Mk2 VR6 Re-wire help needed - Interior re wire 26/03/10 (Page2)

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by 1990, May 13, 2009.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

sounds more like an earth issue to me, run some temporary earths from the headlight plugs to the chassis by poking them in the back of the socket, hopefully this will point out the problem

2. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks, your right.

If I put a wire from the battery -ive to the inner spotlight on the grill's earth everything works fine.

If I put a wire from the battery -ive to the hedlight earth nothing changes.

I wonder what I did wrong?? I was soooo carefull as well. Must try harder with the engine loom.

3. rubjonny

cool should be an easy fix! maybe a dry joint somewhewre or a break inside the loom somewhere :)

4. 1990

I just unwrapped that section of loom and tested the earth wire with one end of the multimeter on the battery +ive and it gave 12volts, that means the earth is good doesn't it?

Very strange.

I think i'll still wire the headlight and spot light directly to the batttery -ive.

5. rubjonny

if you put the +ve pin at the battery and the -ve pin at the back of the headlight plug and it gave 1`2v then yeah it seems to suggest that the earth is ok, did you try this with the plug disconnected?

6. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

I`m about to tackle the loom on my track MK2. The number of unused wires is huge and as I`m going to be switching to Megasquirt, it seems a good opportunity for good loom thinning exercise!

Rather than wrapping, I`m going to be using the split tubing like AndyG has. Makes adding extra wires in future or faultfinding much easier.

7. rubjonny

I recommend twistwrap from vehicle wiring produces, it looks as good as loom tape but is easily removed if you want to get to any of the wires. keeps all the dirt & water out too unlike the spiral stuff. however its a bit on the expensive side :(

8. 1990

I've ripped out all the interior loom now and removed a ton of insulation tape from it. Every single loom was taped up, then taped to each other to make one huge bundle of wires.

I've put a single ring of tape every 6" (ish) to keep them neat but want to bin some more wires.

Can I bin the 'parking light' wires from the loom that goes to the back of the car? I've never purposely used a parking light in 12 years of driving. To me its just a good way to accidently flatten the battery.

9. G-Man Forum Junkie

You mean the one's where if you slap the indicator on it puts one side of the sidelight and rear lamp on?

I always assumed this was part of the circuit rather than having a separate wire? If not tell me more as i'll strip it out too [:D]

10. 1990

The ones I'm thinking of binning are:

A1/04 - Parking light front left - grey/black
    A2/02 - Parking light front right - grey/red

H2/02 - Front parking light switch right - green/red
    H2/03 - Front parking light switch left - green/black
    H2/05 - Power to parking light switch - green(Does this power anything else?)

K/02 - Parking light right rear - grey/red
    K/03 - Parking light left rear - grey/black

Only 7 wires but the more I bin the happier I feel. Ihats behind the fuse box now, about 200 wires???.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  11. G-Man Forum Junkie

My fusebox is pretty bare :lol: I'll see if i've even got those wires!

12. 1990

OK, A1/04 and A2/02 cant be removed because they double as sidelight wires.

13. rubjonny

cant do the k2/3 ones either as they're the rear light ones. the 3 to the parking light switch H2/ 2, 3 and 5 plus the wire from H1/10 to pin 'P' on the ign switch can be binned.

14. 1990

Cool. I just had the lighting loom out AGAIN, I unwrapped it and saw what i'd done wrong with the earths. I've put a wanted add on so I can start again.

I got it down to 10 wires including the horn but it ended up pretty cut up. I'm after a replacement now to do neat. Anyone know if a jetta one will have the H4 and sidelight connection same as the mk2?

I seperated the other yellow plug (D?) for the fluid levels and washer jet pump from the 2 lighting ones and i'm going to run that into the scuttle with the wiper loom.

This is where the fuse box is at. Previously all you could see was black insulation tape, piles and piles of it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  15. 1990

So, its all thinned out now, its gone from an afro to a comb over.

Is there anything availabe to wrap an interior loom with thats like the original foam stuff? Also was the foam just to keep the dash quiet?

16. rubjonny

yeah its for anti-rattle i believe, ive seen a few different types of foam used on varuious models. mk2 uses that coarse type foam, scirocco i worked on used a much finer type of foam, looked like the sticky back stuff thats on heater flaps etc. mk3s dont use much of this, mostly they're just wrapped with loom tape. but the wiring is secured much better inside a mk3 dash, great news for anti-rattle but a right ******* if you want to do any work on one :lol:

17. 1990

I think i'll get a shhet of foam and fix it with loom tape.

18. 1990

Is there a wire thats only live with the key out? For a flashing LED or other such device?

19. rubjonny

P on the ignition switch :)
    well, its live only with ign off which I think is close enough right? If not, you could probably do some clever electricity combo using P and SU (key in ign live)

20. 1990

I'm going to do another lighting loom.

Last time I got a bit carried away removing stuff and ended up with a few wires, like the main fuse box + & -'s coming out through random holes in the bulkhead.

This time I want to keep them all coming through the original hole under the servo but whats suppost to go where, I have a load of questions.

Does just the headlight, sidelight, indicator and fog go down the drivers side chassis leg under the servo to the headlight?

Does the rest go over the servo (or under and loop back up) and then T off for the brake fluid, coolant level, indicators then battery before reaching the passenger headlight?

What else passes through the bulkhead with that loom? Stuff to bin like dip dim and fan wiring? My fan is all contained in the bay.

Whats relay 31?

The pins in the headlight connector look a bit green/blue. Can I get replacements and cut the old ones off?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012