Mk2 1.8 8v to 2l 8v

Discussion in '8-valve' started by nayhorn, Jun 6, 2011.

1. nayhorn Forum Member

Evening,

after being away from the Volkswagen community for a while I decided it was time to do something with my old mk2 gti.

A friend of mine had told me he was breaking a mk3 golf gti 8v, so I said I'd take the engine and wiring loom off him to put into my mk2. I spent the weekend removing the old broken 1.8 engine. And putting in the mk3 lump.

The car is a H reg mk2 so I believe the engine code for that is PF?

The new engine I have installed is from an R reg so I believe the engine code to be AGG?

I have installed the engine but not the wiring loom, and as expected I have noticed that there are some differences between the two looms.

I have been searching high and low and found a lot of information that has helped me get to this point.

Am I going to need to install the mk3 loom or can I get away with using the mk2 wiring?
    Is there anything else that I will need?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks, Nathan.:thumbup:

2. Wilmal Forum Member

To put that engine in the mk2 you can get away with pretty much just the block. No wiring loom necessary. People say the mk2 head flows better than the mk3 one so you might want to stick with the mk2 head too.

Check out the sticky threads in this 8v section, there's a lot about the 2.0 litre 8 valve conversions.

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

I'd steer clear of the whole Mk3 management. It's designed to meet emissions requirements that your car doesn't have to hit, but if you want to, I'm sure you could make it work, and you might get some benefits in fuel economy (which is handy in this day and age), especially if you fit the Mk3 gearbox, with its longer ratios.

You'll need the loom and all the sensors (inc lambda sensor) from the Mk3 to make it work properly, although it would run without the lambda I think, just not as economically.

If your car is a CE2 (hazard switch on the steering column), then the Mk3 engine loom should plug into your fuse box.

RubJonny would be the man to flesh out the details on what else you need to do.

Your current engine code should be PB, rather than PF.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if you dont want to change your loom, fit your old head to it and swap over all the mk2 bits, plus change te dizzy for a 2E code one. i would change the front flange for a new MK3 GTI one if it only has 1 sensor hole, but keep all the mk3 water pipework and alternator setup. (oe mk3 gti flanges usually only havwe 1 hole, and you need 2 for pb management, new flanges will come with 2 holes)

you wont get the AGG running as is without a hefty amount of effort as you'll need to swap the inlet, isv & piping for a 2e one, swap mk2 airbox and afm plus the dizzy as well. then have to figure out how to add idle and full throttle switches to the mk3 tb.

if you fit the whole loom and ecu it will be mostly plug and play but there are a fair few differences, if its a later one the lighting loom will all be with the engine too so that'll need stripping out. ideally fit a lambda but it will run without.

5. nayhorn Forum Member

Thanks for the help,

the problem with the old engine is that the head is shot, one of the head bolts has rounded off too, and the engine was showing signs of wear on the rings i think.

i have swapped the sensors over so i have two sensors plugged into the mk2 loom currently.

From reading your replies i think my options are

drill off the old head and rebuild, then build back up with the mk2 TB, injectors and dizzy from a 2e.

or

Buy a new head then build up as above.

I shal post up any more problems i come accross.

Thanks for the help, i shal have a think and let you know what route i go down.

(p.s. if anyone has a spare PB head they want to get rid of then drop me a PM please)

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

I will have a PB head spare, but it's currently in use and I need to rebuild the replacement engine first... it'll be a few weeks.

If your old engine is using a lot of oil, it's pretty likely that the head needs new valve guides as well. You could try knocking a larger size 6 point spline bit into the rounded stud, if you have one.. Sometimes that can work.

How much of the Mk3 stuff did you get? You really need just about everything from the engine bay, just about, plus the loom, to transplant all the Mk3 stuff as a kit.

7. nayhorn Forum Member

Thanks again for the reply. I will have a go at extracting the head at some point this week hopefully.

If that fails then il have have to get searching for a new head. (or wait till mike has built his new engine ). At least I now know where I'm going now with it.

I have pretty much everything that was under the bonnet from the mk3 bar a few bits of plastic. But I'd rather not swap the wiring looms if I can help it as I'm not too confident at doing that.

Thanks, Nathan.

8. Mike_H Forum Addict

Swapping looms is fiddly and a bit tricky, rather than horribly complicated...

If you look at the back of your fuse box, there's a slide-out tab on it (I think - there is on Mk3 ones anyway) and you basically unplug the plug for the engine loom. There are probably a few other wires that you'll have to unplug to get the loom out, and then the Mk3 engine loom should go in the same slot.

However, you might need to take the servo out to get the loom out and in around it, as it's in the way.

If I was doing it, I'd connect it all up (the wiring diagrams and RubJonny's fusebox FAQ should help) and get the car running, and after that it should be easy to figure out which are the wiring bits that you can chop out, but I'd get the car running and tested before you start chopping things out.

9. nayhorn Forum Member

I think the mk3 loom is going to be my last resort. I'm going to try and get the head off and rebuild it.

I'm in no real rush to get it done so il see how the head rebuilding goes. Will be good experience too.

Once I've re-built the head and assembled it and the mk2 injectors and throttle body, and the 2e dizzy, is there anything else to do? Any sensors on the mk2 that aren't on the mk3 or vice versa?

10. rubjonny

just the bits i have mentioned really, repalce flange so you can fit both the mk2 sensors, fit 2e dizzy and thats about it on the actual block

11. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

I know a guy with a very nice ported MK3 head and both manifolds (ported as well) for sale if that's any use.

12. nayhorn Forum Member

Had you said mk2 I would have been interested....

Thanks anyway.

Nathan.

13. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

No sweat... just thought you were going to run the MK3 inlet set-up... modded heads based on that are few and far between and this is a nice one.

14. nayhorn Forum Member

Managed to remove the head from my mk2 lump today. So I shal set about rebuilding that when I get a chance.

The other problem I have is that the mk3 engine has an aircon pump on it.

So from doing my research Ive discovered I get a new pulley for the water pump and run a non aircon auxiliary belt around the bottom pulley, the water pump and the alternator.

Then leave the power steering pump running from the bottom pulley via the small v-belt.
    Is this the code for the v-belt that I need? (037 145 271).

Is this the pulley i replace my water pump pulley for to accept the auxiliary belt? (028 121 031)

Thanks. Nathan.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  15. rubjonny

Yep you got it, alt belt depends on the year of engine as2 lengths available. Check out http://vwspares.co.uk

16. nayhorn Forum Member

Can anyone tell me what engine the water pump pulley i need is off? And also does anyone know if (028 121 031) this part number is a dealer one or a motor factor?

Thanks

Nathan

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  17. rubjonny

any non-ac mk3 golf 1.8-2.0 8v or 16v. 1.6 and vr6 ones i think work too. thats a vw part number, you want 028 121 031 K for the non-ac pulley

18. nayhorn Forum Member

Could anyone tell me what cam belt i would need? would i get the ones for the mk2 or mk3?

Thanks

Nathan

19. rubjonny

20. nayhorn Forum Member

Thanks for that :)

Nathan