Monkey with a spanner... (mk1 20vt AEB)

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by ShaunyC, Jun 19, 2011.

1. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Managed to get in there for abit today.. I'll start shopping next week, lol.

So the first thing i got on with was to mask off the ceiling panels and all the little holes around top. Yes.. they have bit's of paper and card inside, lol
    [​IMG]

Remember where the engine slipped putting it in place for trile fit..?? I sorted that.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Felt second nature now, lol..

This arrived the other day [:D][:D][:D] Which has changed plans a little.. for the best of corse [:D] Got carried away with the wire wool and took the stamp off, lol as long as it does it's job [:D]
    [​IMG]

Got the floor left to do in white then hopefully abit of color in there over crimbo [:D]

2. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

I was aching for abit of time off over christmas to crack on.. but instead i'v been rolling around my pit dying with man flu..

But put an effort in over weekend..
    So the floor was next on the list to get painted..
    [​IMG]

I noticed the masking tape was giving up on some masked areas so i re masked, and masked the floor.. After buying some static sheet stuff that made life a little easier..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now i started to mask the engine bay off.. plugging as many holes as i could find..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was going to paint it sunday but it was chucking it down and sure i read somewhere not to paint with moisture in the air so i left it for monday, give abit more time prepping..

So the time has come to get some color on the go [:D]
    I mixed the stuff 2-1+10% and got to work..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then today exited as a little kid at christmas i started to un wrap the thing..
    I was gona leave the floor down for protection but was dying to se what it looked like..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The detaily bit's came out not so bad..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm so exited about what i'v done that i don't even care about these..!!! lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I suppose i'm not too bothered because i at least i know what i did wrong... never had enough fags between coats.. lol once i noticed the runs i aired them about as much as i could so want much of a nipple to get rid of when i sand down again.. but that wont be for a while because now i can start building the thing... [:D][:D][:D]

3. G-adams

G-adams CGTI Regional Host - Bristol

The blue and the white looks great together, they runs don't look to noticeable. Are you going to putting bumper on your mk1 as you could leave the if you are.

4. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Thanx man.!! [:D]

Not in no rush to get bumpers on her.. but when i do it'll be the chrome type.
    On the whole it looks fantastic but i know quite a few small details that arent right.. But i can't complain being part of the learning curve an all, lol..

Really looking forward to this bit [:D]

5. G-adams

When I painted my car mk2 I noticed a few little bits that wasn't right but painting car as a living Im aloud to lol, most other people won't notice the few detail that you know that are there because it you pride and joy you'll notices all the little things. I can't wait to see how your mk1 turns out

6. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Me too.! [:D]

Made a start this week cleaning a few bit's up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hit a couple of probs already building back up.. lol the main one being vagcat being boring and not letting me sign in or re sign or any thing.?? Right pain in the ass.!! Jamesa has kindly offered the help of posting me some diagrams. but it's invaluable to have easy access to a list of the part codes for ringing VW up and the real names of things. lol

I persisted and got the steering rack on easy enough maybe the wrong way round to fitting steering wheel and pedal cluster but need a boot for that.. (but don't know code.!! lol)

[​IMG]

Then i tried building the brake bell and servo back up.. a couple of snags with that, the clevis on the servo was a squeeze to get on the hinge and i had to open it up.?? when i put the pin in, the clip didn't go on right. And i'm not happy with it at all(if that goes wrong am in for it.!!) Any clues on this prob.?? I'm sure i swapped the bigger 16v clevis for the smaller mk1 one when i chopped 10mm off the thread of the servo.

Another prob in this area is theres a spring that i guess pulls hinge back after the brakes have been pressed.?? but that don't seem to hook on anywhere.? It's hanging on th right of the clevis as you look at it. if you get all that.? lol.

[​IMG]

One more thing here.. haha i thought the hinge looked abit set back..??

[​IMG]

I got it all mounted anyway. Stop it from being scratched lying around.. and i wanted to see what it looked like, lol..

