Monkey with a spanner... (mk1 20vt AEB)

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by ShaunyC, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Admin Guest

might have some of those pins you are looking for.

2. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Thanx Chris.. :) not bad for a first timer Aay, lol, sumtimes i impress myself :) especially that sunroof..

You would be a life saver if you have Jon :) as long as u don't charge the price of a bell, lol

3. Joes Forum Member

hi there loving the thread so far my only concern is the choice of gearbox as i have a mk2 golf with a 20vt in and i used one of those gearboxes and it didnt last a week even when you gave it some real beans i struggled to stop the clutch from slipping and then a couple of days later it decided to drop near enough every cog out the bottom lol so im now using the box off the mk3 vr box

4. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Thanx Joes :) Yea when i researched the gearbox it was 50/50 020-02a/j gearboxes.. In the end cost, availability and ease to fit swayed it for me.. It's definitely on my list to upgrade, don't think i'll hack 4500rpm for 70mph and top out at 110ish too long.. haha

Just thought i'd give a little up date as it's been quite a while again.. Alot of reasearch for part's, which have been coming through in drip's and drab's.. But the bay is nearly ready to get stripped again, i think.??
    [​IMG]

How far do i take a trial fit..??
    I think i'v sussed the bit's I wanted to know how bolts together, i.e. engine/gearbox mount's, gear linkages, intercooler etc i'm guessing the turbo just bolt's where it has to go.? lol

Any view's on anything else i should trial fit..??

Another thing i'v been thinking about is where do pipe's, wire's etc go through bulkhead..??
    [​IMG]

A = Matrix .?
    B = Electric's .?
    C = Brake and fuel lines .??

Once i get every thing out i'll get some better pic's up of all the random part's i'v used..

5. Admin Guest

A+B are correct.
    C is almost obsolete with the conversion. just the wiring for the wiper motor to go through there.

6. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Thanx Jon.. :)

Forgot to mention.. I'm running braided brake and fuel line's on the inside of the car.. is it a case of drilling the bulkhead were ever suit's best..?? I'v since realised what i was planning for holes C wont work going through the big square hole as matrix/blower sit's there..

7. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Well an update took a little longer than I expected.. :-(

But i'v finally been out today :-) Made a start pulling the engine out. And as before got it hoisted up only to realise the crane hit the sealing .. Had to re-mount the engine and try again.. Same thing.. hahaha but this time I had it was an easier option to drop the shell a bit.. All the p1ssing around was a pain but at least it gave me some practice getting the engine in and out for when I have some paint on..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's a little thing I wish I did from the start... lol
    [​IMG]

I also emptied the inside from being used as storage space and touched up any scratched bit's with a tinned primer..
    [​IMG]

Ended the day with cleaning the garage a bit ready for some sand and spray sessions coming soon I hope..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Cipher Forum Member

Definitely going to subscribe to this one. Interesting read!

9. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Subscribe.?? lol Glad you like the read i'll try to keep you interested :)

Not much of an update more of a question.??
    I'v flattened down the primer for where i want to paint, floor and engine bay. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Should i mask off areas for shell color.?? I got half way round and thought not to, so pulled the tape off.. lol under the belief the tapped edge would be a pain to get rid of.?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  10. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Well managed to get a session in before butlins 70's weekend.. Wont be much use after it, lol. But as it turns out prob wunt of made a difference...

I rushed home from work then to pick up some hardener who told me to mix it 3-2-1..?? So went home to proceed.. I cracked the door's, dusted out, left to settle, mixed the paint and started to get to work, barely playing around with the gun first. The gun was pulsing abit.? I made sure everything was tight (as previous fault, lol) bit better.. So i started, but before long i started to notice run's... :( I played with the gun abit and cautiously started the engine bay..still ended up with run's.. :( Did suss out in the end to spray in quick burst.. Bout right.. lol

I stood back despairingly only to see the two inner rear aches i'd missed.. hahaha
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's quit a few of these..!!
    [​IMG]

Not too happy but it's gave me a few thing's to consider for the second coat..
    Double check 3-2-1- mix
    Ater fan to get in crack's
    GET GUN WORKING PROPERLY FIRST
    Suss out how to get rid of run's.? lol

Hope i'v learnt before the shell get's it [:D]

Or yea.. just to top it off when i was cleaning the gun, one of the nut's bounced off only to disappear forever... after a search even more annoyed had a smoke, walked back in the garage and it was bang where i was stood... hahaha, Made me laugh [:D]

11. G-adams

G-adams CGTI Regional Host - Bristol

I'm guessing your using 2k solid colour with the ratio your using, if so that seem to be a lot of thinner as the ratio I use in work is 2-1 with no more than 10% of thinner. With the runs you could flat them down with a bit of 1000 wet&dry then go over with 2000. The run you got in the picture is going to be abit tricky to flat it fully out without breaking flew the paint.

What sort of spray gun are you using? Do you have any pic of the spray gun? I might be able to help you set the gun abit better.

Keep up the great work

12. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Cheer's man [:D]

Yea i'm using 2k solid some sort of white that was mixed wrong but supposedley good stuff. I did think it was mixed abit wet, 2-1+10% sounds better.. I only flattened the primer down with 240blocks, do i have to use 1000 because there a coat on.? The car is gona be a track sl4g of sorts so not after show finishg but don't want it looking cr4p..

The gun i'm using is the same as what i used for the primer (Clarke pro 14c) from machine mart..

13. G-adams

In that case then you flat the runs with some 400 first but the finer the grade wet&dry you use the easyer it will be to polish up after but if your going to put some more coat on then 240 would be ok to knock the run down and then finish it in 400 as the solid colour would hide the 400 scratch's

On the spray gun you have three adjuster. The top one adjust the needle inside the the gun so you have loads or vary little movement when you pull the trigger. When I use my guns for work I fined it best at half trigger. So if you wined the top adjuster all the way in and then do two turn out it should be about half trigger but it might not suit you style as everybody paint different.

The next adjuster down is for the size of the fan. I find that the wider the fan is slower you got to go but you also cover more area that your painting.

The last adjuster at the bottom is for the pressure I find it best between 1.5 and 2 bar works best but you wouldn't be able to find out the pressure unless you use a in line regulator.

On the aircap are there any numbers like 1.3? And if you take the aircap off are there any number on the fluided tip?

Hope this helps abit

14. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Cheer's for some sound advise on the gun adjusters [:D] Think i'm going to go buy another gun with a finer nozzel i'm putting that much in i may aswell get a better tool for the job.. [:D]
    I'v been out in the week sanding down the run's.. After the first one i noticed it sanding areas around that i din't want.. so started carefully chopping the nipple off with a stanley blade to help.. [​IMG]

As the paint went on alot thicker than i wanted i noticed the dread orange peal.! in some place's i'd sanded..(well one really but there must be more waiting :() After i'd blended the run's out i give it all another sand down. [​IMG]

Quite annoyed with the thought of it all flaking off i felt like blasting it all off and starting again..!! But that's a hell of alot of backwards steps and at the end of the day she's gona get abused on the track and prob end up on her roof at some point, lol so it's jst another step in the learning curve.. Round two comming soon.. [:D]

15. G-adams

If your going to get another spray gun try and get one with a 1.3 fluid tip as that would be a finer nozzle.
    Before you primed the bay what did you rub it down with? As it looks like the primer is flaking off too. It could be down to moisture on that area. I would try and flat it some more to fade the flaking are out and re-prime that area to trap it.

16. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

The flaking got worse than that, read on, lol. My gun has 1.4 fluid tip so not too sad.? and I used 120 block's to sand the shell down for primer, got told i might of missed it tacking down.?

As promised round two update but first a little story of my weekend. friday work, saturday morning paint car, saturday night go for a quite couple.! with my sis and a few, sunday morning get in 3.30ish (a complete mess, lol) 5.30 go to a big sea fishing match. Where i was about as much use as a chunk of driftwood, Needless to say we never caught any thing.! sunday night curled up in bed typing this up, lol

Ok back to golf..
    So as i was a little peed off at my attempt i called in a little bit of guidance off my uncle. I did all the work he fed me info(and some sanding) Big thanx :)
    So we had a good look round (he said he was impressed how far it had come, which is always good to hear:)) Gave it abit more of a sand here and there but when i was airing it down i came across this patch..
    [​IMG]

Ouch.!! took it back to solid stuff and sanded it in 2 hour process mind. When it was ready i tin primed any through to color patches.
    We chatted about the gun which is a 1.4 nozzel (bit of an all-rounder?) He did have a moan about the state i'd left it in. So had to give that a good scrub, lol.
    I mixed the paint 3,2,0.5 and give it a filter into the gun. To be fair he set the gun up but talked me trough what he was doing(small fan to get in tight bits first) Then i got to work in the bay, it was really helpful to have a spotter for bits i'v missed.. Bay first coated then did the rear inner arches.
    Mixed more paint and while the first coat was still tacky, set the gun to a wider fan and gave it a glossy finish..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On the rear arch one it looks patchy but that's the camera lens. I'v been out and double checked, lol, Got to admit it was a right pig getting in there, so there is a couple of runs i know of.. but no biggie.

I'm really happy with the outcome :) but now i'm left to my own devices for the roof and floor..

Another thing we chatted about was i was hoping to get every thing fitted after the white but he pointed out that i really want to color my slam panel and front panel first.. Which means i need to decide a color asap..???

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  17. G-adams

I'm glad you managed to sort everything out with your gun. Now the fun being on picking a colour I found lol.
    Great works so far

18. Admin Guest

looks loads better now.

19. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Thanx guy's :) Got to admit i was a little impressed with myself, lol, really appreciated all the help :) hope i can keep it going for the roof etc.
    LOl, yea know what you mean :) think i'v nearly whittled it down to a choice of two colors... Blue to keep in key with business colors(I can put my mag signs on to sell myself, lol) and i noticed the white's got a hint of blue but all my ancillaries look's like there gona be blue, i.e suspenssion, bushes, engine, pipes and leads, seat belts. Will that be too much blue.? Or a solid gun-metal grey (well a silver that looks metalicy and making it abit darker.? paint dudes idea, lol)

20. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Ok so as my weekend was very chaotic i din't get chance to do owt.. :( So wrapped up early today to get on it.. (You gota have some perks, lol)
    First thing was to mask bit's off..
    [​IMG]

Then i gave the roof a flatten which revealed a few patches of where the head lining was stuck on (bad prep i thought but as it's the roof only gona notice it if upside down and i think that will be the least of my worrys at that point, lol)
    I bought a big tin of gun wash so i din't have to keep cleaning out with thinners. So filled the cup and had a play with the adjustment's on the gun. Feeling happy i got mixing, i also bought some strainers so i din't have to keep chopping mams tights up, lol.
    Soon sussed out i missed my spotter when the roof looked like tiger stripes. But at least i felt quite comfortable doing it. And am quite happy with the out come after 2 coats.. :)
    [​IMG]

I also went over the hamerite on the front inner arches.
    [​IMG]

And i noticed i'd missed the top edges of the engine bay so carefully tartted them up tring not to get any in the bay.
    [​IMG]

Now i'v just got to suss out how to attack the floor.?