Mac`s Mk2 ABF turbo!

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Alex mac, Oct 27, 2012.

1. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

No. He had a spare. [emoji6]

2. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

AH !! That makes sense. I was a bit confused for a moment, hence me asking. I didn`t recall reading you`d upgraded which is why I asked :thumbup:

Anyway, sorry for taking the thread off topic, I should have asked in tshirts thread instead. [:$]

3. Alex mac Forum Member

No problem, it's all good :)
    Trying to find the right gearbox at the moment, I'm going by this guide. http://web.archive.org/web/20040807084940/www.kraftswerk.com/ratios/ratios_02AJ.html

I am looking for a 3.6fd but I can't find any gearboxes with the codes 02J (ATA, ALY, AYK, CES, CDM)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

A R32 MK4 is like a big GT cruiser with a distinctive noise and all modern conveniences. An ABF'd engined Golf MK2 like yours, on the other hand should have no problems out accelerating it and even out handling it.

In terms of turboing, the turbo hardware your have bought all other things being equal, would take the standard plateau of of torque found on an optimised ABF engine and change into a quickly ramping mountain profile that would peak another 100lbft at say 4000rpm and roll off. In fact very typical to what is seen on a 1.8T. You can shape the torque under this limit with an appropiate boost controller.

Gearbox selection is based on what you expect for vehicle acceleration in gear and what you wish to cruise at.
    For a good mix of drive styles the factory DPA/CPA code 02A units or the ENJ code 02J are pretty well matched to nominal expectations.
    If you have specific requirements for trackdays etc, we have also seen the 02S gearboxes work with certain torque profiles of turbo engines.
    If you are after a drag racing with minimum shifts or low RPM sort of cruise, then you will need a longer FDR as found in the VR6 or some 3.125 FDR diesels.

That is my 2p.

51ngh likes this.
  5. Alex mac Forum Member

My mk2 isn't as quick as my r32, the R has around 260-270 bhp.

I'm after something equal as I'll be using the car for track days, sprints, hill climbs and road use.
    Thank you for your input and everyone else's so far :)

All inputs and opinions are welcome and will be taken on board.

6. Toyotec

I am glad you made that distinction between your '270bhp' MK4 Golf R32 and your Golf Mk2.
    That comparison for me, gives a real world indication of the type of Gs in gear, your both cars would generate and why the addition of a turbo is appealing.
    It could also end up being a good example of engine downsizing, if the R32 engine is used as a reference.

As I also own a car very similar to your R32 for acceleration, in fact the slightly lighter 8L S3, where I can readily switch between stock and a remap for increased response. Looking at this from purely an acceleration basis, a NASP car like yours should have no problem to out accelerate an R32 MK4 Golf, given that my road/track Mk2 can accelerate to 60mph in 5.6secs and run a standing 1/4 in 14.3secs@98mph. My car, in it's full road spec weighs 1030kg. A 1J R32 = 1550kg.

On the other hand, it is a different story when the same R32 engine with an ABF 3.68 FDR on a VR6 gearset (same as a CDA/DPA gearset), is fitted to a MK2 Golf. The difference in acceleration would just leave me for dead.

My pointers above, where an attempt to move away from bhp numbers and characterise acceleration using vehicles we are both very familiar with.
    A Golf 2 ABF turbo car, with the KKK24 unit you just purchased, can be controlled to achieve a very similar torque curve as the R32 engine (without the weight). Effectively you could create the WOT characteristics of the R32 car I sited in the comparison above, in a much lighter car.
    If the system is made durable, then you would have an excellent track, sprint/hillclimber and of course completely civilised on the road :thumbup:

7. Alex mac Forum Member

Thank you for you input. I took my r32 to gti international as you know because we briefly spoke. I managed a 14.2sec run at a top speed of 99mph on the runway. I have a stage two apr remap, sport cats and a non ress milltek with a forge induction kit. I to also have the changeable maps.

