MK2 Refresh- Its Started :-)

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Richard Mk2, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Andy947 Forum Addict

All this original paint is better than a respray talk is utter garbage. Provided you use top quality branded paint, and it applied in accordance with the manufacturers data sheets its will be as good if not better.

As for the rear light rust, thats a really difficult one. You will only know when you get the oaint off, and see how far into the seam its spread. It will definately have got into the seam, as thats how its spread in that area.

The rear arches are indeed better than some, but that doesn't mean they aren't a total pig to clean up. Again, until the paints off and you start gridning back you won't know how much metal will need welded in. You will probably have to spearare the seam to get inbetween to treat the rust.

There are quite a number of areas under the car that you need to look at aswell.

Pay particular attebntion to the areas around the towing eye and where it meets the rear panel on the udnerside, and the same on the opposite side. Also the area just forward of where the rear beam bolts on, where the rear member meets the sill and floor panel. The multiple seams in this area harbour rust. The Two "jacking" lumps at the front of the car, check that there is solid metal inside the lump, of not, it has rusted through. Up inside the rear arch where the fuel tank bolts, and the seams in that area, high chance there is rust there.

Be very very critical of the underside of the car before you commit to spending a lot of money on a paint job on the exterior panels.

2. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Cheers for the advice Andy, its very much appreciated. :thumbup:

I'll get underneath tomorrow and check all those areas thoroughly. Regarding the light area, i'll whip it out and have a good look.

Its strange though, as the opposite side is very solid. No bubbling or anything ?

Also, do you know of any quality paints which would be well worth using ?

Cheers :thumbup:

3. foxyjay Forum Member

I believe Glasirit is the current paint VAG use, and is very good.

4. Richard Mk2

Cheers Foxy :thumbup:

5. 20v

20v Regional Co-Host - London

Rich I may be breaking a LA9V mk2 soon if it doesnt sell as a whole..

Inbox me a list of the parts you are after :thumbup:

6. Richard Mk2

PM'd mate :thumbup:

7. glove Forum Member

If it is going on parts I may take some staff!

8. Richard Mk2

Been busy with the mk2 today. Removed the rear lights to see if the rust was bad and came across this :( -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The good thing is it hadn't gone all the way through as there was no signs of rust on the inside, and no holes :thumbup:

I decided to sand it down to bare metal, smooth and fill it, and put some rust proof primer on top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The odd thing is the otherside looked like new, with no signs of rust or bubbling anywhere, which is strange ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I gave the rear end a good looking over for any more signs of rust or bubbling, and there was nothing. It just seems strange that its only one side which has developed rust ? Maybe the seal was letting in water ? [:s]

Im going to remove the rear quarter window next and see the extent of the small bubbing on the bottom of the window seal. I hoping it hasn't gone really bad under there. Should be ok though :thumbup:

9. beetie

beetie Forum Member

Check the fuel filler neck area. As you saw I found my car was rotten there.

10. Richard Mk2

Will do tomorrow mate :thumbup:

11. Matt48 Forum Member

took my rears off a yr ago luckily rust free

12. Richard Mk2

Had a good look today with the rear wheel removed. And guess what ......

No rust :)

It was completely rust free! There was a lot of dirt built up, which I removed, and underneath was just underseal. No nasty rust or holes anywhere.

I did notice that where the rear arch is riveted on at the bottom, some metal has come away.

Can this be fixed, or will it need a complete new arch :(

The rest of the arch looked fine tbh. Could this be rebuilt ?

Will put a picture up tomorrow.

13. beetie

beetie Forum Member

Mine looked okay as it was all underseal. Once I got investigating with a screwdriver the rust appeared.

14. Richard Mk2

I did have a good poke around with a long screwdriver, and all was very solid. :thumbup:

Will get some pics up.

15. M5 London New Member

Great Car !

Great Attitude !

Keep up the good work mate !

16. Richard Mk2

Thanks mate :thumbup:

17. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

i cant help but think your car has had a rear quarter on the passenger side for the rot to get that bad, or a bit of a bash on that side which was repaired at some point? very odd place for it to rot and a strange pattern for it seems to follow, maybe it has had paint in that area and it reacted under the light but wasnt fixed due to lazyness or something

18. Richard Mk2

I dont think its had a new panel tbh. Inside it looks identicle to the other side, and none of the rust got through, luckily ;)

Behind the bumper is completely rot free to -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All the original lines are there, so i dont think its had a new 1/4 ?

All the paint looks original to, with no signs of a respray.

Its odd that the rust has only got into there, and no where else ? [:[]...

19. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

sometimes the signs of spray work are very subtle, especially if someone with half a clue did it! i only recently noticed my rear panel had a spray job as i found a very subtle line in the middle of the panel crease from the masking work.

could just be a small bit of paint got chipped under the light and its just been sat festering for years mind, a lot of grot can get stuck behind the lenses

20. Richard Mk2

You've got me thinking now!

I'll have a good look over it again when im next around my garage, and see if there are any tale tale signs of a repair.

I could well of been some chipped paint that has spread ?

I just cant seem to recall it when i changed the rear lights for the smoked ones ? Glad ive caught it in time though.

The tailgate is in excellent condtion. So far all ive found is this and one of the rear arches with rust. Everything else seems solid :thumbup: