MK2 Refresh- Its Started :-)

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Richard Mk2, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Blue MK2 Forum Member

I will be letting go of my mint textured G60 arches soon. Only the nearside front has damage at the bottom (i would replace it). Looking for some tidy uncut 90 specs if you have any ;)

Buy a complete donor cheap enough and take all the carpets and stuff. Works out cheaper in the long run. Then weigh the scrap metal in.

Sunroof seals are not availible even through vw classic parts. Cheap ebay copies split apart and drop.

Golf GL's are usualy the ones with the mint textred bumpers as they are owned by the older folk ;)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  2. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

I really want a set of G60's ;)

I will be stripping a few Mk2's soon. Looking to get another lock up, strip a few cars to generate some cash for the restoration and keep some of the good bits and pieces i need :)

I was bidding on a GL not long ago (posted it in a thread somwwhere), but was outbid at the last minute. Im keeping my eyes pealed for one though.

Tbh, if i can get all the bits brand new i'd be happy. I know its going to be hard.

Regarding the sunroof seal, mine seems to be perfect and does not leak at all :)

Might try out what Mike said above, and try and bring up some of the faded roof gutter rubbers and door seal's up.

I know ive got my work cut out but im sure the end result will look great :)

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

I'll check with my mate exactly what he did on the rubber bits. I think it was thinners then rubber care, but will confirm.

4. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

If this is a car you want to use regularly then I would suggest running it as it is. You're likely to be paranoid enough with the new paint let alone fearing for non repairable scuffs and bleaching from the sun! Also, even with new bumpers, you're still going to end up putting some dressing on if only for protection so the end result from anything more than a few feet away will be the same.

Your trim still blacks up like the best of them (!) so my advice would be to get the new genuine trim but save it for when it's really needed or the car takes on a more showcar type of lifestyle. That way the OCD in you can sleep easy knowing that there are perfect reserves to call upon should they be needed and that new scuff isn't really that important. It also gives you time to hunt out the perfect set of genuine bumpers.

5. Richard Mk2

Cheers :thumbup:

My Mk2 isn't a daily driver mate, thats why i bought my 1.8T MK4. ;)

The MK2 is always garaged, and is only ever used on the weekends, Ace Cafe monthly meets, regional meets and most of the big shows.

I also try and not take it out in the rain or bad weather. Last Sunday was an exception as i was at the Westside VW show and shine, and it poured down all day :(

The kit on there atm is quite mint, but not perfect. I would personally fit the new trim, and keep the current ones as spares really.

I will keep the rear bumper, as its a genuine new one, unpainted and in mint condition. That took me ages to find!

I wish someone still produced the side door trims, would love a new set :)

6. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

just start collecting parts as and when you can and put them away for when you need them
    that's what i do with both the mk2 and mk4
    sold a lot of parts this year but still have a good stash for when i ever get a new mk2 or fix the one i have

get the bumpers you have sprayed and dont get hung up with getting genuine ones
    the repo ones i had on my 8v were better than the genuine ones on the 16v

7. solaris

solaris Forum Member

Have to admit I find my self in the very same position [:D]

8. Richard Mk2

I've already been buying up new genuine parts today, seen as its payday [:$] :)

9. MK5 Steve

MK5 Steve Forum Member

..........same here,very nice.

10. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

What dya get??????

11. Richard Mk2

That would be telling ;)

Na ive only bought a couple of things. New genuine Gti grille badge, side trim Gti badges and a load of new Vw rivets for when I buy the new arches :)

I'm back from the New Forest tomorrow so I can have a proper look for bits and pieces on the laptop.

I'm still undecided whether or not to go for the original orange indicators ?

Anyone got a part number for the little white clip which allows you to screw the indicators in to the big bumper? I've got some on there atm but could do with new ones :)

12. joe0088 New Member

Monza car care do some really good cleaning kits, especially the zymol seal cleaner. When I was pricing up seals on heritage came to about 450! The trim is so expensive as well I'm waiting for some trim on ebay cheaper was an pretty uch new set of 90 spec trim that went for 230.
    The window trim is new on ebay as well, bought some from a guy they came from mexico! but they are a good replacement. Same cant be said for the sunroof seal think someone on here mentioned the same thing! Had to go genuine with that from Heritage.
    As for interior definitely go to a scrap yard for the carpet!

13. watercooled Forum Member

Any second hand bumper is likely to have the dreaded grey fade but the texture will always be correct.
    I had the good luck of having a mate with a wreaking yard,he would contact me when he got cars in and I would have first dibs on the best mk2 bits so I started collecting,when I started my build I had the choice of the best and found I could sell off the parts I rejected.
    As a result many comment on how nice my interior and exterior trim is,so good on you Richard mk2 go for it.

14. Richard Mk2

That's very true. I was pricing up the seals on Monday and they were well over 400ish! The seals on mine are fine, just faded. I'll look into that stuff as restoring them will save me some 's.

Bumpers will have to be new and un-used. My rear one is a new genuine one, so will keep that on there. The bottom half needs painting and will do this once it goes in for a respray.

I really want a new carpet in mine, and the chances of finding a mk2 of any spec in the scrap yard in London is near impossible!

:)

15. Richard Mk2

Thanks mate :)

I search the forums/eBay ect daily for good deals on genuine items. I have managed to find some good deals in the past too, especially from ClubGTi members :thumbup:

I still get nice comments on my mk2, which is nice, but I really want it to be showroom condition, which will be hard ;)

16. Ecurie Ecosse Forum Member

I'm doing the same with my car, and got the items on your list.

Also things like seals, badges and interior trim make a difference.

And that's before you get started on the mechanical stuff :)

17. Richard Mk2

It's true. I have a long list of interior parts for mine.

Mechanically it's ok, as I've just put a 1.8T in place of the 8v, but I still need to tidy things up in the bay.

I'm going to be fitting a set of mint genuine inner spot lights to my new grille today, as I have aftermarket one's on there atm.

New grille badges, New Hella headlights, inners and grille clips should refresh the front end. All genuine items to :)

18. Richard Mk2

As the weather is nice i decided to fit a few new parts today on the front end :)

I managed to get my hands on a grille, which had some absolutely mint Hella Inner spot light. These are in excellent condition, and when put next to my new aftermarket Autopol ones, the difference is night and day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So i removed these and cleaned the glass using a strong deep glass cleaner, which gets the glass looking like new.

[​IMG]

Then on with the Hella stickers :)

[​IMG]

I also managed to get hold of a new genuine grille badge. Look at the difference :thumbup:

[​IMG]

Now it was time to fit the Hella inners and the new GTI badge to my New genuine grille.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All finished off with my new set of Hella Headlights, with genuine grille clips which sit at the top corner of the headlight ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well thats the lights and grille sorted out. There will be alot more to come :)

19. Andy947 Forum Addict

You are aware that hella stickers are not correct for a GTI?

20. Richard Mk2

Yea i know. They came on the Drivers :thumbup: (Mine did start off as a 1.8 driver to)

I think they look good on the Inners though. :)