MK2 Golf GT TDi Conversion 6 speed PD, Dash and Wiring

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Mjj4, Jan 9, 2013.

1. rickyb New Member

im loving this i did think of this conversion for mine but i just dont have the time or the patiants etc

2. Mjj4 Forum Member

Yeah i was planning on doing mine on my drive but luckily i have some unit space that i rent. Hopefully allow me to get on quicker (rent is the downside to a unit!).

I will start cracking on with the dash soon as i think im nearly done in the engine bay, so hope it is as easy as you say haha!

Thanks for the link! Will come in handy for sure, i need to improve my search skills!

Thanks ricky, i have a bit of patience at the moment but i have a long way to go and i'm sure it will get stressful and i'll say i'll never do it again haha! Glad you're all along for the ride!!

3. Mjj4 Forum Member

Bit of an update in the engine bay and the interior.

Thought i'd get as much of the engine bay out as possible so it's off my list and i can crack on with the interior and other jobs.

I removed the steel brake lines and the drivers abs sensor wiring, i managed to get the stubborn driveshaft out with some brute force and popeye spinach, removed the wiper linkage, ecu/siren assembly and the wiring loom from in the scuttle panel. I also dropped the subframe and removed the steering rack. I wasn't planning on using it but will keep it just incase! (UJ length and steering column length etc...)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I like this idea and want to graft it into the mk2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then i stripped the seats out so i could make a start on the dash
    [​IMG]

I removed the armrest and the back part of the centre console, then removed the handbrake. I'm going to try and use the mk4 bracket that holds the handbrake and armrest and weld it into the mk2
    [​IMG]

Then i was left with the dash, so first off was the steering wheel
    [​IMG]

Wow how fiddly and annoying until you see how the airbag clips work!!
    [​IMG]

Steering wheel off
    [​IMG]

Then i removed the steering column and wiring to the stalks, i left the stalks attached to the column because i don't know how they come off! I will worry about that when fitting a cruise stalk.
    [​IMG]

Dash removed! Remember to remove the sunlight sensor by prying it out as in the pic, this took me ages to work out whilst trying to unclip it from underneath!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then removed the dash support bar
    [​IMG]

And heres some of the wiring that im going to have to organise!
    [​IMG]

So thats basically where i'm up to, i have removed the wiring out of both front doors and started removing it down the sides to the rear. Does anyone have any idea how to fool the airbag system so it doesnt throw up a fault without seat airbags? Is it with resistors or can they be cancelled in vagcom? Also im going from a 5 door mk4 to a 3 door mk2 can i just leave the rear door looms out or will this upset the central locking as it wont know the rear doors are shut? will i have to bridge wires so it thinks the rear doors are always shut? Only other thing i can think is find a convienience module off of a 3 door golf if theyre any different?

4. Mjj4 Forum Member

Right quick update, not much of one but I popped down the unit yesterday mainly to take the two o/s doors off to sell them. So I stripped all the looms out and door modules out and now they’re gone I have a bit more room.
    [​IMG]

Leaving me with easy access
    [​IMG]

As you can see the inside it a mess with bits of trim, need to wrap and box all these bits up safely so they don’t get damaged.
    [​IMG]

I removed the wiring loom from the o/s, only had to do the fuel pump, fuel cap and rear abs sensor and that allowed me to move the whole loom over to the passenger foot well.
    [​IMG]

Now that there is no wiring down the o/s I can get the climate control/heater box out and then pull the loom through the bulkhead and remove all the n/s from the rear abs sensor, rear lighting loom and tailgate.

These pics are for my own reference, just don’t want to forget where the heater connections go so numbered them all and will label them in accordance with the numbers. Not very exciting sorry!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And that’s how I left it for now, will be back down there soon with more exciting updates! Not long now until I can scrap this and get the mk2 in and start the exciting (I won’t be saying that in a few weeks!) work!!

5. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Massive amount of work doing this, I hope you stick with it and don`t get disillusioned.:thumbup:

6. Mjj4 Forum Member

Yeah I've started to realise how mug work its going to be. I have zero knowledge of Can-Bus systems
    And with the golf being 2003 it runs some degree of Can-Bus unlike some of the older mk4s. i am worried about a trying to get the convenience module working with central locking, alarm, windows and running airbags with no seat airbags. Along with all the work getting the dash fitting properly and making everything fit and work as it should! I've never seen a pd tdi with the dash and whole loom and have only seen a couple of Pd tdi conversions that have actually been finished. Does worry me a little but also makes me more determined to do it. Just hope I have the skills to do it! Will keep you all updated as I go along but
    I'm determined to build a mk2 to replace my mk4!

7. rickyb New Member

i have faith in you buddy. Theres always a first person todo every thing and your going tobe the first person to do this convirsion, just keep cool and face one job at a time, if you keep looking at how much is left todo itl dis harten you but if you just crack on one job at a time youl be right. keep at it buddy
    rick

8. Kav1187 Forum Member

That's some good progress mate!

