt rather quickly and after a point in time he really only a small amount of help,he moved to the big smoke and is now an IT consultant.
    He has got the vw bug off me and since owned an ABF converted mk3 wagen ,99 mk4 GTI,07 mk5 GTI and has recently bought a 09 mk5 GTI Pirelli edition which is a very nice car.

PhilRyder and dodgy like this.
  4. dodgy

My lad has helped with his polo we got him, and when hes up here does stuff on the mk2s, started him young around the scrapyard too, he has learnt to fix rather than chuck stuff and get inventive with things too.
    Good cars to learn on, pretty simple really.

5. PhilRyder

This morning I was up early and, having soaked all the fixings in release oil overnight, I stripped down the hubs. Everything came apart relatively easily, with the correct long bars where necessary :lol: I haven't been able to remove the hubs from the carriers yet as I am loathe to hammer away as the ABS ring prevents me getting anything in to rest against and it prevents me getting a nut and bolt in so I can press them off. I will take them to my friendly mechanic this week and he can press them out for me.
    I have answered some of the above questions as follows
    Also, it seems the carrier does not clear the ABS ring, is this right? It doesn't matter as I'll take them off but just want to be sure.
    ABS ring will be deleted as I don't have ABS so this is not an issue. The retaining screws are well and truly stuck at the moment so i will wait until the hub is off to tackle them.
    Also 2, what size are the caliper carrier to bearing carrier bolts? I need to order those.
    Solved by measuring, M12x1.5x35mm. Need to order four.
    Also 3, will the existing brake hose reach or do I need different?
    This one still needs answering. What is the connection at the hard line? They seem to be different on Heritage Parts. Is it female on the flexi at the hard line join?
    Also 4, the bearing carriers have the lower ball joints attached. Are they the right size or do I need different?
    They do appear to be right size which is 19mm but I will replace them anyway. Pinch bolts seem to be the same size as my existing so I will re-use them as they are new and low torque.

New master cylinder is ordered (from Retrofication, thanks @dodgy ;) )

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

3. you can use 8v hoses direct
    4. you can use the ball joints included with the hubs if good nick, 4 stud mk2/3/corrado/passat/etc all the same just pre-87 mk2 are smaller size. If you can find lemforder make joints they come with all fixings

PhilRyder likes this.
  7. PhilRyder

Thanks John, excellent. Ball joints are probably usable, but, while I'm in there................and all that :lol:

8. dodgy

My original hoses fitted no problem, they were same spec as yours non GTI.
    I'll take a picture of the hubs in a mo, I've got to put calipers on them for safe keeping in the shed.

PhilRyder likes this.
  9. dodgy

M12x1.5 35mm, just got some longer ones for my caliper conversion, high tensile obviously.
    And RJ confirmed about the balljoint difference, thought was early/late types.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
    PhilRyder likes this.
  10. PhilRyder

While waiting for brake parts we thought a bit more interior refurb was in order.
    Before
    IMG_20210606_103340.jpg

11. PhilRyder

And done. IMG_20210606_154457.jpg

dodgy and Savagesam like this.
  12. PhilRyder

Bit more today. We have a set of four GTi arches waiting to go on but before that can happen the edges of the arches need de-rusting. They won't be seen obviously but they will only get worse, as we all know.
    Car up, wheel off, arch liner out (missing two screws :( ). Much of the original wax coating is still there which is good. There is a lot to be said for arch liners.

Yuck....
    IMG_20210613_095528772.jpg

and yuck again....
    IMG_20210613_095534987.jpg

Some wire wheeling..........
    IMG_20210613_102544366_HDR.jpg

Nasty hole.........
    IMG_20210613_102551675_HDR.jpg

Not so bad at the front......
    IMG_20210613_102600465_HDR.jpg

Some fabrication.......
    IMG_20210613_104211928.jpg

And some welding. I spent more time welding up holes I blew welding up the holes I blew. Welding thin metal is pig of a job :cry:. Got there in the end..... I did go over it (and over it, and over it) some more filling the little holes...........honest guv.......
    IMG_20210613_112040353.jpg

Finally some Rustbuster 121 resin paint. Sadly the paint had gone thick and lumpy. There was just about some usable left, once thinned. It's supposed to be silver but due to it's knackered condition it's come out bronze :lol: Once the arch trims are on it won't be seen but it will be doing it's job :thumbup:
    IMG_20210613_121616395.jpg
    IMG_20210613_121622730.jpg

What I already knew, but today realised is going to cause an issue, is that, at some point, the arch lips have been cut back to allow for wider wheels. Not an issue per se but the arch trims fix to the lip! In places there is not enough lip to fix to. I am going to have to bond some brackets to the underside of the lip where the arch trims fix. More work......

dodgy likes this.
  13. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Good job there! That's hateful work.

14. PhilRyder

Thanks, only three more to go..........................

15. dodgy

Busy boy, good repair on the arch, let's hope you dont find real big holes, like our green mk2 had under the trim.

Attached Files:

16. PhilRyder

Hubs and carriers are back from my mechanic. I couldn't get them separated at home so they had to go away. It even took him a lot of effort! Now they are back I can see why, I think one of the bearings must have been rusted in place as a couple of the circlips certainly were. Lots of cleaning followed by paintings be done. New bearings are ordered. Wheels are due to arrive on Tuesday. Exciting times :lol:
    IMG_20210618_172858.jpg

Savagesam and dodgy like this.
  17. PhilRyder

New wheels. No.1 son is a little pleased :lol:
    IMG-20210623-WA0000.jpg

dodgy and Savagesam like this.
  18. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

You’ve made the Mk2 into a Mclaren F1 seating style?

19. PhilRyder

Don't give him ideas!

20. dodgy

Bet that steering wheel is cold in the mornings.