MK1 Racer (ALL BROKEN PHOTOBUCKET PICS FIXED) - Painted and out of the bodyshop....

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by 16valver, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Dub20vt Forum Member

what rev counter do you have in the mk1?

car looks awesome, liking the progress... is it a safe method rolling a shell onto a matress? will it cause any panel damage? need to get the underside of my mk2 stripped at some point but wasn't sure what was the best way to get underneath it.

2. 16valver Forum Member

It is an Elliot rev counter with a tell tale function. It was mounted at the side of the dash but now I think im going to mount it along with the other gauges in sheet aluminium.

I was not sure about rolling the car over at first but after seeing Infinity's just decided to try it! The shell is pretty light as it stands, I can lift it up on my own and as the cage is welded in I think it should be ok going on its side, it hasn't marked any panels and I have rolled it over about four or five times now as it goes inside every night.

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

I thought the 'before' pics looked pretty tidy! You've gotta love a hot Mk1 build. Sounds like it should be making more power with a valver on carbs - 1.8 or 2.0 - I think I remember seeing Ricky Gauld racing Imps/Davrians in the 70's at Ingliston... legend!

I'd have thought as an Aiberdonian you'd have been using something cheaper than gaffer tape to mark up the parts though ;)

Do you really want to remove the heater? You might change your mind the first time the windows steam up when you're flat out.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Fantastic work and definitely seam welding all right!

Was the spare wheel well in when bought - I can't recall..

Might be worth some close up pics of the rear arches, with the way they've been 'tubbed' out.

Nice to see you've got the beers on!

5. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

cracking job - do you know thwe origins of your engine ? not often you see a dry sumped 16V......

6. 16valver Forum Member

Its a ex Velos motorsport car and I assume they built the engine and sourced the dry sump. It aparantly belongd to 'Pete Bardon' some time ago, who won a championship with it at one stage but I really have very little info on its history or info on the engine. I think it has obviously spent most of its life as a competition car as it has a scruiteneering sticker from 1991 iirc.

The engine is said to have been blueprinted and has had internal work, but as I have not opened it up, obviously I cant really say for sure. I do know that it feels completely different to the kr I had before in my mk2 which was no slouch, and this has power all the way to 7.8k rpm even though it still is not running quite as it should.

Chris, I forgot to check the details on that scruiteneering pass - I will try and pass them on soon.

7. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

velos as in burton on trent ?

8. 16valver Forum Member

Yes, do you know anything about them?

9. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I recall Adam mentioning the car originated from that area and 2 names being mentioned: Velos & another business name, which were in the same location - I'm going to put a call thru to him later about unrelated things, so will ask.

10. 16valver Forum Member

Thanks Chris.

Would be interested to hear any more info on the car's history.

11. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

velos do some really good stuff - a chap I know who is class 3a lap record holder at curborough with a savegely fast 1.4 nova has a velos engine

12. 16valver Forum Member

Well thats nice to hear, hopefully they did as good a job with this one - if only I could get the thing to run right!

I think the problem is with the carbs, will be spending a bit of time on them and see if I can make a difference.

Do you know if Velos are still on the go? I cant seem to find any contact details for them, and I would like to speak to them and see if I can get some more info on the engine spec. Possibly trading under a different name now?

13. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Velos Motorsport, Burton-On-Trent, 01283 542484

Unit 2 The Old Forge,
    Chapel Lane,
    Anslow,
    Burton on Trent,
    Staffordshire.
    DE13 9QA.

14. 16valver Forum Member

Thanks Rob, will call on Monday.

After checking the weather yesterday I decided to take today off uni as it was to be sunny today and pish for the rest of the wkend.

My mate Aaron came down to make a start on the welding and after a few problems with welders we got quite a lot done. We had the car outside at first and Aaron tried to TIG weld the car but it was not working very well because of wind and the welds burned holes too easily.

We then decided to try and see if we could roll the car inside the garage. I knew there would physically be enough space for it to sit on its side, but wasn't sure we would have the space to flip it. It went fine and made welding easier as we didnt have wind to worry about.

Aaron's MIG wouldnt feed the wire properly so we abandoned that and hired another MIG. Here are the pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Big thanks to Aaron! [:*:]

[​IMG]

Pretty pleased as this is the first time we've tried seam welding a car, but Aaron is pretty handy with the welders so knew it would'nt be much of a problem. Aaron still is not happy with some of the welds and some need to be tidyed up a little with the grinder and re done, but they look pretty good to me! [:D]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  15. 16valver Forum Member

Oh, this was in the driveway the other day, be rude not to take a few pics as the camera was out anyway...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sounds nice with the new Millteks! Nots ours unfortunately [:^(]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  16. Dub20vt Forum Member

wow i'd love workshop space like that lol.

car seems to be progressing well!

mmmm dribble.. nice audi!

17. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

That V8 with Milteks... droool!
    Mk1 looks like it's coming along nicely.

18. jamesa Forum Junkie

Visited 16valver this morning, seeing it `in the flesh` gave an even greater appreciation of the task .... again, well done and keep it up !

No RS4 so we had to be content with my old ;) valver ...

19. 16valver Forum Member

Purely from a driving thrills perspective, on tight and bumpy back roads, I know which one I would prefer to be driving! :)

Thanks v much for the shot, felt like a very sorted quick mk2. [:D]

20. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Nice work on the welding there - it all looks pretty neat from the pics.

I'm always mystified what those box shaped brackets are for on the chassis rails, behind the rear wheels. Now's the time to have them off ;)

Also if the MIG's still around, maybe stitch the steering rack mounts - if you ever have trouble with the steering wheel centering moving around, this'll help, as will cross linking some tubing between them. More details if you need it, but IV mk1 16V did this on his.

Yet to speak to Adam, so no update as yet.