Mk2 VR6 Re-wire help needed - Interior re wire 26/03/10 (Page2)

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by 1990, May 13, 2009.

1. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Yeah you could remove the terminals from the housings (using a terminal removal tool - Vehicle Wiring Products, eBay, or even a really tiny flat blade screwdriver) and crimp on brand new terminals, and then wang those back into the plastic housing.

If you want some pictures of routing of the lighting loom I could take some pictures for you in my 2WD MK2 I'm currently yanking the 16VG60 back out of.

2. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

That would be great Trev. I'm currently sat on the dining room floor pulling the old scabby wrapping off it and cleaning the oil off it.

I might have seens some angled housings that could be good.

3. 1990

I have a couple more questions, I want to get it right first time.

The drivers side lights all seem to earth to B5. Where do the passenger side ones earth? Is it to the battery or back to the fusebox?

I have a big red wire left in A5, I'm thinking I could leave this and use it to connect power to my slimline fans (controlled by the switch in the rad), is that right or wrong?

4. 1990

Are these from Vehicle wiring products the same as the ones on mk2 sidelights, indicators and horn?
    [​IMG]
    4145 on here it looks like they may just have 1 tab but I like how they can have the rubber boot attached to them.

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the headlight earths all kinda splice together and go back to A2/5. the battery -ve would be fine as well, its up to you! A1/5 is the factory pin for the mk2 rad fan, so as long as your slimline isnt going to use more power than factory you'll be fine (uses 30a fuse)

plugs you have 2 types on your loom, those with 2 lock tabs and those with 1. I get mine from here:
    http://www.polevolt.co.uk/acatalog/Junior_Power_Timer_Connectors.html
    http://www.polevolt.co.uk/acatalog/Packard_Timer_Connectors.html

factory mk2/3 mostly dont use the boot rather they have the packard timer style with round waterproof seals in the back of the plug. either is fine they are compatible as long as you get the number of lock tabs right. note you have 2 styles of pin 1 tab and 2, they are both compatible with each other but i buy the 2 tab pins as they're what VW use (even in packard timer plugs!)

6. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

I took some photos of the routing of the lighting loom for you after I pulled the 16VG60 engine out.

I hope this is useful to you because it was a lot of work pulling the engine out just for that and now I have to go through the effort of putting it back in again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. 1990

Is it permanent live? If I use it for the fan it would save a connection onto the battery and keep things neater. I was thinking of using 2 x 10" 12v 80w fans.

Are Polevault much cheaper than TPS? By the time i'm done i'll be needing 10 of the pins for the 2 way packard housings, male and female for the end of the A1/5 power and earth cable

I think i'd be ordering:
    10 x (cant find VAG part number) for packard housings ARE THESE THE ONES??
    THESE for the A1/05 wire
    THESE for the headlights

:lol::thumbup::clap: Nice one Trev!!!! Thanks very much, you can put the engine back in now, dont tighten any bolts though I might need you to take it in and out a few more times before i'm done:lol::lol:

I can see the drivers side comes under the servo and the rest goes over it rather than under and back up as I was thinking.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  8. rubjonny

yup its permanent live. its the feed to the red wire on the 2 pin plug near the battery on factory mk2 :thumbup:

those are the right JT pins, looks like a bargain might have a few myself! watch out for the H4 plugs with the flag spades, they wont fit in my crimping tool :(
    I found these:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170575541067

sidelight plug is 357 972 752, 5.02+VAT

9. 1990

Super!!

Any idea the distance from the yellow plugs to the big rubber bung? I dont want too much or too little slack behind the fusebox.

10. rubjonny

i'll go and measure some slack on one of the many boxes of mk2 looms that are awaiting my attention :lol:

11. 1990

Send me a few and i'll pull them apart for you (No idea how to put them back together though[:s]:lol:)

12. rubjonny

right on a mk2 90spec engine loom i have 13"/33cm from the lip on the grommet to the end of the plug :thumbup:

13. 1990

I got the new headlight plugs today. I'll not be using them, each of the 3 wires exits the housing in a different direction[:s]

I've measured the distance between the yellow plugs and bung on a LHD loom and its 32cm. Would RHD be the same?

14. rubjonny

I guess I know when my posts are not interesting enough to read [:^(]

15. 1990

:lol: :lol: Sorry RJ, I typed it then went to the shed to measure it but couldn't find a tape measure so had to steal a ruler off one of the kids.

Thanks very much for the reply (All of them), I love you[:*:][l]