MK2 Refresh- Its Started :-)

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Richard Mk2, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Right then, ive been thinking about restoring my Mk2 with new parts.

Ive managed to put a list together with prices from VW Heritage.

It will be expensive, especially with the respray, but the end result im sure will be well worth it. :thumbup:

Here goes -

Trim

• G60 front arch left – 89.20
    • G60 front arch right - 89.20

• OR GTI front arch (90spec) - 73.50
    • GTI front arch (90spec) - 73.50

• G60 rear arch left - 89.20
    • G60 rear arch right - 89.20

• OR GTI rear arch (90spec) left - 73.50
    • GTI rear arch (90spec) right - 73.50

• Side skirts - 50.50 Left and Right x 2 = 100.10
    • Side skirt clips - 7.20 x 10 = 72

• Bumper Kit, Mk2 Golf, With Fogs, Inc Splitter- 225.70

• Mirrors left and right - 20 x 2

• GTI Grille badge - 17.50
    • VW Grille badge - 20
    • Genuine grille – Already purchased along with Hella headlights.

Seals

• Roof gutter seals. Still need to find these ?
    • All other seals seam ok tbh. Will inspect further.

Interior

• New Carpet set, Golf Mk2, Black - 169.
    • Rear load floor mat - 55.90

Wheels

• BBS RA’s stripped down, painted and restored to former glory. I was quoted 50 per wheel - 200

There will be other bits and pieces added but above is the majority of things i can think of.

I do need a new bonnet, and two wings, but will search for some straight used genuine ones first.

Feel free to add anymore which i may have left out.

Cheers :thumbup:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  2. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Get genuine bumpers as opposed to repro, your car isn't even that bad lol

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

I'm pretty sure the end result won't be 'worth it' - at least in financial terms.

If you're planning to keep the car for many years then fair enough, but don't expect to make the money back.

4. Richard Mk2

Ive been searching high and low for genuine bumpers, but they seem to be non-existant these days

I know the Mk2 looks ok atm, but im still not happy with it ;)

All these parts will be fitted after the respray so the end result will hopefully be a mint Mk2 :)

Tbh Mike, i dont plan on ever selling my MK2. :thumbup:

The end result with be a resprayed MK2 with all new trim, which hopefully should look great :)

The money ive already spent on it is way into the 's with the 20vT install, ect, so there will be no money to be made back, just a MK2 to be proud of and for me to drive and enjoy [:D]

5. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Amen to that!!

6. Richard Mk2

:thumbup:

7. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

Richard, I'm not sure where you've been searching for your bumpers, but I see genuine used bumpers in good condition, daily on ebay and the likes - I even saw a set of Helios big bumpers a few weeks back and I never see any helios stuff (I've got small bumpers so I didnt buy them!)

My point being, I wouldn't be so quick to rush out and fork out big money on new stuff when 2nd hand stuff is fine if properly painted - as long as there are no dents/marks (and I see plenty of usable bumpers like that) then the only things that are a problem are the hangers, which can be replaced

8. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  9. Richard Mk2

Cheers for that Dennis :thumbup:

I know exactly what you mean, there are a few nice ones for sale on ebay, but i want everything to be new once the respray is done. Basically a complete restoration of all the trim. :)

The bumpers on mine atm are not that old tbh, but the front one has a slight scratch on one of the corners. Little things like this will annoy me!

Here are what they currently look like -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rear one is absolutely mint and is genuine, so i may get away with keeping this one.

Both front and back on there atm haven't been painted yet ! I can get away with it because the car is black and it blends in lol

I do really want a genuine front bumper to match everything else, but it has to be new / perfect.

:thumbup:

10. Joesoap Forum Member

Golf looks sweet Rick ,Leave the wee car alone and enjoy it :thumbup:

11. DC75

DC75 Forum Member

in search of perfection. respect:thumbup:

12. Richard Mk2

:thumbup: Dan

13. beetie

beetie Forum Member

I've started doing bits to mine again.

Have you got any knowledge on if the vw heritage panels are any good, like the wings for example.

14. thegave Forum Member

Genuine > new repro for any body part/panel imo.

Just because it's new you'll still be hacked off with the way it fits (or doesn't) compared to a genuine item. Keep trawling for good used genuine parts. You save money, and it's more fun and involved that way.

15. Richard Mk2

I know what you mean. I will search for some genuine used stuff, but they have to be near perfect.

Both my wings have dents in them, and im unsure if they can be put right ?

Also, i had a heart stopping moment not long ago when the bonnet flew up, bending each top corner of my mint bonnet :cry:
    I managed to find a genuine set of bonnet hinges, as im sure the current ones are now out of shape :(

I'll post some pictures up soon of the dents and damage. Would like some advice if they are too far gone or easily repairable?

16. Richard Mk2

I know that the trim parts are great quality. Ive had a front bumper, new grille, headlights, grille clips ect from them with no problems.

If i fail to find any good genuine replacement wings and bonnets, i'll definitely go with VW Heritage :thumbup:

17. Richard Mk2

I blame the Westside show i recently went to, with all their shiney mint MK2's!! Made mine look out of place :(

But ive always wanted to do a restoration on a MK2 with a nice new respray and new parts :)

18. damien.wrl Forum Member

As per previous comments , a lot of heritage stuff Is not genuine, try vw classic.de they supply the oem stuff to heritage and you will save on middleman costs, also good second hand parts can be found, get any solid wings and have them resprayed they wil fit first time, most bits can be renovated and it's a good feeling getting an old taty part and making it like new...most of my car is 24 years old and cleans up amazing ..

19. Mike_H Forum Addict

The car doesn't look like it needs paint to me. Quite the opposite. I know a good paintless dent guy, but he doesn't really work into london as he has plenty of work round the Reading area. My tame panelbeater could probably take dents out of wings quite easily, as long as they're not creased. single skin means you get good access to the back of the dent.

You really should get some experts to look at this rather than assume the worst and mentally commit to spending money.

Also, rubbing with thinners is a good way to clean the outer 'skin' from rubber parts and bring them back up to good condition. Look into that for your roof rubbers and other trim bits.

Original factory paint will last better than any respray, especially if you look after it.

20. Richard Mk2

The paint is ok but not mint at all unfortunately. :(

It has been well looked after, as the shell has done 200,000 miles!

I'll get some detailed photos up of all the annoying little things that are letting it down and post them up. :thumbup: