Mk3 Golf 2861cc Track car project - Phase 2 pg11 >

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by 12valver, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Hot Water Forum Member

Do you have a photo of your oil cool er set up and where you mounted?

2. 12valver Forum Member

Hi Hot water, I will see if I can dig out a pic of where the cooler was mounted tonight for you.

I secured it to the bottom of the plastic front panel (in front of the radiator) and behind the lower centre opening in the front bumper. This was done to simplify the runs for the hoses from the take off on the block and also it kept the cooler at a lower level.

Thanks,
    Martin

3. 12valver Forum Member

So, I thought it was time to start this thread up again as work has been going on, slowly. Time for a summary of the last few pages:

I originally had a 1997 GTi 16v which I bought as a daily in 2004. After some time I got bored and it ended up morphing in to a track car, which had a tuned VR6 installed. I ran it this way until November 2008.

[​IMG]

For various reasons (mainly saving for my first flat) the car was stripped down to a bare shell and remained that way for several years. Unfortunately, the shell would have required too much work to get back on the road, so I have sourced another 3dr shell which has the benefit of no sunroof / ABS etc.

[​IMG]

In the new year the torquoise one will be stripped and have the good bits from the black car fitted, along with the Safety Devices bolt in cage and fibreglass panels I already have. These include doors, bonnet, tailgate and wider front wings.

The panels:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The engine:

[​IMG]

A quick spec:

1993 ABV code 2861cc 12V VR6
    Blydenstein ‘B Pack +’ Head with schrick 3mm bigger Inlet & 2mm bigger exhaust valves
    Bahn Brenner motorsport titanium retainers and USRT lightweight cam lifters (INA ENGINEERING)
    Schrick 268 camshafts
    US spec VW MK4 GOLF VR6 head gasket (Up 0.5 in CR)
    VW Mk4 GOLF 2.8 V6 timing chain conversion.
    ARP uprated head bolt studs, main bearing caps and rold bolts
    Schrick VSR inlet flowed and match ported (By Blydenstein) to lower injector housing & head

Baffled sump:

[​IMG]

The long gearing on track, so the gearbox has had a few changes.

[​IMG]

Spec:

1993 CHN code 5spd manual
    Standard 3.39 FD replaced with 3.67 FD
    Quaife atb limited slip differential with new vw diff bolt set
    Helix Autosport multiplate organic faced sporting clutch kit
    VR6 flywheel lightened to circa 5.5KG and fitted with ARP bolts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Suspension:
    Koni coilovers, which will do until I get the revised axle weights, then I will look at the various custom options available.

[​IMG]

Brakes:

Stock sized discs on the rear with Mk4 golf calipers.

On the front I have 312mm discs and AP 4 pot callipers.

Trial fit:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The road wheels will be 8x17" OZ racing Super Turismo and the track wheels are 8x17" Superleggeras

[​IMG]

I also have a set of 8x16 Compomotive MOs:

[​IMG]

At the moment I am just gathering all the bits, getting parts powdercoated etc and the strip down will begin in the new year, with a view to the car being painted and finished for May / June time.

There are plenty other parts which will be fitted, but I do not want to bore you too much!

Thanks,
    Martin

4. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

About time you started on this again!!! :thumbup:

5. coullstar Forum Member

Get yer finger oot min. You and Dave are as bad as each other for having epic cars sitting about.

6. vr6smith Forum Member

Good to see work starting again, it's been a long time. I have read your thread too many times, given me a lot of inspiration on my car so it will be good to have some new reading.:thumbup:

7. 12valver Forum Member

Pipe down Coullstar, should you not be off searching for a new set of wheels?! Aye work is underway, hoping to get a weekend on it this Sat / Sun. The flat & 16 stone of Bullmastiff have been keeping me occupied for the past wee while!

Thanks vr6smith, it is always good to provide some inspiration. I have picked up a few things from various other build threads over the years it has been off the road and also seeing my friend's project cars come together. I am hoping it should be an improvement when complete and lapping at a quicker pace.

8. 12valver Forum Member

I had most of the weekend free to work on the car, so managed to get a few small jobs done.

