Mk1 20vt k04 hybrid build gti inters class 1 winner 28/08/2016

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by peterg60, Jan 14, 2011.

1. murph81 Forum Member

That thing must really move, well done!

2. peterg60 CGTI Regional Co-Host - Birmingham & Midlands

Really happy with it now that the engine side of things are sorted I can start getting the handling and braking sorted for some track action

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Look forward to seeing this on track!

4. Prawn Forum Member

Nothing like getting your priorities in order ey Pete lol

Glad it's going well for you mate. Good power from sensible boost :)

peterg60 likes this.
  5. peterg60 CGTI Regional Co-Host - Birmingham & Midlands

quick update my bonnet decided to open at speed :(. lucky windscreen and roof dant get damaged as the single wiper in the middle of the screen stopped it. few dent on bonnet and scuttle panel damage. lucky reall . so i have filled the bonnet dents and as the tax runs out in 5 weeks it will go to body shop for proper repairs in mean while this weekend it will be wrap in carbon vinly to make me faster for inters lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

old hinge blue

[​IMG]

6. peterg60 CGTI Regional Co-Host - Birmingham & Midlands

i had a go last weekend to repair damage on scuttle panel. never done it before but watched loads of youtube vids. it came ok but paint match not right but it do till bodyshop

[​IMG]

7. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

That's a shame, Why did it flip up?

8. peterg60 CGTI Regional Co-Host - Birmingham & Midlands

I don't know why it did . As it was fine in the morning when I was driving it. Park up took out on afternoon and it just shot up. Was proper gutted but glad I did not hit some 1 as I couldn't see nothing. Bonnet pins will be fitted trm so it does not happen again. All I can think of was I hit a bump and intercooler bounced up to the bonnet pin .

9. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

lol lol Hope your doing back to back Dyno runs before and after wrapping lol :thumbup:

Your repair looks great on the pic, how far of is the colour match?

10. peterg60 CGTI Regional Co-Host - Birmingham & Midlands

It's a bit of shade of the original paint had a can made up but it will do till 5 weeks when it go body shop. Here how it looks now . Bonnet pins on and vinly in centre of bonnet it looks ok [​IMG]
    forum image hosting

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  11. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Shame about the bonnet :(

Looks good again tho, should look good once wrapped

12. peterg60 CGTI Regional Co-Host - Birmingham & Midlands

Thanks glad I had my single wiper in middle of screen or it would of been a total mess

13. peterg60 CGTI Regional Co-Host - Birmingham & Midlands

The car is on the surgery table full chassis treatment.

Bc racing suspension
    Lsd
    Thicker arb
    New wishbones

Will update soon

1990 likes this.
  14. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Beast :d

15. peterg60 CGTI Regional Co-Host - Birmingham & Midlands

havent updated for a long time. the car is now of the road. after taking the car to the clubgti dyno day at badger 5 i knew summa was up with the results i got it wasnt making the power a f23 turbo should do and eddie summary where he states the car loved timing here is his summary

During this quest, Doug of FrankenTurbo, from whom Pete acquired the turbo and manifold, requested Pete to run some tests on the hybrid F23 turbo and a specially cast manifold. With the engine calibration already partly developed this year in time for the May Curborough, Bill kindly offered some extra dyno time for us to run some development on the car. No better place to test the engine but at the 20vT guru himself. So with myself on the Megasquirt knobs and Bill on the dyno controls, we took the powertrain to the limits of boost, knock and exhaust manifold back pressure.

Baseline established.
    Fuel mixture set to ramp from 12.5-11.8:1 AFR
    Tweaked a bit of the ignition at higher rpms. This was beneficial to torque but we could also see the boost was dropping off at high engine speeds as per typical KKK turbo.

As a correction for the boost, more PWM for the N75 was set, to keep the achieved boost as flat as possible.

This stage was done at 1.3 bar and power went from 295bhp baseline to ~ 320bhp.

With this established, we were ready to turn the boost as high as possible. Having Bill there with his experience of these engines was extremely beneficial for indicating untoward engine behaviour.

So with no knock present the boost was set to has high as 1.5 bar until back pressure started to prevent the factory exhaust valves/springs from shutting.

