MK2 Golf GT TDi Conversion 6 speed PD, Dash and Wiring

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Mjj4, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Mjj4 Forum Member

Thanks mate, i'm well please shes in the unit now, she has no idea whats about to happen to her! Was nice driving her for the last time in a long time! Got to get out of bed now and finish sorting my loft out and then start boxing up all the mk4 stuff that you can see in the picture (bar the actual engine) then i can make a start stripping and storing the mk2 stuff! Cleaning, boxing and organising is the worst bit and i'm not very motivated but as soon as the units cleared out then the mk2 work will begin.

2. savintheuk Forum Member

Good luck, looks a very promising project. If there's one little piece of advice I have it's to take one task at a time, if you get bogged down thinking about the whole of the project it can be overwhelming.

Oh and "wear sunscreen"!!!!! ;)

3. Mjj4 Forum Member

Thanks for the kind words :) I am going to put my whiteboard on the wall (when i get round to it!) and make a list of each job so i can cross them off when completed to make the long journey seem like i am getting somewhere! I haven't done anything for a few days as i can't strip the mk2 til all the mk4 stuff (bar the engine) is wrapped and boxed up and stored somewhere. Finding somewhere to store most of a mk4 and most of a mk2 is challenging! Hopefully il have most of the stuff boxed up tonight so the mk2 strip can start the end of the week!

I will wear sunscreen but i think i'm being stupid as i am completely missing the joke :thumbd:[8(]

4. nickg123 New Member

Hey MJ - thought I was a member of this forum although it's been years since I logged in lol

Loving the work you've done so far mate and really can't wait to see it all finished and up and running as a proper OEM Mk2 GT TDi!

You know I'll be there helping wet sand all the orange peel away once it's all painted, I'm actually looking forward to doing that although I know it will be a while yet but I think we could get it just about perfect as working on a bare shell without all the rubber strips, handles and plastic arches in the way will make it really easy... Plus when it goes into the bodyshop we can make sure they get plenty of lacquer on there so we can have far more to play with.

For everyone else reading I've seen a lot of MJ's work first hand and I know he won't give up on this until it's perfect, he's selling himself short when saying he's not sure if he has the skills to do this, I know 100% that he does and will always find a workable solution to any problem he faces on the car - Including what will no doubt be a few irritating rattles and squeaks from the dash once it's in :thumbup:

Speak to you soon mate, but keep the updates coming!!

5. Mjj4 Forum Member

Thanks mate i can't wait to get stuck in, it will be a while til we get the the paint stage, i need to get saving!! I'm glad you think i have the skills because i'm not so sure at the moment!! Don't start with rattles haha lol you know me too well.

Sorry I haven't updated this in ages! I spent the weekend in london as it was the girlfriends birthday on tuesday, so I haven't had any time to get down the unit, I have almost boxed and stored all the mk4 bits so I am very close to start stripping the mk2, hopefully get down there one day this weekend :thumbup:

Here are a few unexciting pictures, i am almost just left with the engine so i have space to put the mk2 engine and engine bay parts.
    [​IMG]
    And i finally managed to get myself a mk3 golf tdi fuel tank :) Bit dusty and after doing 225k miles i'm sure it will carry on to do another million miles!
    [​IMG]
    Big filler neck :thumbup:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  6. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

Hahaha "bigger filler neck" that really could have been a school boy error :)

7. Mjj4 Forum Member

Yeah all that hard work then get to the petrol station and can't fill it up, not the best look!!

Anyway UPDATE TIME!!!

Where do i start?!

Well the Mk4 has been picked up by a scrap company (name isn't written on the side of the truck ;) ) and their motto is; any car, any place, any time. I can't complain because they mean what they say (unlike most companies i contacted!) and they paid me for the pleasure too!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So finally the shell is gone and out of the way happy days, feels like a big step although its not!

So i made a start on the mk2, I loosened the hub nuts first to save me the hassle i had with the mk4 and good job too as they were very tight! It also took about 10 minutes of kicking the wheel to get it off even though the tyres were new 1000 miles ago! needless to say i didnt bother removing the passenger wheel!!

So i took the front end apart, checked in both chassis legs and found;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    No rust :)

Then undid all the water pipes, wiring and exhaust downpipe, hooked her up to the hoist and out she comes!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The conversion has been done well with a mk2 1.8 16v downpipe rather than the mk3 downpipe, the p/o must have spent a fair bit on the golf, it has braided front lines which will hopefully clean up nicely, and my g60 hubs have ABS holes which im over the moon about!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also for the conversion i plan to use the fabia vrs driveshaft method, which means i will need 4mm washers so i can tighten the hub nuts up. Well guess what, this golf doesn't have standard hub nuts, it has hub nuts with washers behind and i havent measured them yet but they look about 4mm!
    [​IMG]

Few more pics,

Bottom of both wings look solid,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Theres a fair bit of surface rust around, especially on the chassis legs, not sure the best way to treat this and make sure it doesn't return but i'm no expert with rust so will read up on best ways to deal with it, any suggestions welcome :)
    [​IMG]

Corrado rad and fans are very shallow compared to the mk4 unit and will be using these
    [​IMG]

Both engines sat in the corner
    [​IMG]

Am heading back down the unit now so will try get another update tonight/tomorrow!

