Mk1 race car (Ex slick 50) and Mk2 daily.

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by samfish, May 6, 2011.

1. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Thanks Chris. Yeah thought about it, but thought I could make a more elegant one... and fancied the challenge!

This is the finished plug....

[​IMG]

I then took a mould of this.... (picture missing. Will upload another time)

Then made the pieces in the female mould. EASY... NOT. It takes ages to do everything;
    Waxing the moulds 5 times for each release. Spraying the PVA release agent. Waiting for gel coats to go tacky... etc etc.

But its worth it when I can make as many of these as I want :thumbup:

[​IMG]

Pulled these off the mould this evening with the help of some compressed air. I made them with Carbon/Kevlar because it will take more impacts. Carbon is very brittle. I now need to trim and fit. The plan is to paint the front black to match the chin, but leave the weave inside the 'tunnel', just out of pride. [:$]

They are not perfect, but I can perfect them. I may have to sell a few to help pay for my investment in materials. We will see.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  2. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Sorry for the poor picture. Here is a clearer picture of the weave.

[​IMG]

It shows how important it is to make the first layer as pretty as possible if you intent to leave the weave on show... A duct is quite a complicated shape, so I am still learning that bit.
    But Its great to feel that anyone can pick up some carbon fibre and make some semi-quality parts out of it.

Eventually I plan to make a complete tunnel to the caliper. In the mean time I will use some 4 inch ducting.

3. James W

James W Motorsport Moderator

Looks very nice but why didn't you remake the whole spilter in carbon/Kevlar?

4. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Hi James.
    I wanted to but the Class B reg's say all panels and trim need to be original pieces. I have pushed them pretty far this way, but have kept the silhouette original so I am told they will be ok.

My JMR gear linkage arrived this morning after a big effort from Jason to get it done in time (big thanks again).
    First impressions are how stunning it is. Short of being made from Carbon Fibre (and costing ten times more), this is touring car quality and level of engineering.
    Really impressed.

5. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Eventful Day testing at Snett today.

1st Session involved bedding in the new MINTEX F4R pads (amazing pads! MUCH more powerful than the DS3000's but with a bit less feel. And they take alot more heat)

2nd session only lasted halfway until I tried to restart the car after a red flag stop'age.
    The Cartek solid state battery Isolator failed!!! broken. Bypassed it for the rest of the day.

3rd session went well and had fun until the driveshaft sheared from the hub.... [:^(]
    Cue a scramble for parts. 4th session missed.

Collected some new CV joints (they have been replaced before) and front wheel bearings (also replaced recently).... but I need to collect a front hub flange from Euro Car parts in Norwich at 8.15am, and fit it for 10.20 qualifying.

IF ANYONE IS GOING TO COME TO SNETTERTON ON SATURDAY AND HAS A MK1 FRONT HUB FLANGE SITTING AROUND, CAN THEY BRING IT WITH THEM PLEASE? Just in case ECP dont deliver the goods and I am stuck without a hub. I have a front wheel bearing to fit into it, but don't have a press to push the old one out. Should be able to get a new one in...
    Standard driveshafts and hub for Mk1.....

The JMR gear linkage works a treat! I am having to get used to how light it is.

Best lap time of the day was 2min 24sec, which isn't great. Four seconds off the mk2 16v front pace apparently. I can improve everywhere with a bit more running and if I had more time in the car.

SLEEEP

6. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Sleep's overated Sam!

Very best of luck with the parts & class pole for tomorrow.. ;)

7. samfish

samfish Forum Member

It was all worth it in the end.

Two class poles and two class wins.... 2nd in the Class B championship after only doing half the races [:D]
    6th overall in the first race, and 8th overall in the second. Managed to stay ahead of the Mk2's although they managed some amazing laptimes in the GTi races so suspect they where saving the tyres and efforts for then!

Some great racing over the weekend.
    I have a bit of a power/brake/chassis advantage over the mk2 16v's but I don't think it is too much... our bhp per ton could be surprisingly similar, me being 910kg after the races.
    I'll let you decide how much of an advantage I have once you have seen the on-boad videos :)

The JMR gear linkage worked great, although I am not sure I did it complete justice [:$] Not a hint of flex, or weakness in the system. I can't think of anything that would improve it!