We got the peak power to almost 330bhp before this occurrence ( but with spark advance I was not comfortable with).

Also just before that maximum was achieved, we noticed that spark timing at say 1.3bar as approaching that of an aspirated engine at WOT .

At some 1.2 bar near the redline 29 degs of adv was dialled in. There was no knock but as I approached 32 degs of spark the knock was pretty audible to Paul 'tuffty' wearing ear defenders!!!
    So I backed it off to just a few degrees before BLD
    Bill and I agreed to turn up the boost.
    At 1.5 bar we hit surge from the F23 and the heat flux energy at 4krpm was able to choke the turbine and force the exhaust valves open. We made more torque initially at 4K rpm briefly but could not hold on to it at high rpm where the exhaust valves were being forced open, due to excessive manifold back pressure.

That was it. We could go no more and the boost was turned down to 20psi (1.3bar) and the spark backed off a bit to make the engine very safe.

The final result after development is shown comparing with the baseline.

[​IMG]

so when i got home i decided to do a compresstion test. engine only had 1000 miles from when i rebuilt it and the results were 150 150 150 120 huh ::::: so asked bill(badger5) what commpresstion should be he said 200 psi . summa was wrong i didnt want to do it but had to take head of and inspect what was going wrong. so took head off and had a quick look all looked good, few days later nattan (nut20v) came to see me and he had a look and he spotted it cly 4 (i must be blind)

[​IMG]

some hardcore gash dont know how it got there :)

so i first decided i would bore the block to 83mm then after looking on the for sale section of clubgti i saw foxyjay selling a complete bam engine 64k so i brought it.

[​IMG]

collected and stripped down in bk of the zafira :)

[​IMG]

i only really wanted the block so all other items were sold.

so bill is going kindly build my block and head. block will having ie riffle drilled rods. and head will be having cat gold valve springs with supertek exhaust valves.(this be done next week)

in mean while i kept chasing for power with stock chassis , eddie drove my car after mapping and he said its undrivable lol so i fought i take care of that and so i began sorting chassic out.

first thing was to source the bits i went for some rear polo brakes

[​IMG]

got some hand brake spacer to still use the orignal mk1 hand brake cables

[​IMG]

next was my little bargin i found on my travels on holiday in devon brand new eibach anti roll bars

[​IMG]

lower brace sent to me by mart ( vagobonds-tunning )

[​IMG]

next step was with engine out was to make the steering rack mounts stronger as im going to be using some soild rack mounts and a soild rear gearbox mount so nut20v came to the rescue with his welding skills cheers m8

after looking at gurds thread i made a plate and asked nattan to weld it

i got it all cleaned up for nut20v

[​IMG]

in action

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

next was to fit all new sterring items first was wishbones with poly inserts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

all fitted

[​IMG]

then i have a msg from the man him self beachbuggy turbo if i would like to test a new k04 hybrid. bill runs his k04 hybrid at 370bhp in the lupo. so i couldnt turn him down :)

so his new spec hybrid was sent to me

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so bk to bills roller next yr to test this new turbo with a built engine by bill. and of course eddie on the laptop :)

thats all will update

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
    Nige and nut 20v like this.
  16. peterg60 CGTI Regional Co-Host - Birmingham & Midlands

oh i forgot how could i :)

02a gearbox fully rebuild with lsd already to be slapped on :)

[​IMG]

nut 20v likes this.
  17. nut 20v

nut 20v CGTI Regional Host - Birmingham & Midlands

Won't be long now and youl be Boosting again even better than before

peterg60 likes this.
  18. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Good update, but sorry to gear about your engine woes :o

Did you find the cause ? damage on the pistons ? Foreign body or a bit broken off a valve or something ?

Having had my engine issues this year, I`m just curious. PM if you prefer.

19. peterg60 CGTI Regional Co-Host - Birmingham & Midlands

I don't know the cause only thing I can think off I did not gap the piston rings. All rings looked fine that I removed. It's a heavy gash mark. Piston all fine valves all fine

20. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

Think I will be looking into a beachbuggy turbo soon :)

[​IMG]