The front of the car as it was:

[​IMG]

I fitted a set of Hella quads as they have a lot better beam pattern

[​IMG]

I have a set for the road and a set for track.

[​IMG]

Removed the rear wiper as it is not fit for purpose on a Mk3 and chucked in a grommet:

[​IMG]

I then moved on to the inside and stripped out the rear, removing all door cards and the rear seatbelts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The strut brace is just resting there until I get it jacked up and the rear shocks taken off.

I fitted a set of GTi/VR6 door cards as the 'Match' cloth was rubbish:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then dug out my Recaro subframes, but annoying could not find the bolts to attach the seat runners to them. Will get some bolts during the week and fit them next weekend.

[​IMG]

Hoovered the pole positions and placed them in the car:

[​IMG]

I also chucked on my trusty Sparco wheel:

[​IMG]

The rollcage is waiting here to be installed, hopefully get it trial fitted February / March time.

[​IMG]

A few more jobs to do to get it back on the road (suspension and brakes mainly) and get some winter tyres for these:

[​IMG]

Getting there, slowly!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  9. Erny Forum Member

Excellant, glad to see this going again, you not keen on the stripped out car anymore then?

10. 12valver Forum Member

Hi Erny, thanks. I am still keen for the stripped out car but going to run this through winter as it is, then the door panels will be coming out when the rollcage goes in. All the carpet will be removed at that stage as well and it will be strictly a toy / track car.

11. 12valver Forum Member

Time for an update.

It was decided just before Christmas to not bother putting the car on the road as a 1.4 and start the strip down for the cage / paint stages of the build.

So the work began whilst I was off for a few weeks at Christmas:

[​IMG]

Two of the grommet holes (common Mk3 rust area) on the passenger side need to have the rust cut out and plated over, could have been worse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rollcage was quickly offered up and some dimensions taken whilst the dash was still in place, a decision was then made on what brackets etc to remove::

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The lovely process of removing underseal / sound proofing began, so that we can seam weld the shell:

[​IMG]

Bulkhead removed:

[​IMG]

Then the old boy got busy with the grinder after I went back to work:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The flared wings were offered up and these are about 40mm wider per side. A few years ago Dad lovingly flared a new set of genuine wings with a dolly and hammer before they were sent off to get moulds taken for the fibreglass panels:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The track wheels arrived back from the coaters:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That is us up to date.

Thanks,
    Martin

12. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

happy days....

13. 12valver Forum Member

Very, very happy days Mike... A 'lovely' part of the build but things seem to be going ok so far.

Are we not due an update on your thread??

14. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

I think your right, lots happening at the mo. I dont have a build thread just the racing thread in the motorsport section. Might have to start another.

After i spoke to you about the OZ wheels, literally 2 days after 2 sets turned up on ebay. Id been looking for ages and ages lol. Managed to get one of them the other got pulled under suspect circumstances But got a set in white refub'd for 200

[​IMG]

15. 12valver Forum Member

That is good news Mike, that was a stroke of luck! Glad to hear you got a set sorted.

I think you should start a thread so I can keep up to date!

I will be in touch in a few months for some windows and decals if you can help out. I will PM nearer the time.

16. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Good to see you getting on with yours again too mate - wish I had more pics to share :cry:

17. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

I will try and get a thread going soon. No worries about the windows and bits let me know when and i will get everything sorted out.

18. 12valver Forum Member

Cheers Gary. I am sure the pics will come along shortly once you are 100% again.

Mike, you should definitely get a thread going! I have forgotten what yours looks like and it will be good to see what recent work you have been up to.

19. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Lots of work no pictures. Its having a full rebuild now, engine out full strip down and some trumpets.

20. 12valver Forum Member

The rebuild/trumpets sound great Mike. Very jealous!!

Just a small update. A lot of scraping and wire wheel grinding has been going on, but not many pics to show.

Engine bay is getting there. Quickly threw some primer on to stop the bare metal rusting. It will be seam welded next, then a dummy build of where everything is going and after that the preparation for paint can begin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lip has been ground off the tunnel and the hole will be plated. The plan is to mount an O2J type shifter on top of the tunnel to raise it up a bit.

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    Martin