Mk2 VR6 Re-wire help needed - Interior re wire 26/03/10 (Page2)

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by 1990, May 13, 2009.

1. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I'm going to run the headlight looms inside the car and out behind the header tank, if I swapped the parking light wire and the indicator wires I could swap the looms left to right couldn't I?

That should save me lengthening the drivers side one and shortening the passenger side one.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

can earth it anywhere you like, old 8vs and 16v earths to the block :)

yeah cant see an issue with swappin the pins over in the headlight loom plug :thumbup:

3. 1990

And whats that 'thing' near the drivers side headlight with yellow and yellow/blue wires to it? Headlight booster?

4. AndyG

AndyG Forum Member

sounds like the headlamp dim-dip resister
    who originally did the wiring on your conversion.. stevie wonder

5. 1990

I think it was Edward Scissorhands.

What does the dim-dip resistor do? It seems to be wired back to the fuse box but not onto the yellow lighting plugs.

The wires on the floor are the ones i've not needed from the lighting loom
    [​IMG]

6. AndyG

AndyG Forum Member

when you put your side lights on it also brings on the headlights at low power, totally useless so leave it unplugged

7. 1990

Cool. That will also mean 2 less wires and plugs behind the fusebox. My lighting loom is ready to be re routed and re wrapped now.

Engine loom next[:s] . I woner if there will be any cut wires in that?

8. 1990

I re connected the coolant and brake flius level wires to the fuse box plugs so everything should be fully functuonal. I've wrappeed the first couple of foot of it but cant see a decent way past the peddle box so i've deceided to send it back the original way.

I poked the 3 yellow plugs back through under the servo but then couldn't get the big grommit back onto the bulkhead. Is there a trick to doing it or is it just a case of struggling along with it?

Are the wires suppost to go over or under the servo? Anyone got a pic?

9. GarethMK2VR6

GarethMK2VR6 Forum Member

Don't have a pic mate but I'm pretty sure they go over, if you mean in from the top.

10. AndyG

AndyG Forum Member

when i did mine I passed it over the servo, and the 2 large grommits do fit in the mk2 bulkhead ok, just a bit tight.
    I wrapped all my wiring in convulated tubing and you can just make out the route I did all the wiring

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. rubjonny

that boot can be a *****, I staret by hooking the bottom in the poke/squeeze/push till the lip seats all the way round. swear at it.

12. 1990

I was sending them under the servo, DOH!!. I'll try again tonight.

I'm actually excited about the engine loom, I found 2 unplugged connections when I moved it slightly to get the lighting loom under the servo. I'm wondering how many cut wires there will be under the insulation tape.

I might even pull the engine loom out before I put the lighting one back in because the lighting loom goes into the lower hole.

13. 1990

OK, sorted the grommit/boot by feeding the lighting loom plugs through the bulkhead from the inside to the outside and greasing it up a bit. I tee'd off for the brake fluid level sensor then ran the loom along the top of the chassis leg to the slam panel then tee'd off for the drivers side headlight, I shortened all the wires so its a nice tight fit.

Thats where i'm at. Pics to follow.

I'm planning to run the passenger side headlight loom, coolant temp wires, washer pump wires and side repeater wires inside the bumper iron.

Before I wrap that bit can I just confirm that I can earth the coolant temp wire anywhere? Even to the passenger side headlight earth?

14. rubjonny

single pin sensors as on the mk2/3 16v earth thru the engine block, gearbox, battery earth and finally to the battery. as long as its got a good path to ground you'll be fine :)

15. 1990

Great. I might add an extra earth onto the battery when the loom passes it. I do find it strange how VW glue all the earth's together. Could you basically earth anything engine/interior/lights/stero to each other or any random earth wire?

I'm so gay i've brought one set of headlight connector to work and cleaned the wires ready to shorten/solder/wrap then tonight

From this:
    [​IMG]

To this:
    [​IMG]

To this:

16. James_mk2 Forum Member

It's addictive isn't it, the problem is when i do it it tends to go a bit wrong :lol:
    I've got an earthing issue somewhere so that when the headlights are off the temperature gauge doesn't work, but when you turn the headlights on it goes up to 1/4 temperature regardless of whether the engine is on or not :lol:
    Major re-wire is called for this winter

17. 1990

This is my drivers side one all done. Its a 1000000% improvement on the nest of wires that was there before.[​IMG]

18. faithless

faithless CGTI Regional Host

looks good ian, you at tatton sunday fella?

19. 1990

I hope so, i'll give you a shout.

20. 1990

GGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRR!! I've ****ed something up!!

The indicators work fine with no lights.

The indicators work fine with sidelights.

When I turn on the headlights the indicators on the passenger side all light up, the passenger side sidelight comes on along with a dull light on the spot lamp on the grill.

What have I done wrong? I think it must be something to do with the white/black and black/white wires for the passenger side headlight and indicator. Or could it be an earth issue?

I'll have to unwrapp that section and have a look. What a *******!!