MK2 Refresh- Its Started :-)

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Richard Mk2, Sep 24, 2012.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

how long ago was it since you changed the lights? if it wasnt there before then yah could just be a bit of paint damage and its gradually rotted away under the paint

2. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

I changed them in 2007, so it could be possible. Strange that its gone all the way up the boot, and down the line under the light ?

Its spent most of 3 years in a garage though, since i bought my Mk4 daily. Only used on weekends, and dry days !

At least i spotted it before it went futher, thats the main thing. And i'm happy with the results, as im quite a novice at bodywork. :)

3. beetie

beetie Forum Member

Hopefully get the wings off mine at the weekend, and if I can buy a car cover I might take out the windows,to check for anymore
    If mines too bad might have to say goodbye :(

4. Andy947 Forum Addict

Did you remove the sealant to get the rust in the seam??

5. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

the white gti i had rotted like that after it was repaired by the local vw dealer
    they never sealed it right

as andy said it's best to remove the sealer and redo it once you have given it a good wire brish with in inch of it's life

the lower bit still looks a bit rushy to me

6. Richard Mk2

The lower bit still needs doing (the line), but was going to remove the bumper when i do this, or wait till the respray ?

The only sealant i saw was some going up the boot. I didn't remove this as it wasn't near the rust. I just masked over it and treated the parts around it.

It may have had a repair in the past, but there are no signs of this or history ?

Next thing is the right side rear arch. Ive noticed that one of the rivet holes has completely broken away. Not sure if its repairable or not ? The rest of it is solid and the other side is perfect luckily.

On a whole, the Mk2 is quite solid, and ive seen worse. Just want the respray done really, but will have to wait a while for that.

7. Richard Mk2

Might do the same with mine. Hope yours is ok and you keep it mate :thumbup:

Can it get really rusty behind the wings then ?

8. beetie

beetie Forum Member

Yeah in the top corner by the windscreen. Need arches off to check it, but I'm best to see the extent of it before wasting too much money on parts

9. Richard Mk2

Managed to find an exact match for my paint code (LA9V) in a spray can, so i can finish the rust repair off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know it will eventually go in for a respray, but i really dont know when, as i have my wedding next April, and other things, so i might aswell have it looking tidy if im still using it now and again :)

Also managed to get a set of mint side trims from Nut 20v to compliment my new badges, and a genuine grille trim, as im not impressed with the aftermarket one on there atm ;)

[​IMG]