[​IMG]

I carried on cleaning a few bit's steering wheel thing and pedals. Oil filter housing and oil cooler which i decided to change for tha A4 one (it looked abit easier to clean)

[​IMG]

Run out of paint and nuts so made a start cleaning the 02A Gearbox..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  7. nut 20v

nut 20v CGTI Regional Host - Birmingham & Midlands

what did you use to clean the gear box looks good:thumbup:

8. G-adams

What did you use to clean up your gearbox with? As I got to clean my one on my caddy if I ever get the box and engine out lol

9. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

I used a wallpaper steamer and little wire brushes to get the bulk of.. Realised i'd made a mess of the out house up the walls etc, lol, so then the next day i squirted it with some crappy halfords de greasing stuff and dragged it to the petrol station for a jet wash..

10. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Mid week update [:D]

Got the servo thing sorted, Thanx Rubjonny.. Simple thing if you know (o.. by the way.. still know vagcat :() I'd gotten the clevis mixed uo some how.? it wasnt the 16v one nore the mk1 one.? god knows.. but when i tried to get it off it was well jammed on the bearing, so i chopped it off..
    [​IMG]

Looks a bit better now..
    [​IMG]

Found my accelerator pedal so cleaned that up and got all the steering colum and pedals mounted. Managed to get a new U/V boot as mine was split..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some where in the middle of this i knocked my semi organised nuts and bolts over, lol. So i tried to make it a bit better..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'd sent off a plate design for IC mounting.. came today, but needed some feteling.. the holes where a few mm off and the press had bent it out of shape abit.. So sorted that and some local good man from WR gaskets donated me a bit of rubber to make a gasket.. [:D]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

but it's all prob gona have to come off again as i mainly wanted to see if i had room for an oil cooler.. Wish i never did the nut's up, haha..

11. Gravs New Member

Lovely work so far mate, nice to see builds from people that have little/no experience once in a while! Can't wait for updates

12. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Thanx Gravs [:d]

My oil cooler came which fits with bags of room, maybe could have sqweezed a ten row in.? I drilled a few holes and got that mounted, i din't need to take the IC of which was a bonus and din't have to drill any holes to get socket in to tighten from in the front rail..
    [​IMG]

I went to a friend's garage who had a reciprocating saw and chopped my alternator bracket in half and chopped a chunk out the bush ring to get out the mount.
    [​IMG]

I was having a clear out in the atic and found an old steering wheel off a polo i had before it passed away.. fit's like a charm.. [:D]
    [​IMG]

Had some post come.. a set of conversion mounts for the o2a gearbox, also new bush for the other side and rear from crazyquiffs. A new breather assy, reverse light switch and a shroud for the actuator clutch actuator when it comes from VW.
    [​IMG]

Also had the arrival of a New/recycled Sachs vr6 clutch kit..
    [​IMG]

I gave the gearbox a bit more of a scub then painted/lacquered it.
    [​IMG]

Gave the engine another coat of blue and painted the head. Gave it a few coats of lacquer
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All the bit's i'd took off the engine and gearbox got a clean, paint, lacquer..
    [​IMG]

Built the gear box back up.
    [​IMG]

And put some bit's back on the engine..
    [​IMG]

13. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

So been on a bit of a mission to suss cover plates out between engine gearbox, think i'v cracked it now.. with help obviously, :lol:

But this weekend instead of bolting i went on a little road trip to Wales..
    To collect this little puppy.!
    [​IMG]

Not much of an update but i'm buzzing i'v got a cage [:D][:D]

14. Lee_dub Forum Member

I absolutely <3 this build mate, keep it up!

15. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Arr..[:$] Cheers Lee, I'll try my best buddy:thumbup:

Has been abit of a tedious month gagging to get the engine in, but alot of research been going on and sourcing part/part numbers..
    Been thinking i din't want to clog this thread with my reasearch.. but should I.??

Anywho, i'll try and remember what i'v been upto..