Will you not be putting the mk4 seats into the car? You'll need to do the resistor trick on the airbags and also cancel them in Vag Com. I cancelled mine in VAG COM but I didn't have the resistors so they still threw up the error message.

I desperately need to update my syncro build thread. Do you find it takes forever to write the updates?

9. Mjj4 Forum Member

Thanks, i'm getting there almost ready for mr scrap man but this is the easy part!!

No i have a set of Mk3 Recaros that i want to get re-trimmed with mk4 heated elements but they don't have airbags. Thanks for the heads up on the vagcom/resistors. I guess i will have to leave the whole seat airbag loom in tact with the yellow box (ignitor or something) and just leave it up by the airbag module.

Yeah you do, i've been keeping an eye on it, can't subscribe as i haven't had approval from a moderator to join yet :thumbd:. Yeah it does take a while, trying to sort out which photos to use, uploading them, getting all the links and writing everything you need to takes a lot longer than you think it will! I'm hoping for a massive update on the syncro??

Heres my progress from friday afternoon,

I started by removing the pedals, i took some photos with my trusty stanley up against the pedals for my reference on where they should sit in the mk2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then after spending ages mucking around trying to get the brake servo ball out of the brake pedal, i was left with an empty drivers footwell and an almost empty engine bay!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Airbag module and the direction i need to mount it
    [​IMG]

I must not forget to put in an air con drain!!!
    [​IMG]

Does any body know what this is for? its an earth cable at the top of the A pillar but isnt terminated to everything? Im guessing its something to do with remote central locking aerial?
    [​IMG]

Then i took the 4 bolts out that hold the climate/heaterbox in and out she came easy peasy!
    [​IMG]

Heres most of the trim bits i need to wrap and box up safe for a fair while!
    [​IMG]

I took the whole loom out of the car and laid it out pretty much how it should look, theres a fair old bit of it! Hope it fits in my lounge for tidying up!!
    [​IMG]

Heres the inside of the car now, needs a tidy but its getting emptier and emptier.
    [​IMG]

I have made a start on cutting bits of the car out that i might need either to weld into the mk2 or just as templates.
    N/S/F ABS and brake line hole
    [​IMG]

O/S/F ABS and brake line hole
    [​IMG]

Airbox mount
    [​IMG]

Some of the bits i cut off the car i probably wont use but it's worth cutting them off while i have the car, rather than scrap it and realise i need them!
    Sorry its not the most exciting update, a lot of the pics are for future reference for me. It will get more exciting when the real work starts!

10. Vdub_Matt Forum Member

looking like a sweet job i will want try do something along these lines when my mk2 is built will be a nice project.

11. Mjj4 Forum Member

Quick update, the boring stripping part is almost done!!

I started by dropping the rear beam so i could get the exhaust and fuel tank out
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I removed the rear calipers as i will need them, and updated my ABS pump diagram
    [​IMG]

I then cut out the fuel cap actuator so i didnt have to buthcer it from inside
    [​IMG]

After that i got onto the home straight, cutting out any brackets/mounts i might need

Front centre console
    [​IMG]
    Rear centre console
    [​IMG]
    O/S/F suspension turret for something
    [​IMG]

I made up some boxes that my mate kindly donated me from his house move and wrapped/boxed up all the interior parts and wiring loom. Just got the dash to wrap up and then onto the engine parts.
    [​IMG]

Only jobs left to do on the Mk4 before it can go to mr scrap man is:

Remove rear wiper motor
    Remove rear light
    Cut out chassis leg mounts and any last engine bay mounts
    Get that stupid glued in bulkhead out!!!

Then off she can go ASAP so the Mk2 can move in!!

12. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Hello... This all looks very familiar :-)

Hope you stick at it, if you have any questions just ask... My project used every thing from the donor car, don't forget to take the front bulkhead out of the mk4 golf shell, you'll need parts of it to mount the pedals... It sounds drastic but to get it out the best way is to burn/set fire to the sealant holding it in after you have removed the bolts, it should push out once it's got good and hot... You probably find you will have to lower the brake servo in the shell to make the pedals the correct height... Just check my build thread it's all there...

Good luck
    Philip (PAB)

13. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

This looks like it could be a very clever transformation of a mk2. In no way being negative, but looking at the size of the heater box etc do you think all this will fit in a mk2? I know fitting a mk4 dash would ease this issue to a degree?

Will be keeping a close watch on this build.

14. Mjj4 Forum Member

Hi Phil, it's weird how my ideas are ever so similar to yours considering i was only pointed in the direction of your thread thanks to pricey on this thread. I have almost read the whole of your thread and you can looks unbelievable, OEM+ at its best!! My ideas are very similar apart from the chassis leg mounts, my welding experience consists of about 5 minutes of welding (still on my first disposable bottle!!) and don't trust myself strengthening the chassis legs. I also hated doing the cambelt on my mk4 so was going to mount the engine to the subframe, my only issue is vibration. Mk4 mounts are a far better design than mk2 mounts and i dont want to be shaken to death inside!