Video's to follow in the next day or two....

8. samfish

samfish Forum Member

9. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Well done Sam.... top effort! :thumbup:... and all with only 8 valves!

Looking forward to seeing the vids...

Good pic.... nice collection of stickers on the side... [:D] ;)

How did the brakes work out?

10. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Thanks Jason! I have a picture of your linkage too :thumbup:
    I left the video memory card in Essex, so video may have to wait until the end of the week...

Brakes where stunning with the new pads. Still getting VERY hot, but no bother to them. Not much modulation, but very powerful.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  11. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Oh that o'll thing! :lol:... good to hear it worked as we both expected... I expect to see you slamming through the gears in full "product test mode"!

There are some front top mounts coming soon to improve damper travel... I've had a crude version on mine for years... but the new ones will have spherical bearings to go with the extra height for more travel, and be either fixed or adjustable for more castor.

I'll have a proper look at the regs, but are you allowed rose jointed/tubular lower arms?

Good show... may try some on the hillclimber. What size discs do you run/are allowed to run?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  12. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Nice work Sam.

With regards to driveshafts, what are you using? I find the standard mk1 gti short shaft is too long and contributes to inner cv joint failures. A late cabby/scirocco short shaft is shorter and helps fix the problem.

Also, how did you find disc wear using the new pads compared to the DS3000's?

Gurds.

13. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Look forward to seeing some top mounts. The more drop the better :thumbup:

No fancy wishbones in Class B I'm afraid. I would love to have the money to throw at the car and compete in Class A.....
    Im using the normal G60 280mm set-up. 'Epytek' adaptors from Germany - Very good quality.

14. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Thanks Gurds.
    Im using the standard driveshafts. All well maintained and checked after every race. All new bits recently put on. Thats some good information, thank you. I take it the '100mm' driveshafts have a stronger hub too?

I think the disc wear is around the same as the DS3000 I rekon, but I never got much use out of the discs with the 3000's as they always needed skimming.

Here is the picture of the discs with some of the Ferodo pads deposited on them... see the orange tinge to the braking surface in places.
    [​IMG]

I think the DS3000's are great pads, with lots of pedal feel, but for whatever reason I didnt get on with them with this set-up.
    The Mintex bite soooo much harder too. The pedal actually feels like a modern car.

15. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Im trying to get them sorted next...You'll be able to run a lower ride height then, and still have travel.

Pity about the bottom arms. Is it just std arms you have to use or just no rose joints allowed?

Interesting re the discs... I used the same front discs for 6 seasons of hills & sprints. .52 events, plus road and two coombe trackdays..only now need replacing. Wore out a set of ds3000's every season so they were being used. Discs are G60 Corrado 280's turned down to 270 to fit inside the p-slots...Lucas girling discs.

16. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Wishbones and everything have to be standard completely. The DS3000 pads did 3 races (with quali) and a test day before they where toast. Still material on there, but otherwise finished.

17. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Here is Race 1:
    Missed many of the Apex's, but had a good battle with Ian Fowler and Lewis Hopkins (who must have been holding back by around 3+ seconds per lap)

[YOUTUBE]dmfls5-JbVw[/YOUTUBE]

Here is the Race 2 from Sunday.
    I was trying a bit too hard in at the start and ran wide on turn 3. Actually, this weekend was the first time I have put 4 wheels off a circuit, so it was interesting to see what the grip levels where like - It varies greatly!

I was having to defend quite alot of the race, which would explain my strange lines and mistakes :lol:

[YOUTUBE]YIOyvQ3tqDo[/YOUTUBE]

The car is set-up to be very stable at the moment. I am sure I could go faster if I made the rear a bit more loose, but then I am still learning. I stiffened the rear for the 2nd race by a fraction, and it helped...

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  18. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Looking good Sam!... including the rallycrossing ! :thumbup:

19. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Not sure why it has the distortion.... I'll upload it again! Race 1 uploaded by the morning - Distortion-free.
    EDIT - DISTORTION SORTED

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  20. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

Can you stitch weld standard ones or literally 'as they left the factory'? Assume you use Genuine VW ones if that is the case, noticed they were new earlier in the thread.