MTB Thread 2010

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PeeJay, Mar 17, 2010.

1. PeeJay Forum Junkie

Well it looks like Spring has sprung, or is at least sprunging - that's so clearly not a word, anway.

Any new bikes or kit in peoples sheds?

I'm very much on the mend now so I've rebuilding my DH bike to build up to Whislter 2011 (yes, NEXT year) or maybe if surgery goes well Serria Nevada (Spain) in September.

Just got myself another set of these

[​IMG]

It's my second set of the same forks, they're awesome. I stupidly sold my last set for 400 on eBay when I was in my "i'll never ride again" phase. But manged to buy a brand new in a box set for 380 from the official Marz importer! Result. They wanted a lot more for the '09 and '10 versions and they're no where near as good!

2. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

just sold my kula deluxe scandium frame due to impending ACL reconstruction.... so NO :(

3. N/B

N/B Forum Member

I watched this the other day, and it really made me miss all things mountain-based.
    Just awesome.

[YOUTUBE]TE792g55GUw[/YOUTUBE]

4. PeeJay Forum Junkie

Tis good!

Watched NWD10 the other day, bloody stunning some of the stuff they do on that. Even if I don't really like the type of one-off, towed into the jump by motor-rope stuff.

'Follow Me' is out in May, same (sorta) people who did Roam & Seasons, that should be good.

5. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Building a Cindercone for the old man. Gave it a coat of 2pk black last night, and got some white decals to go on today.
    I think Pace forks and Hope brakes are a bit of an overkill for an 69yr old but he bit ched like hell when I put XT V's on the Lavadome and not discs!
    Still have my trusty Epic, although I've added some fulcrum red metal 5s, some poncy gold bolts and some carbon/alloy bars, seatpost and a ti seat. Damn I love my toys, now to sort the slipped disk so I can use it!

6. Ess Three Forum Member

I have a Klein Adept Race Disc sitting in the shed...
    I upgraded it a couple of years ago with some Avid Juicy Carbon 200mm discs and new fork internals, new set of SPDs and some fancy carbon soled Nike shoes...

I just need to find the motivation to get out on it.

7. N/B

N/B Forum Member

RC31s, or suspension?

I've got an old Cannondale Martyn Ashton with Fatty-Rs, and they are so damn stiff that a Disc brake would be wasted, tbh. Had it ten years, with the same LX V-brake up front. It's fine.
    Rear end is a different story, Magura HS33 FTW :p

8. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

RC38 airforce, although I can't get the bloody screws out of the magnesium brace. Doh!

9. jettadan Forum Member

Thinking of getting a Cube AMS Comp on the cycle to work scheme - was going to go for the XMS but been talked into the AMS due to the better forks, slightly better rear shock, lighter frame etc. for the extra 300.

Just need to save up the deposit and then hope to get it ordered asap.:thumbup:

10. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

Old skool!
    Mine: Original XT (pre XTR) Front and Rear Mechs. converted to 27 speed.
    Weighs sod all!
    [​IMG]

My wife's: Weighs a bit more, and the Hutchinson tyres drag. It gets her fit though!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She still has a bit of work to do!

11. N/B

N/B Forum Member

Loving the M-Trax, but it needs some older rims!
    Spinergy Spox / 4-spokes FTW:thumbup:

12. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

I did put the Campags on at one time. I swap and change.

The Campags came as a package deal from Peugeot with the Comp Frame! Never seen them before!

13. gtijon Forum Member

I've got a new back wheel (Deore / EN521) & some new tyres (a Fat Albert & a Rubber Queen).

I'm currently running full rigid - frame's an Inbred, but may stick the bombers back on if my mate starts catching up with me. My theory is that it makes the local trails more interesting.

The other day I realised that anyone examing my bike would be forced to come to the conclusion that I buy kit on the basis of what's got the daftest name in the shop...

14. Admin Guest

i'm still on the hunt for a cheap cube Fritzz or last years Stumpjumper FSR elite

15. PeeJay Forum Junkie

Ordered myself some Hope Tech V2's yesterday, braided hoses and Aztec Rotors, DH is complete minus any broken bits I find rebuilding it. Think the chain device is bent...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

just about to buy a 2010 specialized hardrock disc, don't know what semi-slicks to buy though;
    Schwalbe Marathon Plus, although people say these are sluggish, but surely not compared to off road nobblies, or some
    continental travel contact....

17. gtijon Forum Member

Those wierd semi slicks are horrible. And Schwalbe City-jets are a strange profile, which gave me naff all confidence in leaning the bike over. I'd either go for something closer to a real slick, or some proper cross country semi slicks with good side knobblies. The kind of semi slick normally sold for commuting and the like is a bit pointless in my view - the tread adds nothing on the road, but isn't up to much off road either.

And if you're going to be changing them regularly for weekend muddyness, don't buy Schwalbe. The beads can stretch and you're left with a useless tyre.

18. jettadan Forum Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well chuffed with it :thumbup:

19. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

My 1997 GT LTS4

Still in original condition :thumbup:

[​IMG]

20. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

is the disc version of the hardrock worth the 50 over the std v brake model?
    I'm not going to be doing serious off road stuff, infact, it'll mainly be used on road so wondered if I should save myself 50 bar which can go on other stuff I need.......