I'm sure you will be a great help to me, mainly regarding how you went from a 5 door leon loom to 3 door mk2 shell, i am in the same situation and worried about the car always thinking the rear doors are open etc... would a 3 door convenience module make any difference or are they the same as 5 door? and how you got your central locking and windows to work seems magical to me as i have no idea how you made mk4 electric door modules work on a mk2!!

I am going to take the bulkhead out its just being very stubborn! i may resort to cutting it out if the blow torch fails to work.
    I hope i stick at it, i'm looking at purchasing a spit shortly after i get the mk2 in the unit, and funnily enough right next door to me is a bodyshop. Just hope its not too expensive to paint a bare shell!

Thanks for the good luck, i think i will need it! Don't think i can do it in 10 months though im not a superhero like you!

Thanks, yeah the heater box should be a relatively easy fit due to fitting the mk4 dash, the bigger issue is once the dash support is welded in i dont think theres any access for the heater matrix to come out!

15. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Not quite the first.

The air inlet hole and heater matrix pipes hole on a mk4 golf are in the exact same place in relationship with each other as the mk2 golf, once the aircon holes and extra fixing point hole is made in the bulkhead it's a very easy fit, it's not really very much larger than the mk2 unit. It'll go in no probs.

http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?196688-The-difficult-third-project-BVF-Best-Golf-Winner/page2
    Check the pics in post 47 & 52

Mjj4
    Don't worry about the bulkhead just get it hot, it'll fall out with a push. Check the photo in post 18 below.
    http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?196688-The-difficult-third-project-BVF-Best-Golf-Winner

The rear door wiring is easy, the door switches are part of the door locks and are a "normally open" switch, this means that you do not need to plug in the rear door looms to the main loom, just leave them out.

I'll cover the rest of the wiring when you get to that point.

I went with the mk4 mounts due to the 02m six speed and the need to have no front engine mount to allow extra space for the mk4 size rad, aircon condenser and massive intercooler...

Keep at it

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  16. priceygti Forum Member

well i must say i really need to keep on top of this thread mate your steaming ahead with progress i wish i had the effort to crack on atm with mine :(

glad to see your nearly ready to get the mk2 in and start pulling her apart thats your next big step forward in my opinion the wiring is covered very well on CGTI and many other forums so i am sure you will get past those stages quickly with very little trouble.

lookign forward to seeing more progress buddy all the best

17. Mjj4 Forum Member

I am getting on quicker than i thought but this is the easy bit! I would never have gotten this much done if i didn't have the unit, i've only ever done simple engine conversions on my drive/garage and i know how hard it is to get motivated! Yeah can't wait to get the mk2 in. Need to sort my attic out, its full of mk2 stuff that i will no longer need. Want to keep all the mk4 and mk2 bits nice, safe and organised! Organisation is going to be key in this project. That and money for bits i need.

Yeah wiring is a long way off, need to get everything test fitted so i can sort something out bodywork wise :)

Thanks for the info about the door wiring, that makes life a lot easier when i get to that stage! I tried heating the bulkhead but obviously didnt give it enough time, will try later today. Need to get the last few bits done so i can try and get rid of the shell.

Yeah the mk4 mounts are far more advanced too i just don't feel brave enough doing it. I've kept the chassis leg mounts incase i man up any time soon!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  18. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

don't let the wiring or electrics put you off, the mk4 wiring fits nicely into the mk2 shell. my first one was in 2004? the TDI is a nice lump in there. you can get everything fitted in the shell. MPG shoots up as well

this is another build I'll be following

19. Mjj4 Forum Member

Thanks for the positive comment :) i will stop worrying then! I hope it is, i have heard people saying they hated PD mk2s because they are noisy, vibrate a lot, don't feel fast and the first 2 gears will be very short due to the fact im probably going to run 195/45/15's which is 12% smaller than the stock mk4 tyre. Hope i can calibrate the speedo somehow so it's accurate!

I will read through your mk1 tdi build later on :)

Small update from yesterday evening.

Went down the unit determined to get the last few bits off of the golf so it is completely ready for scrap heaven.

I started by torching the bulkhead under PABs reassurance that it would work and after about 10 minutes of inhaling the nice fumes it finally came out!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This pic is solely to remind me how the brake lines were positioned for the rear[​IMG]

I cut out the remaining bits i might use from the engine bay
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Leaving me with a nice empty bay and a nice pile of steel
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then this happened!!
    [​IMG]

The mk2 has moved in!! Work won't start on it until i have boxed all the mk4 engine bits up and dash, then i need to sort my loft out so i can store all of the mk2 bits safely once its completely stripped!!

Does anyone know if it matters about me changing the engine number on the mk2 after the mk4 shell has been scrapped? Or do i have to change the engine number on the log book now and then scrap the mk4 shell?

The exciting stuff is getting closer!!

20. priceygti Forum Member

good work last night mate, nice to see the mk2 rolled in for reconstruction