8. priceygti Forum Member

progressing well buddy it helps you can work on into the night at this time of the year

as for the rust just use a wire wheel on an angle grinder and clean the effected area's then us an etch primer to seal them until you have the bay painted

9. Joe16v Forum Member

I prefer to grind it off. then use some sort of de rusting stuff like bilthamber. Then just high build 2k and sand.

10. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

I have started to use these http://www.tooled-up.com/subcat/angle-grinder-flap-abrasive-discs/572/ they are really good and are the perfect half way house between a disk and a wire cup. You can actually be quite gentle with them.

11. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Wow, what a thread. I hadn't noticed this before. Good project.

12. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

This is coming along very nice. Just a quick question, what air box were you using with your ABF and will you be using it with the next engine?

13. Mjj4 Forum Member

Thanks, long way to go from here! This ABF had a ram air induction kit when i bought it but i sold it for cash + standard airbox that has been cut down. On my previous mk2 that i ABF'd i cut the standard airbox down, made an ally plate that fit perfectly where i had cut the side off and left around 8 tabs so i could screw it to the airbox. i used self drilling screws (not self tappers, the ones with a drill end on them). I sealed it with black silicone sealant and sprayed it black then cut the middle section out of the air filter until it fit. Not the most ideal solution compard to the seat toledo ABF airbox (i think thats the one) but it was free and worked perfectly, better than heatsoak from a cheapo induction kit.

Heres a pic of my mk2 i ABF'd you can see the airbox just looks factory.
    [​IMG]

Thanks everyone, and TSR 2.1 thanks for the link they look like a good place to start and i can always go heavier duty if i have to (i hope i dont have too!!).

Well i spent some time down the unit last night and started clearing the engine bay
    [​IMG]

Removed the battery and found the tray is nice and solid just has a misterious dent
    [​IMG]

After removing most of the bits in the engine bay i wanted to pull the loom out so i moved inside and took the dash out
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I want to get the door plunger switches to work with the mk4 wiring from the door modules, i'm guessing the mk2 design is there is a live wire to the interior light and when you open the door the plunger releases and the earth makes a connection completing the circuit and lighting up the interior light. I need to find a way to get the mk4 central locking to work with mk2 door locks and i dont want it locking itself after 30 seconds because it doesn't realise the door(s) have been opened.
    [​IMG]

A photo for my reference, washer hose routing.
    [​IMG]

A nice empty ish engine bay (and dirty!)
    [​IMG]

Almost empty dash area
    [​IMG]

Thats all for now :)

14. Mjj4 Forum Member

Update later :) :thumbup:

Waiting on a nice present too! Hopefully be here thursday

15. Mjj4 Forum Member

So i haven't got a lot done as I've worked 18 days straight but i managed to get down the unit yesterday evening and with the help of a mate got a fair bit done, I also sold the BBS RA's and took a set of Brock B2's in part exchange. Only need them as workshop wheels so they're all good apart from the g60 brakes don't fit underneath them!

I started by taking all the trims off to see the state of the sills and arches, i knew it wouldn't be great and it's pretty much as i expected. The arches are a bit rough round the edges but i've seen much worse. I plan to buy the rear arch repair panels from vw heritage and just use the bits i need (rather than welding the whole lot on pointlessly).

One side underneath has been patched to a reasonable standard and the other side revealed a 4 finger hole, but i'd rather find it now and get the underneath all welded up, treated and sealed now rather than have to in a few years time!

N/S rear arch
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

O/S rear arch
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

O/S front arch
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

N/S front arch
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hole in the sill
    [​IMG]

Rear panel
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Inside rear chassis legs
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I took the windscreen out, it didn't go perfectly to plan and i will need a new windscreen when im done! Windscreen surround is pretty good with 2 bits of rust
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then i took the front suspension out, hubs, brakes, wishbones, steering rack wiper motor/linkage and subframe out. Then moved inside the car and took the steering column and pedal box out. It doesn't look like a lot of progress but I feel its a lot for an evenings work so i'm happy!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have a big present coming on thursday hopefully so i'll get back down the unit tomorrow! Hopefully progress will pick up a bit compared to the last two weeks!

16. mercedeslimos Forum Member

Big present????

17. Mjj4 Forum Member

Yeah, well its not a darkside turbo kit but to me its an important and fairly big present!

Am going back down the unit tonight, i ordered an SMF clutch kit originally for my daily but might use it on the mk2 not too sure yet. Has anyone got any opinions on SMF noise/vibration in a mk4? Don't want have a harder time making the mk2 quiet and smooth as it is let alone with an SMF

18. mercedeslimos Forum Member

Clutch is probably one of the biggest consumables there is. The 02M is a pain and a half to get lined up when changing clutches. best to maybe do it once.

I think SMF is the only way if I'm going to fit a big turbo unfortunately.

19. CurbSide Dubs New Member

well u checked mine so im checking out yours !!! & i thought i was mad lol .. the mk2 shell looks in good nic :-) nothing rust wise to winge about nice easy fixes ! .. i got a waxoil gun heated up a ful tin of waxoil an blow it down the chassis legs an anywere i could get the hose into lol .. they will suss out how to raise the titanic before my car rust haha .. nice work looks a good project mate :-)

20. mc_hawkings24 Forum Member

If you haven't seen this thread already? you should check it out now

http://www.dubforce.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=23328

It holds alot of info about the tdi conversion with wiring diagrams but driveshaft through the engine mount looks crazy.

Would love to do a tdi conversion but it looks alittle hard and time consuming but what are you doing with the abf? :)