Erm.. Rollcage, I had this out on a warm day to see what it looked like set up and get an idea where the feet are gona mount to, and some of the feet need straightening aswell.
    [​IMG]

I'm converting the gearbox to cable clutch and got the bracket from vw and still waiting for the actuator which was ment to be here on the 24th Feb.!![:x] But got all the brackets powder coated in the mean time.
    [​IMG]

At some point i tried sourcing a starter motor but once again making things difficult i got a VR6 one fist which had different mounting holes, then got a 1.8t one which i thought was wrong till i realised the starter cog comes out to engage. :lol:

Had a little trip out to Caddy one weekend..
    [​IMG]

Nice AC there..
    [​IMG]

The clutch cable bracket i shelled out for at VW..
    [​IMG]

Got the chop.!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I thought while the engines not in the way i'd get the heater unit in and the leaf grill on.
    [​IMG]

Bought some heat wrap for my exhaust manifold..
    [​IMG]

About got all the bits together to mate engine and gearbox but i thought i may aswell change the cambelt first.. Which as usual want simple :lol: The AEB comes with to different belts I fist bought the 153 tooth but looked wrong so got the 152 tooth which looks better, the marks don't quite line up at the mo but it turns fine..

So no more hiding.. the engine's getting mated to the gearbox.! It all went fine, haha i wish..
    First thing was the stud for the rear mount had half shared
    [​IMG]

I was hoping to get away with it but na not today.. drilled it out for a new bolt
    [​IMG]

I cleaned the flywheel up but it's quite badly pitted, the pins where bent too.. i got the friction disc set but as i tightened the pressure plate up the release bearing "muff" thing moved.? as if it was engaging a bit/bearing pushing/release the clutch...? if that makes sense.?
    Think there was a few more pain in the asses, but there together..
    [​IMG]

Even with the flywheel/clutch doubts i'v pressed on.. set myself a new "1 year later" dead line of august(got to get to the ring[:D])
    So today i stuck the lump in the bay...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Went quite alright bit of up and downeness trying to get best position to not scratch the bay, but it did happen in places.. mainly one a think.? also the engine was on a tilt which made it a pain to get in the side mount's and the rear on but it's in :thumbup:
    Never torqued the mounts up fully just incase it hast to come out again.? But at least i can start thinking about my next thing to tackle now.. Thinking Turbo and down pipe.?

16. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

So.. hello again :) no where as many pictures as there should be for the amount of time it's been :( but think it's about time i pull my head out my ass and crack on with it again.. this is what i have managed to do over the last few.... MONTH'S!! tut-tut

I suppose one of the first things i did was get the cam cover and inlet manifold powder coated and hamerited my alternator..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For some reason i had a panic about the port sizes on my exhaust manifold but they where plenty big enough so re-mounted with new bolts..
    [​IMG]

Then i got my hands on a set of carbon/kevlar seats cheap, pretty tatty so will be re clothing.. marly seemed to take a shine to em!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Erm.. then i think i went about making a set of sump baffles, there not the best fit but better than nothing..
    [​IMG]

I found the first bit of rust to apear... on a new set conversion mounts from crazyquifs!! i knew i should of got them powder coated properly, but the rubber bush put me off... not very impressed really!
    [​IMG]

I'd got the bottle to start trying to plumb things in... i started off with an easy thing first, the oil cooler to sanwichplate..
    took me a while to suss what pipe and fittings i needed but with some quality help/advice and the parts needed from Alex at Tourques(Thanx mate) it turned out quite a doddle, chopping with a sharp cold chissel insted of a grinder..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And i think that's where i'm up to at the min... i'm having trouble getting my head around plumbing for some reason?? maybe because i've been off the boil for a while? i had a VW mechanic come round for a chat and try and give me a basic A-B of things but i think he just confused his self with what i've done?? started asking more question than i was, lol.. but he did offer some advice :)
    So if anyne can give me a laymans discription of the the plumbing it would be very appreciated :) I seem to have these flat patches in the build where i need to get my head round it all.. Untill next time :thumbup:

17. Joe16v Forum Member

This is awesome. Some cool colour schemes going on anyway!

18. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Taking your time, but I`m liking the results so far. I can understand what you were talking about at Blyton now !

19. nut 20v

nut 20v CGTI Regional Host - Birmingham & Midlands

Any updates on this?

20. ShaunyC

ShaunyC Forum Member

Been slow mate.. :(