As the mk2 is stripped so clearly weighs a lot less than the R, with a turbo and as you stated the correct gearing, clutch and eventually a slip diff. I know the R32 probably won't stand a chance against the mk2.

My offer was excepted last night on a 02J ENJ gearbox from a 1.8t agu engine :)

Cheers
    Alex

8. Toyotec

APR maps are pretty good recalibrations and that is a pretty rapid R32. With a cam you can get to sub 14secs.
    Your MK2 car will weigh about 950kg when finished and with similar power and torque as your mapped R32, will be able to sprint to 60 in near 5 secs and clock the ton in mid 13secs etc.
    The ENJ box has the same ratios as a DPA/CDA 02A gearbox, so expect 150mph at 6800rpm if you use 195 50 15 tyres.

9. twolitrepinto Forum Member

yep lol [:D]

hoping to megasquirt my ABF soon. i do want to turbo it but i am having withdrawal symptoms now its been off the road a while. if i just get it going on MS for now that will do, when i get bored again that will probably change :p

10. Alex mac Forum Member

Yea i am very happy with the apr map. Thanks eddie :)

HAHA! yea i had that problem when mine was off the road for a couple years, i don't want it to come off the road now which is why I'm waiting to get most of the parts together before i start on the engine.
    Ill take a look at your thread build thread.

cheers
    alex

11. Alex mac Forum Member

Received my intake manifolds today, so after work I chopped them up. [​IMG][​IMG]

Just need to get some injector inserts and then I'll take it in to get welded.

Cheers
    Alex

12. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

For info, this is mine.
    [​IMG]

I'd just suggest you check if the 1.8t top runners need to be that long. Check alternator clearance, mine is shorter and still close to the radiator. Actually, the IAT is close.

Better to say now rather than wait and say 'I thought it looked a bit long...' ;)

13. Alex mac Forum Member

thanks nige, i did think it was too long but i was worried about cutting to much off. I might take the abf inlet off tomorrow and offer the 1.8t inlet up to get an idea.

Nige likes this.
  14. LUPOCHARGED

LUPOCHARGED Paid Member Paid Member

Good to see that you recieved items ok. Also good to see you're not hanging around inlets chopped and ready for the welders:thumbup:

15. Alex mac Forum Member

Yep received with thanks :)
    Yea got home at half 5 from work, had something to eat and got on it straight away done by 7.

I don't like hanging things out, if I can do it then I'll get on with it.

Just rang the vw dealer, ordered 4 injector inserts at 17 all in, product code (037133555A)
    Was going to get two head gaskets but when he told me they were 44 each I changed my mind [emoji52]

Cheers
    Alex

16. Toyotec

The manifold runners on the 1.8T part, are definitely too long, I can tell from the extra runner material left after the injector tab.
    Good idea on mocking it to the car and measuring reference points. When I did this in 2006, I soon found out, the plenum must never be higher than the cam cover but be parallel. To get this right, the cut on but ends of the manifold pieces, needs to be at the right angle.
    MLS gaskets can be had from GSF or ECP or even ebay.

Alex mac likes this.
  17. Alex mac Forum Member

Received the water adapter today[​IMG]

Also picked up my turbo manifold, all welded up. He said it was really nice and easy to weld. [​IMG]

17:50 Took the inlet manifold off. [​IMG]

Offered the 1.8T inlet up to the engine, knowing that the manifold would probably be to long from what I have read and seen I just wanted to see how it sat.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    As you can see the inlet sits a little too high.

So I chopped them down and I would say it sits about right now. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Offered the fuel rail up
    [​IMG]

18:30 everything is back together in time for my tea [emoji4][​IMG]

Think that's it for now.

Cheers
    Alex

Toyotec and Nige like this.
  18. Toyotec

Good effort.
    I can see the dip stick tube has also lined up which is a another reference that you got it right.

Alex mac likes this.
  19. Alex mac Forum Member

Cheers Eddie. It went surprisingly well and easy. :)

20. Alex mac Forum Member

Gearbox has arrived
    [​IMG]