Mk1 race car (Ex slick 50) and Mk2 daily.

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by samfish, May 6, 2011.

1. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Not sure Mike. .it was second hand. I did look on the website and the mk2 rear box looks small. .mine is a big round one with the tailpipe kicked up to the left.

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

Not sure, but I think you might have a road system there. Can't beat a 2nd hand bargain though ;)

3. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

We all like one of them...

It looks like the competition on listed..with a cherry bomb style middle box.

4. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Starting to get ready for the Brands GP race on the 20th August.....

Bought a massive rear view mirror! You can see everything in it!

From amazon for 11.50. It clamps on tight to the existing mirror

[​IMG].

5. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Raced at Brands Hatch GP circuit today. What a race.

I am very cautious on the first lap, and spent the whole time going backwards and avoiding people spinning on oil! I had to avoid 4 separate spins in front of me at druids.... a LOAD of oil was dropped.

Just trying to upload my on board video. The first lap is a bit mad....

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

Was it wet today for the race? Weather has been pretty variable round London.

Look forward to the vid!!

7. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Nah, totally dry for the race, luckily.
    This Youtube lark takes bloody ages!.....

Alot of people where unlucky with the dropped oil. Lucky it wasn't on a fast corner. It was sending cars spinning 5 laps into the race still [:s]

8. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Here is the video... Only part 1 for now....

Don't judge too harshly from my first lap... I was trying to keep out of trouble - and it all feels very 'new' still [:s] I should have changed down a couple of times, missed a few apexes, etc etc.

Have a look at the first run through druids and how slippery it is on the oil!!!!!!
    A bit of single handed opposite lock applied. Some of the front cars lost it when they got to Graham hill, still with oil on the tyres.
    And a few more span in front of me during the race.

I Managed to get back up past the Mk3 in my class on the last lap when he makes a mistake [:D]

I am changing gear at 7000rpm, because I cant afford for it to break soon, and its pointless until I can be more consistent myself. The engine pulls like crazy after 6500rpm though!

I softened the rear to make it veer towards understeer, as I didnt feel very confident before quali and had never driven the circuit. It allowed me to feel more comfortable while getting back into the groove.

1st in class (out of two :lol:) with fastest lap.
    4th fastest race lap from the cars not running on slicks.

The 2 front running mk2 16v cars where a couple of seconds faster though. I reckon I could alot closer with some testing/experience.

[YOUTUBE]TNolkENCLxA&[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  9. G-adams

G-adams CGTI Regional Host - Bristol

Great video you have there, couple of close call I bet your heart rate rocketed at that point.

10. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Thanks.
    Yeah, a little bit. There's more to come in part two (not as many though).
    I was lucky with the oil. I avoided the druids apex all race... some others touched it mid-race and span, as you have seen.

I'm hitting over 115mph in 3 places on the circuit. With some practice (and using 3rd out of surtees instead of keeping 4th!) I could be grabbing 5th and hitting 120mph...

11. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Part 2:

[YOUTUBE]q9U38OwpFqk&[/YOUTUBE]

12. NickBishBashBosch Forum Member

Hey Sam,

Nice to meet you yesterday.

crazy race!!! loved it and the car looked good. :thumbup::clap:

forgot to ask, what camera are you using?

13. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Thanks Nick.
    yeah, good to meet you! when are you next out? Did you see there is a small picture of your car in the programme from this weekend?
    The race was fun, I just wished I had done some things differently :)

Im using the Camsport HDmax Extreme - stupid name!!!!!!
    Bought from Dogcamsports - Great company.

I had to turn the quality and resolution down to reduce file size. Its the same lens as the GoPro and Contour, but with a screen on the side of the camera. I use an Aux microphone and mount it out of the wind - I usually have the window open a bit.

14. NickBishBashBosch Forum Member

cheers Sam.

No I didn't get a program, never mind.

thought you did really well!

i reckon next on the list has to be solid top mounts. i know you mentioned that they wont fit with the leda's but i think the ones 'dclarke' has will work. i cant remember who makes them but i'll ask dunc.

check this out:

[YOUTUBE]iTfIis_ZYjk[/YOUTUBE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTfIis_ZYjk

[:^(]

15. andyneedham2 Forum Member

Looks like fantastic fun. well held on the oil! Car sounds and looks like it goes great.

16. samfish

samfish Forum Member

I need earplugs in there. It is so noisy.

That prang was a shame Nick. Unlucky. Such a shame you are selling it!! What will you race when you get back??

Next on the things to buy/do will be (in order):
    Rev limiter (not got one fitted at the moment [:$])
    JMR gear linkage
    Top mounts - Will probably leave until the winter.
    Rip out all the wiring and start again! - Winter project.

17. andyneedham2 Forum Member

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  18. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Thought I would post a picture of the brake cooling deflectors I fitted before the last race... They are not perfect. I welded two nuts onto the wishbone and bolt them on.
    I ended up capping the small end with tank tape until I can TIG a bit of Aluminium on there.
    I am still getting slightly warped discs by the end of the race, much better than before. Not sure if thats down to using re-machined discs that have already been through a heat cycle, or the deflectors.
    I cut a hole in the front splitter to get more air to the deflector.....

[​IMG]

19. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Getting ready for the VAG Trophy races at Snetterton next weekend.
    Trying to find a solution to the warping discs still. I am going to order some PAGID RS pads, but I'm unsure which compound to go for - there are loads of varieties.

I have also got a JMR shifter coming ready to fit ready for Friday practice :thumbup:

I have been thinking about ducting solutions for a while. I have decided to make my own. Originally I was going to make a complete trumpet to the caliper and started making the 'plug' to make a mould from.... but it would take too long, and I need them on the car for Friday.
    So instead I am just going to make the ducts in the front splitter. I have cut the ends off and will be making them again.

Ideally I would make the whole splitter with ducts in, and extend it lower. But the Class B regulations restrict me to changing the Silhouette.

This was Plan A - something like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is Plan B - to be used in conjunction with some ducting pipe. They are FAR from ready. The mould will then be taken from this 'male', creating a re-usable 'female'

I have made a couple of basic things from Carbon and Kevlar, so I'm excited to make something functional!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is still alot of work to do on this before I can make a mould from it [:s]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  20. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2